Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
zankoku_zen

Ruhende Ziege mit Kitzchen

Johann Christian Reinhart

Brown musk, leather, castoreum accord, white cedar, amber oudh, and clove bud.

Clove, amber, oudh, cedar, and whiffs of musk and leather. This is a much cleaner, muskier blend than I expected. I get clove on wet, and then I get the amber and oudh peeping out. The cedar is not overwhelming. The musk is there and it starts off as much more animalistic, but calms down once everything else is in play. Musky, clove, leather. Medium throw and wear length.

I had to try both of the goat scents with German names.

In the decant: This is sweeter than I was expecting. This reads as cola-like to my nose, and whatever is doing that is accompanied by clove and brown musk.

On my skin: I still can’t help thinking of clove-tinged cola, but the brown musk is way stronger on me than it was in the decant, and it quickly transforms from lightly spiced cola to a clean, smooth, musky scent infused with clove bud and the cola-like note (I am guessing that note is the castoreum accord because I have not encountered amber, oudh, or cedar being cola-like before, only opoponax and labdanum, but I am not sure). The leather in this is a light, smooth, brown variety and plays a background role. I get some amber under the musk, and it is kind of soft and powdery.

Verdict: I like this, but I don’t feel the need to upgrade to a bottle. If you are wondering how this differs from the other goat scent with a German name (since they both feature clove and resins), this one is softer and muskier. I have to say that I enjoy this one more, even though the other one is stronger, probably because I enjoy the cozy brown musk more than the syrupy labdanum note in Studie einer Ziege. And the cedar and oudh in this aren’t meddlesome, so don’t let those two notes scare you away. :)

I snagged a decant of this on a whim. i've been craving raunchy musky blends, and this one not only had the lab's lovely brown musk, but castoreum accord as well.  i was wrong in expecting this to be a filthy funky blend. it's not at all! 

the muskiness reminds me of that in faunalia , only while that blend is festive and energizing in feel, this is still and calm, promoting a foundation of peace and safety. it's almost as if the musk in faunalia's fertility fete got knocked up, then these many months later produced offspring, and this right here is that moment of peace between parent and [finally sleeping!] kid (yep, just like the name...beth has truly bottled a moment captured in a work of art). 

it feels stately, classy--moneyed but not showy.  we've been hit by toxic winds here in northern cali and the awful air/being trapped indoors + shorter days has been sullying my mood. this is a lovely scent antidote, as I find the lab's brown musk to be comforting, especially in this blend. I've been slathering it, and would also love to snuggle up to a fellow wearing this (note to self:be careful! this is the scent of either a gentleman or a smooth experienced scoundrel) throw is light and the longevity is low as it just landed yesterday and it will hopefully open up a bit more with time. 

Ruhe means quiet in German, and Ruhende Ziege mit Kitzchen is quiet on me.  All the notes are lovely, snuggly autumnal ones (except I'm not so familiar with the castoreum, but it seems to be right in line with the rest of them).  I agree with doomsday_disco that there is a cola vibe to it -- I was testing Studie einer Ziege on the other wrist where I got the syrupy cola labdanum, and there seemed to be a family resemblance though the only shared note is the clove.  The brown musk is lovely, though I'm not getting much leather; the oudh is nothing to be scared of.  

This sits right in the middle of unisex, neither male nor female.  It wears very close to the skin on me, and the wear length is less than average, though that may improve with aging.  It's nice but I have enough comfort scents that I don't need a full bottle.