Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Eris

Aquatics

See now, this is why it pays to ask! Thank you so much for the recs, and the thoughtfulness, I've never even noticed Isle of Demons! I also completely forgot I have an imp of Cthulhu, which I washed off quickly because it seemed too fresh and cologney back when I first tried it. I'm giving it a better shot now and I think it's starting to darken and get saltier. Anyways, it's helping. :D But Singing Moon sounds so very home-in-a-bottle, I have to try and track some down! Would you happen to have any thoughts on Tempest or Lightning? Thank you again for the fantastic input! :P

I know this question wasn't addressed to me, but I thought I'd weigh in. On me, Tempest was too floral and extremely "fresh" - like dryer sheets. Lightning was also very fresh, but was noticeably saltier and I liked it much more. If you're looking for salty breezes, though, definitely try Olokun. I think the description puts a lot of people off, but it's really very nice... clean and salty. And in the general catalogue!

Other things to consider might be Sunrise with Sea Monsters (from the Salon), Jolly Roger, and The Phoenix.

Edited by Apple

I know this question wasn't addressed to me, but I thought I'd weigh in. On me, Tempest was too floral and extremely "fresh" - like dryer sheets. Lightning was also very fresh, but was noticeably saltier and I liked it much more. If you're looking for salty breezes, though, definitely try Olokun. I think the description puts a lot of people off, but it's really very nice... clean and salty. And in the general catalogue!

Other things to consider might be Sunrise with Sea Monsters (from the Salon), Jolly Roger, and The Phoenix.

Oh no, by all means weigh in, I'm completely lost with this kind of scent! :P Sunrise with Sea Monsters sounds like a possibility, and so does Olokun! Lol, the description definitely did not put me off, it sounds great. Jolly Roger was already on my list for my fiance, but that doesn't mean I can't dip into it to try! :D Lightning sounds more likely than Tempest, I'm trying to avoid the overly fresh dryer-sheet ones... I'm listing all of these to figure out orders for imps/decants when I have the cash. Thank you so much! :D

I love aquatic scents! I'm relatively new to BPAL so I haven't tried very many yet, but my favorites so far are Sea of Glass and Undertow.

On my list are about 20 Aquatics to try, but it's so difficult to garner an idea of what they smell like. I need NOTES, or practical comparisons -- certain soaps or shampoos, etc. Yes, it's lovely that someone thinks it smells like a seaside village, but my idea of that scent could be quite different. Literary ideas and emotional transportation are important when purchasing a perfume, don't get me wrong, but...

Does anyone know if any of the aquatics resemble White Rain's Ocean Mist conditioner? That has a fragrance from heaven.

I just got a chance to try Water Phoenix and I think I might have found another aquatic that I can wear! Yep, I'm one of those who amps the aquatic qualities to the exclusion of everything else, so that so many aquatic blends that smell different and exciting in their bottles end up smelling too strong, cologne-y, etc. once they've interacted with my skin. But Water Phoenix has a really delicate quality and the other notes seem to be coming out to play. Thalassa works like this on me too, but these are two of the few and far between.

It can be aggravating when you really like a note (and a blend) on so many other people and just amp it into something ugly! I really should count myself lucky for the notes that I love and can wear instead of complaining about it though ;)

I have a few very specific questions here, and only one's on-topic. :blush: (It is the important one though. I'm not afraid to go into this project with some unknowns. I learn best through trial-and-error!) What ocean-y scent might match best with dolphins?

If I tried to do the trick with working perfume oils into wood, how might things be affected by using a light, cool scent like aquatics tend to be?

Even less relatedly, could anyone point me in the direction of a medium-small to small, realistic-looking dolphin pendent that would look nice with wooden beads beside it? If anyone wants to be loved forever by a stranger, it would be amazing if the dolphin itself were unfinished wood, so I could work the oil into that specifically. But I have a feeling that's not possible unless I meet a very good carver that takes requests. XD

And could anyone could tell me how much oil I would need to work into the wood? I know it's a lot. There was info about diluting it where I read about using oil on unfinished wood, but I'll only do that if it takes more than an imps worth. I don't like to wear aquatics on my skin, so I might as well use it up, right? And even though I don't wear them as perfume, I want to make sure my dolphin is smell-able. Of course it depends on the size of what's being oiled, but a few rough estimates for different sizes would be helpful.

I'd been avoiding aquatics (I blame commercial "ocean spray"-type scents!), but just in the past couple of days I've fallen in love with Water Phoenix and Moana. Which, incidentally:

What ocean-y scent might match best with dolphins?

I'd recommend Moana for this. It's definitely a warmer or tropical ocean, and I can see it representing the idea of a dolphin very well.

~

I'm going to have to search this thread for some new BPAL aquatics to try! Anyone have any thoughts on what might have a similar feel to Moana? :D

Edited by chaismolokom

Wearing Moana at the moment, which made me think once again that a lot of the scents I like turn out to have an aquatic note (of scents listed in this thread I have loved Skadi and Bayou, for instance).

The aquatics I've loved have all come to me as gifted or frimped imps...like 51 (I love 51, had to get a bottle thereof).

