Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Bastet

... Luxuriant amber, warm Egyptian musk, fierce saffron and soft myrrh, almond, cardamom and golden lotus.

In the vial (initial impression):
Cherries! Cherries and... something else, something sharper.

Initially on (wet):
An oddly pleasing mix of gentle spice and sun-warmed flowers, for lack of a better description. I think it might be the lotus, and - ooh, the almond! Lovely almond. It seems remarkably soft and gentle, like the purring of a large cat right next to your ear. I like it, it feels very Bast (in Her gentler aspects), but I'm less sure if it's a "me" scent.

Wearing it (dry):
10-20 mins after application, it's a warm floral scent, pretty sharp and strong. I'm a bit disappointed, I'd hoped for more saffron or almond, but perhaps it will change later.

20-30 mins after application, it's still warm, floral, yet a bit spicy. Pleasant! I still wish for more almond.

An hour later, it's still a warm and sunny floral, and the almond just won't return. Darn! Nevertheless, I like it. A joyous scent.

Finally:
10 hours and still going strong. A lovely scent! Keeper.

I tried an imp of this when I was searching for a scent to wear for the cooler months. Alice is my signature scent, but it may be too spring/summery for October/November. None of the notes really struck me as something I'd really wear often (although I like amber), but I'm glad I tried this because I think I found THE autumn scent I'm looking for that's totally ME.

In the imp: More floral than I expected, which is nice (I'm a floral girl, what can I say?). I've never smelled lotus before but whatever it is, it's making the scent nice and clean. I think it's the Egyptian musk peeking out from under that lotus that's making it very sensual.

Wet: Ooh, this is a feast for the nose! I like that Bastet is light on me; I've never been a girl who liked "heavy" or "sexy" scents. I'm terrible at identifying notes I haven't really smelled before, but I can definitely pick out the almond and amber. A little more research on the notes are leading me to believe the saffron and cardamon (ginger?) are making this nicely light, but rounded with the myrrh, almond, amber, and musk. Beautiful.

Drydown: I'm in love with this almond note! Again, not a scent I would normally wear (it's too "warm" as I usually go for cooler girly white-pink scents), but so perfect for when the weather starts getting colder. It's warm and nutty, but not foody (I abhor foody scents). Amazing.

Throw is light to medium and wear-length is quite nice. It is so right for me I'm sorry I didn't find Bastet earlier!

When I first put it on, it was overwhelmingly floral, but now that it is dry, it has faded to a pleasant, sweetly woody scent. A little too sweet for me, but okay.

To me, this scent isn't like Bastet at all -- too sweet and plain. If you're like me and you think Bastet would have a more complex scent, try Chimera

Unused - I think it's the amber that I primarily smell in the imp.

Wet - Oooh, cherry-almond! With a slight floral edge, but not floral enough to bother me. It sort of reminds me of the floral in Euterpe, although the two share no notes in common that I can tell.

Later - amber and almond, soft and spicy. This isn't going to be a bottle, just because it's not really something I could see myself going through a whole bottle of, but it's very nice and I'm keeping the imp.

yes cherry almond, with a spicy warmness. Not as harsh as i expected at all. I like it, maybe I'll get a bottle but i'll keep the imp for now. This imp wont close all theway anyway so i don't want to swap it and have ot leak out.

I've figured out that almond is my arch nemesis. In the imp, wet on skin, and all stages of dry down- it's ALL almond. No cherry, no florals, no nothing. :P

Oh well, to the swaps for people who almond doesn't want to smother!

In the imp: Marzipan!

Wet: Marzipan!

Drydown and wear: OK, unlike a lot of other almond scents that I've tried, this one does start to develop some complexity from the amber and musk. This really does have a nice, creamy drydown. I can even hint at a bit of saffon here (a la Scheherezade), and one nice thing about the powerful almond is that it appears to beat the lotus down. The almond and amber really work well together. I'm so glad I've tried this--my previous bad experiences with amber had caused me to put this one off over and over, but it really is gorgeous after a few seconds of straight up marzipan smell.

When I tried this today I smelled mostly honey. :D I don't like to smell like honey, so this wasn't good. After about an hour, the sweetness backed off some, and it was more of a spicy, warm scent that I liked a lot.

I heard a rumor that this gets better with age, so I'll hold onto my imp and try it again. I was expecting a lot more almond, so it's weird that it smells like honey (almost typed hiney!! :P ). I guess it's the myrrh and/or musk that's playing tricks on me. Bastet does have some potential to be something I like.

Does not smell like cat pee! Not much throw, however. Can’t really identify the smells. Trade.

In the bottle – Mainly the almond and a touch of saffron

Wet on me – Again the almond dominates, but there are hints of a bright warm scent bursting with sunshine behind that first note

Dry on me – Once it has settled down this blend is a dead ringer for O on me

Overall – I don’t need this and O, but I prefer the wet stages of Bastet so when my O runs out this is what I will replace it with

In the imp, it's all almonds.

Wet on my skin, it's a slightly musky blast of almondy-cherry sweetness. I like the sickly sweetness of almond, but at the same time, not when it completely overpowers every other note, which it usually does on my skin.

As it dries, it smells a bit like...almonds, of course, but with a tinge of suntan lotion?

Dry on my skin, it's warm and golden and faintly spiced, and not a hint of almonds.

In the imp: cherries and almonds and saffron.

Wet on me: I don't usually have this experience with almonds, but this is simply *screaming* cherries!

