Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Eris

Aquatics

cthuluhu and shattered are quite aquactic on me

Thank you, thank you!!! Now I have some great ideasand a place to start. And for the first time in many years I have a list of wishes for Santa to bring to me!

BUMPING THIS!

So I really want to enable the manfriend, and I figured this is a good place to start. He wants to smell like the ocean! He loves fishing and being out on the sea (fun fact: One of his biggest dreams is to be a sky pirate!) and I also think he would like pirate-esque scents. He wears Drakkar Noir currently which smells great on him but still... it's Drakkar Noir! He is also a bit of a clean freak and I asked him what kind of scents he liked and he said lighter ones. But I still want him to smell manly obviously... I think he'll love Jolly Roger and I already have a bottle of that coming for him, but any ocean type scent suggestions keeping everything I've said about him in mind?

Thanks!

I wear both Cthulhu and The Deep Ones.

I hope that Kingsport can be resurrected some day, not because I need more, but because it's beautiful and I want more people to be able to try it! It's my favorite aquatic and one of my favorite bpal scents ever.

There's something aquatic about La Belle au Bois Dormant- it's very feminine and sort of a fruity floral but to me it is evocative of a clear deep pool. I have gotten many compliments on that one from men.

BUMPING THIS!

So I really want to enable the manfriend, and I figured this is a good place to start. He wants to smell like the ocean! He loves fishing and being out on the sea (fun fact: One of his biggest dreams is to be a sky pirate!) and I also think he would like pirate-esque scents. He wears Drakkar Noir currently which smells great on him but still... it's Drakkar Noir! He is also a bit of a clean freak and I asked him what kind of scents he liked and he said lighter ones. But I still want him to smell manly obviously... I think he'll love Jolly Roger and I already have a bottle of that coming for him, but any ocean type scent suggestions keeping everything I've said about him in mind?

Thanks!

It's not aquatic, but If he likes Drakar Noir, try getting him to try Vicomte De Valmonte. It's better, purer, more complex, but has the same pheromone enhancing effect and feel.

Aquatic sea wise, may I suggest Jolly Roger. Also, if you can find an old bottle of the LE The Phoenix, it's very much a ship at sea scent.

Please forgive if this is a noob-tacular question, but I am looking for something that doesn’t just smell like the sea, but like a ship as well. I come from a family of sailors and shipwrights, plus am vaguely obsessed with the Age of Sail, so if I could find one it would be both meaningful and fun. For the record, I am already in love with Jolly Roger, but it's missing two big ship/boat scents for me – rope and metal. I am somewhat at a loss to describe what wet (or dry) rope smells like, but maybe someone with a more sensitive nose/wider knowledge can? A 'historical' feel would also open up the possibility of lime, smoke/gunpowder, and hemp (from oakum).

Any scent or layering combination suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :D

Maybe you could try layering Rogue from the RPG collection with one of the pirate scents, if you don't mind leather. It's not nautical by itself, but it has rosin and hemp.

My favourite BPAL oil is Jolly Roger. I love it so much I even thought briefly, "Why am I bothering to try anything else?" - but the temptation was too strong ;) I still don't think I'll look for anything else in that line though.

Smokey metal - possibly Highwayman layered with something? But I think you'd want only a little of it. And maybe I'm only saying that because it's one of those scents I really want to love but can't.

Please forgive if this is a noob-tacular question, but I am looking for something that doesn’t just smell like the sea, but like a ship as well. I come from a family of sailors and shipwrights, plus am vaguely obsessed with the Age of Sail, so if I could find one it would be both meaningful and fun. For the record, I am already in love with Jolly Roger, but it's missing two big ship/boat scents for me – rope and metal. I am somewhat at a loss to describe what wet (or dry) rope smells like, but maybe someone with a more sensitive nose/wider knowledge can? A 'historical' feel would also open up the possibility of lime, smoke/gunpowder, and hemp (from oakum).

Calico Jack would probably be a good place to start: Sea air, driftwood, waterlogged kelp, and the memory of plundered spices sprayed over worn leathers, rough musk, and the salty wooden floorboards of the Revenge.

Mary Read: Salt air, ocean mist, aged patchouli, sarsaparilla, watered-down rum, leather-tinged musk, and a spray of gunpowder.

Port Royal: The Sodom of the New World! -- touted as the richest and wickedest city in all creation! Port Royal was the center of 17th century Caribbean commerce, a notorious safe harbor for pirates, and the site of our third flagship store, which was, sadly, destroyed in the earthquake of 1692. Spiced rum and ship's wood mixed with the body-warmed trace of a prostitute's perfume and a hint of salty sea air on the dry-down.

