Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Eris

Aquatics

It seems to me like most of the scents around here that are associated with sex, desire, etc. live over in the spicy and fiery camp (incense, amber, patchouli, etc.). I sometimes see honey and vanilla in this category too.

So I'm wondering are there any blue or aquatic scents that inspire sexy feelings? Or is the 'coolness and calmness' of those by default at odds with feeling arousal? Anyone have any recommedations? I'd be curious about any 'sexy greens' too.

:P

Very interesting question!

I came across several BPAL scents that I personally find very sexy, but I rarely mention it in my reviews, as I believe most people would read it as fiery/spicy/foody and find it misleading.

I think it mostly depends on what feelings/emotions one associates with sexiness. To me it's all about balance, self confidence and self control. Cerebral and spohisticated rather than sultry or bold.

Two scents that really put me in the mood are Old Glasgow and a Virgo/Harlot combo. Mrrow. Purrrrr.

Probably not your usual sexy scents, but there you go! :D

I'm currently in absolute :P LOVE :D with Dublin. The thing that sticks out about it the most, to me, is a misty-damp (almost watery) tone that lays over the light floral-ferny smell. Its crisp and clean without being sharp but manages to be a musky-sweet at the same time. (Am I confusing or what?)

All in all, it smells wonderful on me and I'm fast becoming addicted to it. This is the first time I've come to like a "watery" scent on myself and I think I'd like to try more of them! (Its a nice daytime scent, leaving the heavier sweet-wine/spicy-amber scents I've always relied on until now for when I want to turn up the sex appeal and give the boyfriend a clear message! :D )

I was wondering if anyone could recommend some similar smells - either scents that are mainly aquatic notes or those with a good balance of light floral/aquatic notes.

No real recs, but I am SO with you on the Dublin!!! I <33 it muchly.

I have Undertow and Glasgow on my wishlist- both of them sound pretty aquatic.

Dragon's Tears is much the same, yet it is somehow much sadder. Also kinda salty.

~Diamond~

Yay for Dublin love! I've got so many imps and bottles of it on order, its almost sick. LOL

I tried Dragon's Tears and didn't like it one bit. It was very floral on me in a aged sort of way; made me think immediately of "old lady." LOL

No real recs, but I am SO with you on the Dublin!!! I <33 it muchly.

I have Undertow and Glasgow on my wishlist- both of them sound pretty aquatic.

Dragon's Tears is much the same, yet it is somehow much sadder. Also kinda salty.

~Diamond~

Some aquatic scents off the top of my head:

Danube, Bayou, maybe Undertow (haven't sniffed this one yet personally), R'lyeh, and Water of Notre Dame.

If you're looking for true aquatics (and I would definitely not put Dublin in this category), I would recommend:

Amsterdam (watery tulips)

Empyreal Mist

Neo-Tokyo

The Unicorn

And maybe The Lady of Shallot (though it's more "perfumey" to me than watery)

I guess the wateriest watery is Danube.

I love Water of Notre Dame personally, but you might find it a little perfumey, not sure. Second on Neo Tokyo.

I haven't tried it personally, but perhaps Sea of Glass?

Hurricane is also quite aquatic, if in a smell of the storm sort of way. If strong with ozone, so don't even bother if you don't like scents with ozone components.

I feel the same way about Dublin, and it fills my need for another scent like Skadi, which smells like Dublin with a hint of pine!

Although nothing else smells just like it, I got a similar happy feeling from the Unicorn and Szepasszony. They have a certain crisp, sparkling sweetness to them the way Dublin does. The aquatics that I've tried are generally nice in the bottle but don't translate to the skin very well (Amsterdam and Sea of Glass for example) -- those work better layered with other scents I think.

But Dublin totally kicks ass! :P

Sea of Glass & Black Pearl would be my suggestions. I've tried them both & think you would like them. Quite a few of the Lunar blends smell "aquatic" on me, especially "Blue Moon", if you can find it.

Here are some more from the BPAL web site. I searched on "aquatic".

