Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Eris

Aquatics

hello lovelies,

been out of the game for awhile and hoping to find some new aquatic loves, like Sunrise with Sea monsters, Selkie or Thalassa. I'm sorta lost on new GCs and LEs, anyone got any recos?

there's a new one out with the Only Lover's Left Alive scents, there's water here, that many people loved.

I loved the waters of the well of wisdom, an LE from the ragnarok line. also carp and octopus from this year's lupers.

Sea of Glass is a really gentle, almost creamy aquatic. Lightning has aquatic qualities on me, but tends be more ozone. Both are GCs, too! :)

I just recently received the Aquatics Imp pack (my virgin BPAL order), and my favorites were Sea of Glass (beautiful waters with some floral notes), Windward Passage (which just smells like ocean air to me), and Egle (which smells like eating cranberries in a fir forest by the sea). Egle inspired my fiance to sniff me and say, "Something smells good... Like the Ocean!" The Sea Foams Milk is very sweet and creamy with an aquatic note. It was a little sweet for me, but I could see it working for others. Cthulhu is much more of a green vegetative scent, but very wet and close. it makes me think of trimming voracious vines and getting tangled in them. R'Lyeh is in its own strange and dark world of shadows.

The Deep Ones is by far my favorite aquatic, it reminds me of being out on a boat in the middle of open water. I use Egle for a sharper spray and Windward Passage for the seaside and I'm always looking for more!

I’m looking for a good aquatic/oceanic scent. Especially one that has a lot of throw and lasts long. I absolutely loved the Deep Ones, it was the perfect oceanic. But sadly, it was discontinued, leaving me to find a replacement.☹️

I have tried Cthulhu, but it’s soapy and smells like pinesol cleaner or something. 

Two of my favorite aquatics are both Liliths and neither are supposed to be aquatics :D :

Storyboard: The Tempest (Ivy and lime rind, marigold and moss) which opens with a grassy note but dries as a beautiful cool blue-green aquatic

Potamides (Honeysuckle and honey, water lilies and white sage) which is an aquatic lily of the valley

Amsterdam (Tulips, peony, fresh flowing water and crisp green grasses) is also a nice combination of grass and aquatic.

My notes say The Sea Foams Milk (Milk cresting on an ocean wave) is an aquatic also, but I didn't care for it.

Thank you. I may try Potamides. Honeysuckle is one of my favorite notes and I love waterlily too.

Thanks! I never even thought to check out those butterfly ones. Though I wonder what kind of scent ‘petroleum’ creates. 😄

Windward Passage smells most like the scent of wind from the ocean 

For a clean,  "aquatic " type scent,  my favorites are Y'Ha Nthlei and The Lady of Shalot 

The Wood-Pile from last year's Yule collection is one of the best and prettiest aquatic scents I've ever tried, but you might not guess from the notes in the description: "Bald cypress and Spanish moss, spatterdock and sundew".

On 11/21/2018 at 10:46 PM, Arcelie said:

Okay I shall. It’s Oceany and not ‘swampy’?

I personally didn't get anything I'd associate with "swampiness" from it - I'd expect something deep, woody/murky/earthy in that case, but I didn't notice any such notes in there. I'd definitely give a decant a try if you're looking for aquatics!

I like The Storm, from this year's Lilith's as well. Sea Rat is good too, and I'll second tempest and Amsterdam. Windward Passage went a bit soapy on me. Dirge or Haunted Seas from Last year are pretty good as well. 

Winward Passage, Denna, The Storm, Sea of Glass, La Bella Donna Della Mia Mente, Kumari Kandam, The Zieba Tree, The Haunted Beach.

So I never thought I would like aquatics as most I have tried do not work for me. But I have a few that do work and maybe someone can get me in line with some similar ones? (Trying to expand my perfume horizons).

Sad Ted Behind Wall (rain - freshwater and strawberries)

Waiting (asphalt, rain, lavender)

Selkie (can’t remember notes)

None are perfumey which is requisite but smell strongly like water. 

I haven't actually tried any of those, but the description of Waiting made me think of Phoenix in Summer (which I had at one point and passed along): Nepalese amber, galangal, red musk, saffron, ozone, and the scent of hot rain striking pavement.  