And when I realize they are described as aquatics I'm always "oh. gee. I didn't know".

So--anyone who has more experience and a wiser sense of things, anything else I might love from this group?

(sorry not to know a Moana-equivalent, chais...)

Maybe Ulalume. I don't think I've seen it mentioned here, and it isn't super aquatic, but it is like watery lilies on me grounded by wood. It is lovely.

Jarvenpa, have you tried Thalassa the Galapagos Mermaid from Carnival Diabolique? It's a lovely aquatic.

portalkat--no, I haven't, and reading the description I am wondering why not (I love benzoin and frankincense, jasmine can be iffy with me--either wonderful or not so wonderful).

*puts down on mental list*

I have tried Ulalume; it was nice but not one of those "omigod, I must sell my firstborn child now to get money to buy more* scents.

portalkat--no, I haven't, and reading the description I am wondering why not (I love benzoin and frankincense, jasmine can be iffy with me--either wonderful or not so wonderful).

*puts down on mental list*

I have tried Ulalume; it was nice but not one of those "omigod, I must sell my firstborn child now to get money to buy more* scents.

I just put some Thalassa on so that I could give you my thoughts on it and it isn't heavy on the jasmine. It's mainly an aquatic with a little feminine vibe floating on the breeze. :D

Oh, and I'm sure that your firstborn will be relieved to know that they aren't that expendable. :lol:

Edited by portalkat

i think my all-time favorite aquatic from the catalogue is Y-Ha'Nthlei. it's almost like a melon-tinged aquatic that reminds me a LOT of Selkie!

Szepasszony has changed my mind about aquatics. I thought they all smelled like cologne, until I came across this fresh, bright, sweet beauty! I'm in looooove!

I just opened my bottle of The Festival of Anuket to take a quick sniff (I am already wearing Twilight today, so it was just a "New bottle! Must sniff contents!" thing) and oh my hat! It is the most perfect Aquatic scent I have ever encountered - it IS the ideal of fresh, clean water to me. Bright and sparkling and fresh. If it smells as great on my skin as it does in the bottle - I am in trouble!

Bearing in mind that this is a perfect aquatic to my nose, what other aquatics from the GC would you recommend?

Not to discount any other posters' opinions, but Danube was NOT aquatic on me at all. It turned into a pure floral disaster, so I recommend that you at least really really enjoy flowers if you want to try that one.

I'm going to cast my vote in for Y'ha-nthlei. I'm not the most experienced BPALer but it's very refreshing and has a wonderful, tangy sea spray feel to it. Yet it's not pure "water", it reminds me of a tropical island almost.

I love the idea of aquatics, but they rarely work on me -- they go sharp or soapy all too often. Exceptions are Selkie, Sturgeon Moon, and The City in the Sea. Sea of Glass was one of my biggest disappointments, and I still buy an imp every now and then in hope I will have magically become able to wear it. B)

I'm another one where aquatics generally are bad, but I thought Lightning was the aquatic I'd wear, if I were to wear an aquatic.

Anyone know of any aquatic scents, maybe some with notes of citrus offhand?

I tried La Bella Donna Della Mia Mente and loved it.

La Bella Donna Della Mia Mente : Soft, lush myrtle and dry, sweet melilot with wild rose, pomegranate juice and peach blossom against a background of deep aquatic notes and a twirl of melancholy autumn breezes.

I'm a big fan of The Deep Ones and Sea of Glass. I typically don't like aquatic scents (I find they go to dryer sheets on my skin) but those are two I really enjoy ^_^

Sea of Glass - Upon the Sea of Glass, glowing with the perfection of spiritual union and the radiance of true wisdom, rests the throne of God. A scent of inimitable purity, crystalline grace, and limitless light.

The Deep Ones - Black algae, drooping seaweed, salty brine, and crushed coral.

I hope that helps!

You might try Mag Mell - warmth of amber, the puissance of white ginger and the clarity of verbena, with fresh green grass, lush sage and cleansing droplets of summer rain.

Shattered! White champagne notes, grapefruit, lotus, slivered mint and crystalline aquatic blooms. It's delicious (not that I've tasted it.... but.... it smells AWESOME). It's in Bewitching Brews.

I'm a big fan of The Deep Ones and Sea of Glass. I typically don't like aquatic scents (I find they go to dryer sheets on my skin) but those are two I really enjoy ^_^

Sea of Glass - Upon the Sea of Glass, glowing with the perfection of spiritual union and the radiance of true wisdom, rests the throne of God. A scent of inimitable purity, crystalline grace, and limitless light.

The Deep Ones - Black algae, drooping seaweed, salty brine, and crushed coral.

I hope that helps!

Is The Deep Ones an LE? I can't seem to find it. Sea of Glass sounds really good though.

You might try Mag Mell - warmth of amber, the puissance of white ginger and the clarity of verbena, with fresh green grass, lush sage and cleansing droplets of summer rain.

I love lemon ..and with rain..I should try that.

Shattered! White champagne notes, grapefruit, lotus, slivered mint and crystalline aquatic blooms. It's delicious (not that I've tasted it.... but.... it smells AWESOME). It's in Bewitching Brews.

Shattered looks interesting, is the mint strong?