Calico Jack would probably be a good place to start: Sea air, driftwood, waterlogged kelp, and the memory of plundered spices sprayed over worn leathers, rough musk, and the salty wooden floorboards of the Revenge.

Mary Read: Salt air, ocean mist, aged patchouli, sarsaparilla, watered-down rum, leather-tinged musk, and a spray of gunpowder.

Port Royal: The Sodom of the New World! -- touted as the richest and wickedest city in all creation! Port Royal was the center of 17th century Caribbean commerce, a notorious safe harbor for pirates, and the site of our third flagship store, which was, sadly, destroyed in the earthquake of 1692. Spiced rum and ship's wood mixed with the body-warmed trace of a prostitute's perfume and a hint of salty sea air on the dry-down.

Those are good, and also The Phoenix, if you can find it (it was a 2007 LE):

This naval galleon was boarded and commandeered in 1713 on the order of Mad Bess Moriarty, along with a fat fleet of ships bearing precious oils, rare resins, and exotic spices. Once the vessels were secured, Mad Bess selected the finest, fittest galleon from the ships that they had acquired, and chose it to be her flagship. Her crew set to work knocking down the cabins, making the ship flush fore and aft, and painting her low sides were painted black, with one thin riband of orange. They prepared black colors, and set bloodshot, glaring occuli along the entirety of the hull. A new figurehead was carved in the shape of a flame-wreathed, screaming bird, and the ship was sanctified with wine, rum, and the blood of their enemies.

Mounted with 52 guns, and manned with the fiercest pirates to sail the Seven Seas, she was rechristened "the Phoenix".

Sea air, gunpowder, lime, salt-crusted wood, a splash of blood, and a dribble of Snake Oil.

Edited by Mrs.Black

I am bumping this thread.

I never considered myself an aquatic lover but after trying the Sea of Glass and thinking it smelt beautiful, I am curious to know what current aquatic oils everyone loves? This thread was started in 2005, so I am guessing a lot has changed since then.

So, what are everyone's favourite aquatics? Can anyone recommend the prettiest aquatics they've tried?

I really liked Banded Sea Snake and The Malignant Dreams of Cthulhu in Love. I'm not really an aquatic girl but those two are awesome! :wub2:

So, what are everyone's favourite aquatics? Can anyone recommend the prettiest aquatics they've tried?

It's been around for a long time, but my favorite aquatic is still Y'ha-Nthlei from the good ol' GC.

It seriously smells "magical" to me and has this sparkly quality from the ambergris. It's simultaneously foamy, warm and reminiscent of the sea.

You might like Lyonesse. Despite having many of my favorite notes, it got too powdery on me and the salty/sweet combo just turned weird with my chemistry. A lot of people love it though, so it's worth a shot.

Oh, and definitely Silence! In my opinion it's more on the fruit/musk side rather than purely aquatic, but it has watery qualities (blue musk, lotus root, teas). It's a really soft, soothing scent. It's tough to find these days but I cherish my bottle and think tracking one down is totally worth it.

Cthulhu in Love is great but it's not as watery as the others. More incense/chocolate/kelp to me (which is actually really good, I swear), so there's at least a hint of the sea in there.

Lastly, Vial of Holy Water. I haven't gotten to try this one yet, but it sounds really clean and lovely. People seem to describe it as white musk, ozone, mint and cucumber.

Mary Read is one of my all-time favorites and conveniently a GC. It's not super aquatic, but it definitely has an ocean-y vibe, and a couple aquatic notes (it's "salt air, ocean mist, aged patchouli, sarsaparilla, watered-down rum, leather-tinged musk, and a spray of gunpowder").

Then there's Octopus, from last year's Song of Nature LEs ("Pale moss, white kelp, sea buckthorn berry, ambergris accord, Somalian frankincense, rose geranium, and salt"). That one reminds me of a New England beach in cold weather.

Mary Read is one of my all-time favorites and conveniently a GC. It's not super aquatic, but it definitely has an ocean-y vibe, and a couple aquatic notes (it's "salt air, ocean mist, aged patchouli, sarsaparilla, watered-down rum, leather-tinged musk, and a spray of gunpowder").

Then there's Octopus, from last year's Song of Nature LEs ("Pale moss, white kelp, sea buckthorn berry, ambergris accord, Somalian frankincense, rose geranium, and salt"). That one reminds me of a New England beach in cold weather.

