Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Eris

Aquatics

The Deep Ones is from A Picnic in Arkham.

My favorite aquatics are Szepasszony: A chilly, tempestuous whirlwind of clear, airy notes, slashing rain, and a thin undercurrent of white flowers

and Lyonesse: Golden vanilla and gilded musk, stargazer lily, white sandalwood, grey amber, elemi, orris root, ambergris and sea moss.

Port Royal

Calico Jack

Storm Moon

Sturgeon Moon

Water Phoenix

The Phoenix

Pirate Moon

Jolly Roger

Dream of the Fisherman's Wife

Mary Read

The Deep Ones

Y'hanth'lei

Windward Passage

Kingsport

All of the above are great aquatics. My entire collection is virtually made up of aquatics. My skin seems to love the sea..

The Deep Ones is from A Picnic in Arkham.

My favorite aquatics are Szepasszony: A chilly, tempestuous whirlwind of clear, airy notes, slashing rain, and a thin undercurrent of white flowers

and Lyonesse: Golden vanilla and gilded musk, stargazer lily, white sandalwood, grey amber, elemi, orris root, ambergris and sea moss.

Oh, thanks!

I have Lyonesse, it's very pretty (: I didn't know it was an aquatic.

Shattered looks interesting, is the mint strong?

I barely pick up any mint at all.... and as I recall, not many of the other reviewers did either. It feels a little cool on my skin at first, but that's all :)

I have Lyonesse, it's very pretty (: I didn't know it was an aquatic.

The sea moss gives it an ocean-y feel to me, maybe a little saltiness.

I love Sea of Glass. I get clear, lemony aquatic. Sweeter and less 'colongey" than most of them, to my nose. Definitely my favorite aquatic, although I haven't tried all the GC aquatics.

Bayou is really nice in the imp but on me it turns all flowers.

Water of Notre Dame smelled sort of aquatic to me as well, but gentle aquatic.

I have to say that the way aquatics smell in the bottle fascinates me. But every time I put any "ocean" aquatic on it goes straight to Irish Spring. The Sea Foams Blood went from gorgeous to Irish Spring + penny jar in a few seconds D:

I'm getting discouraged about trying any more aquatics... but all these things about the snow note intrigue me. Can anyone give me a more concrete description of the snow note--is it minty, or what? Not Irish Spring, I hope... XD

I have to say that the way aquatics smell in the bottle fascinates me. But every time I put any "ocean" aquatic on it goes straight to Irish Spring. The Sea Foams Blood went from gorgeous to Irish Spring + penny jar in a few seconds D:

I'm getting discouraged about trying any more aquatics... but all these things about the snow note intrigue me. Can anyone give me a more concrete description of the snow note--is it minty, or what? Not Irish Spring, I hope... XD

Nope, in my experience (which isn't a huge amount) the snow note is not minty. It's, well... snow. Not like ozone or Irish Spring or anything else, just cold. It's really masterful, and I have no idea how Beth does it.

But most aquatics don't work on me, while snow does. Y'ha-nthlei is really the only aquatic that's great on my skin and I think that's because it's not a "clean" aquatic-- it's muddied up with ambergris and stuff. If you would like to try to make aquatics work, you might try looking for something with some other, harsher notes to balance it out (though the blood of The Sea Foams Blood is pretty visceral and that didn't help, so I don't know). Anyway, my point was, aquatics don't really like me, but snow does. And I'm sure there are others who have had the same experience. So I'd definitely give it a try if you can.

Nope, in my experience (which isn't a huge amount) the snow note is not minty. It's, well... snow. Not like ozone or Irish Spring or anything else, just cold. It's really masterful, and I have no idea how Beth does it.

And here I was just coming to say that I'm pretty sure the "snow" note is a combination of some type of mint and eucalyptus. :lol: At least, that's what it always smells like to me.

And here I was just coming to say that I'm pretty sure the "snow" note is a combination of some type of mint and eucalyptus. :lol: At least, that's what it always smells like to me.

Weird! Okay, well, I'll chalk that up to skin chemistry differences. It doesn't seem minty on me at all, though I can see the eucalyptus. So, Mousesong, believe whatever you want! There are no easy answers in the world of BPAL. :lol:

Anyone know of any aquatic scents, maybe some with notes of citrus offhand?

I tried La Bella Donna Della Mia Mente and loved it.

La Bella Donna Della Mia Mente : Soft, lush myrtle and dry, sweet melilot with wild rose, pomegranate juice and peach blossom against a background of deep aquatic notes and a twirl of melancholy autumn breezes.

June Gloom! The notes are: Bright summer flowers, fresh herbs, and a bit of citrus rind dampened by the scent of morning mist and rain. It is absolutely beautiful and still not too difficult to find.

