Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Affectionately nicknamed 'The Devil's Bake Sale'.

how have i never reviewed this?

i'm referring to the '05 version. i wear this rather often - it layers in fantastic and delicious ways with Jack. :D

when i open the bottle, the smell is soo yummy-strong, almost like butterscotch schnapps! boozy-sweet delicious caramelly butterscotch vanilla. on skin, it blossoms into a butterscotch for a little while and then settles down into cookie goodness. snickerdoodle cookie dough really nails the scent! i could almost gnaw my arm off this smells so good. after about an hour it develops an unpleasant (to me) coconutty almost plastic smell.... so that's when i put Jack on top of it.... and it becomes pumpkin cheesecake. :P

Just received this today and I am seriously and deeply in love!

Heady,foody, but sexy to the max...wore it out this evening to an event and was literally sniffed by several men and even more women asked what I was wearing!

VERY long-lasting,the carmel really comes out after a couple of hours and just lingers like you bathed in butterscotch...I get bread pudding with spicy sauce at first and then it simmers down to creamy carmel lushness.

Bought two bottles with intent to share but NO WAY! :P

This is a kind of two fer review. '05 and '08.

I have '05 on one wrist and '08 on the other right now. Now, I don't know what the '05 was like when it first came out, so the differences between the two could be due to aging, but I really don't know since I only got the '05 version a couple of months ago and not back when it came out.

'05 smells like straight sugar cookie dough before you mix in the flour. It's like butter and sugar and vanilla just creamed together in the bowl. I get no spice at all.

'08 smells like sugar cookies right out of the oven with a sprinkling of spices. Warm, like cinnamon, nutmeg and possibly clove.

Both are really, really yummy and give me the urge to bake a gazillion cookies! :P

This for the 2008 version.

In Bottle - Pure butterscotch, maybe a little boozy. I like it, but it's something I'd imagine drinking rather than wearing. Of course, the oil in the bottle is always a lot stronger than on the skin, so I figure it'll calm down once it's applied!

Wet on Skin, First Applied - And I am right! It smells like caramel and butterscotch together, but they're similar enough scents though that it is hard to really differentiate. It smells very good, very warm, and very smooth. Like butterscotch syrup, but it isn't too heavy or cloying on.

Dry, on Skin - After a little while, it is a lot more like sugar cookie dough. I don't smell a whole lot of spice, or really, any at all. Maybe the tiniest hint of cinnamon, or nutmeg, but it isn't a spicy heat at all. It is mostly butter, sugar, flour, and vanilla. The flour just represents some body to the fragrance, sort of a roundness and fullness, if that makes any sense. Well pretty much exactly like sugar cookie dough, haha. The throw was subtle, definitely not anything overpowering or offensive. It faded completely after about four hours, which is as long an amount of time as I can reasonably want to smell just like sugar cookie dough.

Edited by AlarmAgent

2008 version.

Sugar cookie dough. There might possibly be some cinnamon, or maybe it's just left over scent from a prior batch of snickerdoodles.

The only question I have, is whether I need this and the rum cookies? Or just the rum cookies.

2008 version

Oh, the spices! :P This is another one that turns to curry on my skin.

I'm pretty devestated, as it smells gorgeous in the bottle. I'm going to try it in my scent locket I think, 'cos I really don't want to trade this one away.

I hate my skin chemistry sometimes.

2005 Sugar Cookie

Buttery, brown sugar, caramel cookie goodness with hint of spice. There are no other words.

This is straight up sugar cookie at it's best.

this is for the 2008 release.

in the bottle: butter and sugar in a bottle. nomnomnom :P

wet on skin: the above, but with dough added in.

dry down: almost pure sugar with a hint of raw dough.

in all: although i'm sad that the initial butter note has vanished, this is a fine all purpose foodie oil. i will go so far to get a back up bottle, because of the potential to mix this scent with others, and also because i hope it will age and become better later on.

:D

In vial: sweet, sugary, buttery cookies, yet also lightly perfumy! Can't wait to test it!

Wet on skin: sweet and golden, still with that perfumy, almost fruity note, so that it doesn't smell directly foody. Very round and smooth - no sharp edges to this scent!

Dry on skin: this is gorgeous, but it doesn't smell of cookies! It smells exactly like Lyles golden syrup, with perhaps a few cookie crumbs at the bottom! I want more of this!

After an hour or so, it's gone very slightly sour, but it's still so golden syrupy that I feel my arm ought to be sticky! However, it's probably a little too cloying to become a favourite.

'08 version

In the Bottle/Decant: sugar cookies with a hint of butter

Wet on Skin: about the same as it was in the decant

Dry: sugar cookies with quite a bit of butter. Much richer and a little sweeter than it was in the decant. Hmmm....about a 1/2 hour into the drydown though, the butter takes on a slightly sour edge. It's still very pretty though.

Comparison to Earlier Versions: '04 was mostly clove and cinnamon on me....very little sugar cookie or butter. So '04 and '08 bare very little resemblance to each other. '05 smells VERY similar to '08 in the decant, but once it touches my skin, '08 becomes much better (it's much richer and stronger, and a little sweeter too)

In the Bottle/Decant: 4 out of 5

On My Skin: 4.5 out of 5

I know everyone's been saying they prefer butter rum cookie, but I think I prefer this one :P

Edited by SurrealReality

You know...its a really really strong thick sweet scent in the bottle. Very heady. On my skin, it still has the super sweet edge. Im getting the sugar, the butter, the sugar cookieness of it, and I am also getting CANDIED ORANGE PEEL.