Octopus is one of my favorite aquatics. It's not as powerful as others, so I use it when I don't want to show off but I'm still feeling oceanic!

There are a lot of great suggestions in here already, so I'll just chime in with one.

A slightly different aquatic I can think of is The Sea Foams Milk. It has a strong aquatic note - but at the same time the creaminess from the milk note underneath.

Not sure I would call it sexy, though. But it's certainly different.

It's been around for a long time, but my favorite aquatic is still Y'ha-Nthlei from the good ol' GC.

It seriously smells "magical" to me and has this sparkly quality from the ambergris. It's simultaneously foamy, warm and reminiscent of the sea.

You might like Lyonesse. Despite having many of my favorite notes, it got too powdery on me and the salty/sweet combo just turned weird with my chemistry. A lot of people love it though, so it's worth a shot.

Oh, and definitely Silence! In my opinion it's more on the fruit/musk side rather than purely aquatic, but it has watery qualities (blue musk, lotus root, teas). It's a really soft, soothing scent. It's tough to find these days but I cherish my bottle and think tracking one down is totally worth it.

Cthulhu in Love is great but it's not as watery as the others. More incense/chocolate/kelp to me (which is actually really good, I swear), so there's at least a hint of the sea in there.

Lastly, Vial of Holy Water. I haven't gotten to try this one yet, but it sounds really clean and lovely. People seem to describe it as white musk, ozone, mint and cucumber.

There are a lot of great suggestions in here already, so I'll just chime in with one.

A slightly different aquatic I can think of is The Sea Foams Milk. It has a strong aquatic note - but at the same time the creaminess from the milk note underneath.

Not sure I would call it sexy, though. But it's certainly different.

Well, isn't it funny how things change! I was never ever an aquatic person... but now I think I am. Since everyone's suggestions I have tried Y'ha Nthlei, Mary Read and the Sea Foam's Milk and I love them all. Bottle purchases fo'sho. Are there any other GC recs for beautiful aquatics (that aren't manly)?

Are there any other GC recs for beautiful aquatics (that aren't manly)?

Cthulhu! It's lovely, not dark or creepy at all. It's very gentle, and slightly sweetly floral, but not really overtly feminine and definitely not girly. It's very clean and light, but at the same time, somewhat evocative of mystery.

You might actually be interested in the lab's Aquatic Imp Pack. It does have The Sea Foams Milk in it, which you've already tried, but if you don't want another imp of that you could do a custom imp pack with the other five and add a sixth of your choosing. The pack contains:

Cthulhu

A creeping, wet, slithering scent, dripping with seaweed, oceanic plants and dark, unfathomable waters.

Egle

Ocean water, hyacinth petals, star jasmine, and fir.

Pool of Tears

A sea of salty tears drowning out Alice’s light floral perfume.

The Sea Foams Milk

Milk cresting on an ocean wave.

Sea of Glass

A scent of inimitable purity, crystalline grace, and limitless light.

Windward Passage

Breezes blowing off of the waters of the Caribbean: marine accord, seaweed, and bladderwrack.

Edit: Scrolled up and saw you've already tried Sea of Glass.. so here's a few recommendations to replace that and The Sea Foams Milk.

Amsterdam

Tulips, peony, fresh flowing water and crisp green grasses.

Very cheerful, perfect for springtime.

Olokun

His ofrenda is the scent of the lightless deep: the glorious, unknowable gloom of the ocean floor.

I haven't tried this one, but the reviews describe it as a sweet, grassy ocean.

Vial of Holy Water

The gleaming, indescribably clean scent of purified, ritually consecrated holy water.

Another one I haven't tried, but it looked like reviewers thought it smelled like genuine fresh water.

Dragon's Tears

Bittersweet yet powerful: salty aquatic notes and bursting with dragon’s blood.

I love this one - it's hard to describe the feeling it evokes, for me, but.. it's like bathing in a pool heated by molten lava. Aquatic, but red and warm and inviting.

Hope that helps at all! :D

Edited by Andyl

Current aquatic favorite is still llaidan and cuthuir (totally spelling it wrong)

Holy water

And her voice!

Girly clean aquatics!

I think Lorelei is really pretty (neroli, sandalwood & ylang ylang).

The ylang ylang & neroli combo seems berry-like to my nose with a little sandalwood wafting in & out, and a bit of something aquatic in the background.