A lot of snow blends have mint in them. I can't handle mint or eucalyptus, but there are some snow blends I can handle, like Hunger Moon and death of a Gravedigger. I would say mint and eucalyptus are commen along with scents, but not the snow itself.

I tend to seperate oceany aquatics from the wetlands ones like jazz funeral, but maybe that's just me.

Anyone know of any aquatic scents, maybe some with notes of citrus offhand?

I tried La Bella Donna Della Mia Mente and loved it.

La Bella Donna Della Mia Mente : Soft, lush myrtle and dry, sweet melilot with wild rose, pomegranate juice and peach blossom against a background of deep aquatic notes and a twirl of melancholy autumn breezes.

June Gloom! The notes are: Bright summer flowers, fresh herbs, and a bit of citrus rind dampened by the scent of morning mist and rain. It is absolutely beautiful and still not too difficult to find.

hum..knew I should have ordered that.

Is moon rose aquatic like? the reviews almost sounded that way with their misty rose like description.

Hmmm...I'm finding not all aquatics are equal. My skin absolutely loves Amsterdam. It's not soapy just beautiful soft perfume. It just doesn't last real long on me and I want to find a stronger scent with that same kind of aquatic note. I've smelled salty aquatics (Lyonesse, Calico Jack and a few others) and don't think that salt water is for me. It's too briney and murky.

So what are the freshwater aquatics, with lasting power and a floral bouquet like Amsterdam?

Oh! I just received Poisson D'Avril in a swap and while it's slightly less aquatic than Amsterdam it is a similarly styled scent. Yay! I guess I just answered my own question... ^_^

Edited by HamletsKeeper

Hmmm...I'm finding not all aquatics are equal. My skin absolutely loves Amsterdam. It's not soapy just beautiful soft perfume. It just doesn't last real long on me and I want to find a stronger scent with that same kind of aquatic note. I've smelled salty aquatics (Lyonesse, Calico Jack and a few others) and don't think that salt water is for me. It's too briney and murky.

So what are the freshwater aquatics, with lasting power and a floral bouquet like Amsterdam?

Oh! I just received Poisson D'Avril in a swap and while it's slightly less aquatic than Amsterdam it is a similarly styled scent. Yay! I guess I just answered my own question... ^_^

Have you tried Jazz Funeral?

Edited by Gwydion

Not yet, but it's fast climbing it's way to the top of my list as dirt is also a note I'm hanging to try out and think I will actually like a lot, also a big fan of white florals. Was going to buy zombi unsniffed, but Jazz might be substituted. My only worry is the booze as I've only tried gin and it amps and goes like acetone on me.

Not yet, but it's fast climbing it's way to the top of my list as dirt is also a note I'm hanging to try out and think I will actually like a lot, also a big fan of white florals. Was going to buy zombi unsniffed, but Jazz might be substituted. My only worry is the booze as I've only tried gin and it amps and goes like acetone on me.

I can only have a few booze notes (gin/juniper, wine, beer are right out). I get a fresh water aquatic with dirt and a very light floral with my skin. The booze is so light, i forgot it's in there. Your mileage may vary.

You might also take a look at the reviews for Danube -- it's a pretty freshwater floral on me, though I don't know how the strength compares to Amsterdam. Mag Mell is also on my list to try -- sounds like a tropical freshwater aquatic.

(Personally I prefer seaweed and saltwater, but that's just me...)

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! I'm waiting for my bottle of Thalassa now but I'll have to try some of the Lovecraftian blends...

WHERE is the lovecraft stuff!?

Arroyo Seco is an awfully nice aquatic too! I just got to try it today =) Havent heard much about it, but my sister lives in a place called Arroyo Seco, so its really just here temporarily! Anywho, its got that wet edge, but no ozone, a grassy kinda planty vibe, but dry and something creamy soft to it (not in a foody way at all, just the best word I could get)

A lovely forumite frimped me Jazz Funeral and some other dirt scents too.... :D Unfortunately all I got from Jazz was tonnes of dirt and nothing else. To make matters worse BPALs dirt note doesn't smell anything like dirt to me, it smells like something related to celery which is a smell I can't stand. Smells really sour and sharp and nauseating to me.... :cry2:

I barely pick up any mint at all.... and as I recall, not many of the other reviewers did either. It feels a little cool on my skin at first, but that's all :)

yep, it's a minty feel, not a minty smell, so it feels clear and jagged.

shattered is really an incredible scent, i like it more every time i wear it.

yep, it's a minty feel, not a minty smell, so it feels clear and jagged.

shattered is really an incredible scent, i like it more every time i wear it.

I love Shattered! Interestingly, the imp I received and first fell in love with has no hint of mint at all, but when I later acquired a bottle (probably newer?) all I could smell in it was overwhelming mint. I was so disappointed! Fortunately, on my skin, the mint disappears within minutes and it leaves the light white fruit behind.