My grandmother used to make her holiday butter/sugar cookies with homemade candied orange peel chopped into it.

Its very nostalgic, and very yummy, but its sooooo sweeeeeeet I dunno if I can handle it.

If it was a candle or something, that would be nummy. But I just dont think I can wear it as a perfume.

Which makes me sad.

And its totally throwing off my diet...cuz now I want cookies. Damn it. LOL

The buttery note is so strong I can smell it in the close bottle inside the bag. And on the skin, the crispy golden crust and the soft sugary heart are so real I can`t believe it. It`s less sweet than I thought and it`s a lovely slatherer for sure. Average throw and length is medium low, but I don`t care :P

Attention, it causes immense joy to the people around, not to speak about me.

Sugar Cookie '08 is yummy. It smells a lot like MB-Underbed to me, and I love that one too, but only have a decant. I get cinnamon from it, and on it smells like snickerdoodles. It's a warm, playful scent and I'm happy to have a bottle of it.

OMG THIS IS CRACK. :P

No seriously. I'm not even sure why I got a decant of this, because I'd tried a previous incarnation and found it fake-plastic-vanilla unpleasantness. But, knowing that things sometimes change from year to year, and also knowing a lot can happen to a decant over time, I got a fresh decant from the circle I joined. SO glad I did. I said crack already, didn't I?

This is heady vanilla and spice in cookie dough. NOM NOM NOM. It reminds me very much of the Villainess Decadence Smooch I have, only I think this is even more buttery and diabetic-coma-inducing. And dear god I love it so. This is the kind of scent I wear for myself, when I need a comfort scent to lift my mood.

Wet: the butter note is almost too much, and very sweet. Smells like sugar cookies, though. yum!

Dry: everything calms down into the perfect baked sugar cookie smell. A foodie scent, but not terribly so. I think I may get a hint of incense or spice, but it doesn't stay around. This is good stuff! Definitely getting a bottle, though it does fade quickly.

Tis love.

Wet: a butter blast that makes the husband queasy for a minute then the butter goes and the smell of rum 'n' raisin ice cream emerges. Then that melts into cooking gingerbread.

Dry: a cinnamon, oatmeal and raisin cookie with a crispy sugar crust! Oh it's gorgeous. Very strong throw, I only need a tiny spot of the stuff and it lasts for ages on me. I must have smudged the sheets when I tried it on in bed as my duvet smells cosy and sexy and delicious. Sir Labyrinthine loves it once the butter goes, but then he always loves bakey scents on me. The man loves cake.

And?: Yummothy Dalton. I'm a cookie monster.

Very reminiscent of Villainess' Decadence scent, which definitely means this is fanTAStic!

Just like real sugar cookies, though I was a bit surprised how dark and boozy this smelled. Delish!

Sugar Cookie 2008-

In Bottle: Resembles Sugar Cookie 2005, with its Irish Cream sweetness. (Not, sadly, the nutmeggy fabulousness of SC 2004, but, hey, I've got plenty of that hoarded.)

Wet: Creamy and with that hint of alcohol. Still Irish Cream all the way.

Dry: Reliably creamy and alcoholic. Does not give me the "raw cookie dough" vibe that SC 2004 gives me (which is still in my top 3 BPAL scents of all time), but still a nice foodie scent.

Overall: Irish Cream in a glass.

Sugar Cookie 2008

Wow. This is some fresh sugar cookie. It still has all the spice and butteryness of 2005, but is sort of missing the cookie aspect. There is something inside that hints at booze, but it is very fleeting and I suspect that over time this is going to morph very nicely.

This is almost straight-up butterscotch candies on me. It's almost a bit TOO sweet. I get plenty of the sugarness, but the cookie part is a bit..absent.

I think I'm gonna let this one settle down/age a bit before making any real judgment on it. For some reason a lot of foodie blends are way way too sweet to my nose when they're totally fresh.

O. M. G. My skin doesn't kill Sugar Cookie '08 in ten seconds flat the way it did '05!!! *weeps with joy*

This blend doesn't morph a whole lot from bottle to dry stage, at least not on me. I get buttery cookie dough throughout, very lightly spiced with cinnamon. The "very lightly spiced" is another pleasant surprise, as cinnamon does sometimes go overboard on my skin. This stays sweet and delicious, and I agree with everyone who's said "snickerdoodles" for this version. I shall have to score another bottle to give to my sugar-cookie-loving niece. :P

*sings* C is for cookie, that's good enough for me. Cookie cookie cookie starts with C ....

This is the 08 version.

My experience is pretty typical - this starts out in the bottle very butter-y, on is just like sugar cookie dough, and then morphs ever so slightly to bring out something slightly spicy. I wouldn't describe myself as a foodie so I probably won't wear this often, but it's definitely a yummy yummy scent. Mmm, coooookies...

2008 version...

straight sniff from imp is thick, heavy, slightly melted sweet butter....

once applied still heavy on the butter but serious spice and sugary cookie just like the name sez!!

this has fantastic sillage & i am in love... :P