Ars Draconis Dragon's Tears

Bittersweet yet powerful: salty aquatic notes and bursting with dragon's blood. (Gender neutral) Green / Leafy / Herbal

Ozone / Marine / Fresh

Resin / Incense / Smoky

Bewitching Brews La Bella Donna Della Mia Mente

Soft, lush myrtle and dry, sweet melilot with wild rose, pomegranate juice and peach blossom against a background of deep aquatic notes and a twirl of melancholy autumn breezes. (Gender neutral) Floral

Fruity

Bewitching Brews Shattered

A scent as sharp as glass shards, and as brittle as a broken heart. The formula came to me - quite literally - in a dream, and is named after, and created in memory of, the last poem that I ever wrote… almost ten years ago to the day. A blend of white champagne notes, grapefruit, lotus, slivered mint and crystalline aquatic blooms. (Gender neutral) Green / Leafy / Herbal

Bewitching Brews Ulalume

Starry white lilies lend an eerie brightness to the deep black wooded scents of cypress and oak, layered with a touch of crushed dried leaves and the faintest aquatic note. Floral

Woody / Chypre

Love Potions The Lady Of Shalott

The scent of calm waters just before a raging storm, limned with achingly-beautiful blooms, an icy scent, but somehow warm, and mirror-bright: bold gardenia, crystalline musk, muguet, water blossoms, clear, slightly tart aquatic notes and a crush of white ginger. (Gender neutral) Floral

Green / Leafy / Herbal

Ozone / Marine / Fresh

Wanderlust Bayou

A lazy, warm deep green scent with a thick aquatic undertone: Spanish moss, evergreen and cypress with watery blue-green notes and an eddy of hothouse flowers and swamp blooms. (Gender neutral) Floral

Green / Leafy / Herbal

Ozone / Marine / Fresh

Wanderlust Danube

Rhododendron and bellflower petals swirl through deep, cool, dark aquatic notes. Ozone / Marine / Fresh

Wanderlust R'lyeh

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn. The sunken city of the Great God Cthulhu. A hellishly dark aquatic scent, evocative of fathomless oceanic deeps, the mysteries of madness buried under crushing black waters, and the brooding eternal evil that lies beneath the waves. (Gender neutral) Fruity

Ozone / Marine / Fresh

Edited by Red_Hot_Mama

i strongly second ophelia, although i doubt you'll get much muskiness out of that one, as well as glasgow and water of notre dame. empyreal mist. is. effin'. GORGEOUS. believe you me.

I too would recommend Empyreal Mist- it's a beautiful watery-fresh green scent. Difficult to describe, but really lovely.

R'Lyeh is wonderfully aquatic, and doesn't turn too sweet on me (probably because of the grapefruit note which I can't actually smell).

Having just recently tried The Lady of Shallott, I'd like to add my vote for her. I found it to be a very watery scent, like plants and water together.

Penthus. :P

I haven't tried any other watery scents, or those listed above. Penthus though, to me, is like heavy rose water. It's clearly rosey and warm in that sense, almost powdery, and then theres a clean smooth finish on it from a distance though. ^.^ After a while it gets more 'warm water' then roses though which is nice since it comes on strong rose at first.

edit:

I also second Bayou. It's great and clean but dark water smell with a lovely greenness to it.

Edited by Keristai

Dragon's Tears is one of my favorite aquatic scents -- it's dragon's blood resin, swimming in saltwater. So lovely. :P

Penthus.  :P

I haven't tried any other watery scents, or those listed above. Penthus though, to me, is like heavy rose water. It's clearly rosey and warm in that sense, almost powdery, and then theres a clean smooth finish on it from a distance though. ^.^ After a while it gets more 'warm water' then roses though which is nice since it comes on strong rose at first.

edit:

I also second Bayou. It's great and clean but dark water smell with a lovely greenness to it.

Definitely Penthus. :D It's good. And if you look around the swap thread and can get ahold of a DC'd scent called Tears, you'll probably enjoy that too. Tracking that one down might be a long term goal! :D

If you can drum up any Blue Moon, Cold Moon, or Tears, they all struck me as "watery". However, they might be difficult to find, particularly Tears.

I also recommend:

Water of Notre Dame (smells like a creek running through a meadow)

Hurricane (rain and drift wood)

Jolly Roger (ocean, wood, and leather)

Lightning (ozone, beginning of a rain storm)

Bayou (dark water and tropical flowers)

From what I've heard, Danube, R'lyeh and Empyreal Mist would be good choices as well, though I haven't personally tried any of them.