I don't wear aquatics at all either, but totally adore a lunacy one I got frimped a tester of:  Aegir.  Languid lavender pacifying a tumultuous wave of salt water, guiac wood, and cedar.  It's amazing.  

Hi all! I'm looking for a fresh aquatic / oceanic scent with undertones of fresh dirt / earth and soft flowers (particularly a gentle rose). For Disney people, I'm trying to find a Flight of Passage inspired scent that isn't one of those mainstream mists that disappear within 5 minutes. I'm actually open to layering scents to achieve this, so the important part, to me, is finding the right aquatic note (fresh ocean spray). No booze, woods or coconut, or anything too green / sharp.  

I'd prefer something that's easy to find, so, preferably GC or a recent LE that isn't rare or overly popular. I'm very out of touch with BPAL (left after The Unicorn got discontinued and shattered my heart). I've also never really been an aquatic scent person (when last I was on BPAL, I was on the prowl for rose, fresh flowers and sugary gourmand scents), so I'm not familiar with those at all. 

After scouring the site, I've collated these as possibles: 

Water of Notre Dame Perfume Oil
Brings peace to the spirit, a sense of calm and fulfillment, and attracts the aid of beneficial spirits.

Shakarri Perfume Oil
White pear and absinthe, sea moss and patchouli, labdanum and crushed coral.

Cthulhu Perfume Oil
A creeping, wet, slithering scent, dripping with seaweed, oceanic plants and dark, unfathomable waters.

Y’ha-Nthlei Perfume Oil
A swirling, lightless, effervescent scent: the deepest marine notes with bergamot, eucalyptus and foamy ambergris.

Vial of Holy Water Perfume Oil
The gleaming, indescribably clean scent of purified, ritually consecrated holy water.

Sea of Glass Perfume Oil
Upon the Sea of Glass, glowing with the perfection of spiritual union and the radiance of true wisdom, rests the throne of God. A scent of inimitable purity, crystalline grace, and limitless light.

Ogygia Perfume Oil
Crisp sea air, kelp, and climbing vines, flame-singed cedarwood and juniper branches, cypress boughs, alder wood, violets, selino, parsley, glistritha, and white sage.

Abe Sapien Perfume Oil
A soft aquatic musk with kelp and juniper.

Before I start imp-hunting, please let me know if I've missed anything! Or, if there are any that you think are waaay off from what I'm looking for, please let me know as well. I haven't really had the time to read reviews. 

I did consider adding Amsterdam to the list, but I'm afraid that it'd be too green. 

Thank you! 

I am really new, unfortunately, but I just wanted to chime in and say I am also very interested in the type of scent you describe. I have ordered Sea of Glass because, from my reading of these threads, it seemed to me a balance between the more floral aquatics like Lady of Shalott and the more ozone-y aquatics like Lightning. However, I haven't gotten Sea of Glass yet so I can't weigh in on how it smells. I know people have recommended scents like Leanan Sidhe for "misty" scents, but I don't know if that would be too green for your purposes.

Sorry to not be of more help! But I love this concept as well.

Edited by feyofthefellwood

6 hours ago, feyofthefellwood said:

I am really new, unfortunately, but I just wanted to chime in and say I am also very interested in the type of scent you describe. I have ordered Sea of Glass because, from my reading of these threads, it seemed to me a balance between the more floral aquatics like Lady of Shalott and the more ozone-y aquatics like Lightning. However, I haven't gotten Sea of Glass yet so I can't weigh in on how it smells. I know people have recommended scents like Leanan Sidhe for "misty" scents, but I don't know if that would be too green for your purposes.

Sorry to not be of more help! But I love this concept as well.

Thank you!! I actually forgot about Lady of Shalott, and will check out Leanan Sidhe again. I'm excited about Sea of Glass as well! I've always wanted to try that one. I hope we both find what we're looking for. 🙂

Bumping this up! So far the only aquatic I have of BPAL is Sea of Glass, because it's a great feminine marine white floral. It smells more of salt than dryer sheets, and there's enough of a floral undertone to not have it go into men's cologne. There's a definite clean, crystal blue-green quality to it. 

How does Thalassa compare? For those of you who have and love Sea of Glass, is Thalassa something you'd recommend trying? The frankincense kind of scares me, in all honesty.