After a few minutes: The cherry (almond) note backs down and it starts to smell like a big, sweet, golden flower.

Drydown: honeyed almonds, but the cardamom and myrrh keep it from being too sweet. In fact it almost has a bitter edge which is not unpleasant. All of the notes bask in golden amber, but it's less sweet than amber scents usually are.

A gritty, dark gold scent.

Argggggggggggg! amber like in O! so strong so metallic! /run :P

ok so now that that is over.... Yes this is nearly all amber to me. This kind of amber hates me and i hate it as well! THe next top note i get from this is almond and after that the cherry that people are talking about. But it's kind of a bitter cherry and not cough medicine at all. Maybe the reason this smell so like O to me is the honey as well. I am sure alot of people will and do love this one but it's not for me at all!

I am testing Bastet from an aged imp that has languished in my imp box. I am very tempted to pick up a bottle and let it linger before wearing it.

The amber is much quieter and contributes an overall warmth to the blend rather than a clear, definable note. The strength of the almond has waned over time and the cardamom has gained prominence. The musk is demure. It presents the sensuality of a woman who doesn't have to try to enhance her appearance to have her innate attractiveness appreciated. This blend isn't showy. It slinks.

Adding a subtle spice and personality, the myrrh and the saffron make their way into the blend like a cat commanding the attention of all eyes in the room.

In the imp: Cherry coke!!!

On the skin: Cherries... very sweet but not sickly sweet.

Dry: It totally evolved. It's really smoky/spicy and super sexy scent. The sweetness almost totally vanished, but lingers slightly.

I really didn't think I would like this scent, but I love it! Well, I love Bastet, so how could I not love her scent?

IN THE BOTTLE: Sweet, almost like cherries. This does not bode well. Anything cherry tends to smell like cough syrup on me.

WET ON SKIN: Cherry again, but quickly morphs to sweet almond oil. This I can live with. I like almond oil.

DRY DOWN: Mmm, the amber and musk are starting to come out to play.

DRY: I can smell the lotus now. Nice.

OVERALL: Soft, warm, golden. Sweet but not cloying. I like, very much.

Very sweet and cloying almond on me. I think BPAL's almond note tends to go crazy on me because Hecate smelled almost exactly like this too and there ARE other notes in there, I guess...I'm just not getting them. And it's a very buttery almond that's just too overwhelming. Poo!

At first, sweet yet spicy like golden fur and temple spices/incense. It has a great similarity thusfar on my skin to Cleopatra Testing Poisons except Bastet is fuzzier, more blurred and more spices than herbs—a very dry, golden scent that is fuzzy and darker around the edges. I was putting off trying this because I wanted it to work very badly so now that it does I am certainly not giving up this little imp!

Rating: 4/5

I wonder what it is in this blend that doesn't work on me. It sounds like it would be right up my alley - amber and musk, yum. But...

I don't get almond or cherry at all in this, which is fine by me. The word that comes to mind is brassy - this is a brassy scent. Sharp. A bit bitter. I can see how it would be warm and dry on some, but on me, it's fancy department store sophisticated-lady perfume, and hence not to my taste.

Bastet

In vial, cloyingly sweet almond. Wet on skin, this feels just like sweet almond massage oil, thick and luxuriant. It's heavy and has a wild spice lurking within the almond. The spices eventually mellow, leaving this feeling like a holiday dessert; a honeyed almond spice cake.

[4 - Really Like]

I love Bastet and, more importantly, my Mom is OBSESSED with Bastet. I reeeeaaaaally want for this one to work so I can give it to her as a gift. Please work, Bastet. Lub U!

Wet and first on the skin: Cherries, cherry popsicle, cherry chapstick, cherry candy...why?

30 seconds later: Ok, this situation is improving second by second. The cherry is turning into almonds.

30 Seconds Later: Ohhhhhhhhhh yesssssssssssssssss! :D This is exquisite! Egyptian incense and almonds and some other notes I can't pick out. This is exotic and decadent. PUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!! This is magnifiscent! I don't know what else to say, because I cannot pick out a single note indepent of the others. This is craftfully blended. Incensey and evocative of the sacred and the divine. Now I only hope my Mommy loves it as much as I do (but if she doesn't then I get to keep it! :P Muahahaha!).

Needless to say, this scent does not disappoint me in the least!

Bottle: spicy cherry

Wet: Cherry and almonds, with some spice and smoke.

Drydown: It goes a little fake plastic on me. Which is too bad. Smells like lotion bottle.

I might like this scent a little more if it didn't remind me of one of my mom's ex boyfriends. Ew.

3.0 outta 5

When I first opened up the imp, I got something bright and clear on top of a warm spicyness.

Once on, that bright, clear note (I'm leaning toward saffron?) is still very strong, and more spices come out.

When it dries, it totally calms down - it becomes much sweeter with an undertone of spice. Definitely a keeper!!

imp: spicy, creamy cherries. i'm noticing that almost all almont scents smell like cherries to me.

wet: now it's more almondy, a very spicy almond with a sort of toasted, carmelized scent. this smells very much like a dessert.

dry: the musk and amber warm up a bit more and mix perfectly with the almond. and there's still just a bare whiff of spiciness.

In the imp- Smells sort of like almond extract with a hint of something floral.

Wet- to quote my mother " well..it sort of smells like arthritis cream and grandma."

Dry it's a nice, sort of non descript spicy floral. It's pretty, but not really amazing. Smells like incense. I'll wear this again.