Thou didst smite the head of Keila,
Smash Kjallandi altogether,
Ere thou slewest Lútr and Leidi,
Didst spill the blood of Búseyra;
Didst hold back Hengjankjapta,
Hyrrokkin died before;
Yet sooner in like fashion
Svívör from life was taken.

Hringhorni, Baldr’s ship, was the largest of all such vessels and was to serve as the god’s funeral ship.

When Loki murdered Baldur, the gods built the funeral pyre on his ship, Hringhorni. Hringhorni was massive, and none of the Aesir could move it, so they begged help of the Jötun, Hyrrokkin. Fire-smoked and flame-haired, the giantess arrived on a gargantuan wolf harnessed by reins made of live vipers. Hyrrokkin was able to push Baldur’s funeral ship out to sea, but the force of her strength caused the earth to quake and the rollers to burst into flame. Thor, angered by the quake and the conflagration, was intent on murdering Hyrrokkin until the Aesir stayed his hand.

Viper-green and smoldering: smoke-swirled black pine, patchouli leaf, coriander, and sweet green vetiver.

I get pine, patchouli, and green vetiver, nicely balanced. I was worried about too much smoke or coriander but I don't sense either too much at all.  It goes on strong but fades quickly on me. It feels powerful, dignified, sombre, awe-inspiring, a tad frightening ... just as if I was witnessing the jotun herself arriving. I wore it when I went out to vote yesterday because I needed her presence.

Pine, vetiver, and patchouli. This one is a dark pine blend. Medium throw and wear length.

Smells like a pine forest at midnight. You know, when there's no moon, and its pitchblack and the wind is howling.

Yeah, like that.

I keep mispronouncing this in my brain as HARKONNEN. fortunately, this scent carries none of the negative connotations of that house! instead it's yet another way to smell like a magical forest, bpal-style.

opens with dark pine and a li'l swirl of vetiver.  drydown is a melange of pine and coriander gently backed by patchouli. it's rich and very pretty!  I've been cooped up indoors due to california wildfires, and this is actually a soothing, calming scent to wear, very helpful as I can't quite get to the outdoors in real life.   yet another gorgeous saturn moon scent bringing much-needed beauty to 2018.

eta bottle landed only recently, and throw and longevity are on the milder side.  I enjoy the scent as is and welcome the fact that it might get bigger and oomphier with time. 

Edited by annemathematics

Hyrrokkin is a dark pine scent in the beginning, I’m definitely getting the patchouli, perhaps the green vetiver... The coriander gives a unique twist, and I’m wondering if it’s also attributing a little sweetness or if that’s the pine. A viperous slithering sensation. The earth rumbles and leaves tremble. 

The darkness fades, the giantess subdued. The scent takes on a softness, a bit powdery, a bit soapy. A wispy pine swirls languidly in the aftermath. The soapy edge subsides and the atmosphere settles into still, misty grove. The coriander reveals itself a bit more and everything stays in this comforting stage for a while. 

I wish the first stage lasted longer, and would have enjoyed getting some smokiness (none detected), but it’s a fresh and calming scent that will keep me sane in the heat. I also like the coriander. It’s the main reason I wanted the blend and I’m glad it’s present. Will be trying this on my partner and seeing what kind of character he brings out of the blend. 

Edited by artisjok

Imp: rich black pine and cunning vetiver

Wet: heavy on the pine with a splash of coriander overlaid, and a deep underlying sweetness from the vetiver

Dry: unusual top notes which thankfully fade very quickly - the pine is smooth and resiny but the vetiver is oddly soapy, rather than the deep, sweet spice I'd normally get. This rounds out as it wears, becoming a rich vanilla-laced pine, and a strong earthy vetiver, and THAT is the behaviour I know and love from you, you little problem child of a scent. We've had some near misses over the years, but vetiver has never let me down yet, and Hyrrokkin will not be the first. 

This lasts a good long time, 10 hours or so, with a strong throw at first that does taper off as it dries down.

Stars: ★★★★

Hyrrokkin is definitely a dark, masculine-leaning pine blend. The black pine note is the dominant note throughout, with the green vetiver behind it. I only got a touch of earthy patchouli after a few hours of wear. The coriander was not noticeable to me, nor was the smoke.

I think this smells nice, but it's the type of pine scent I'd prefer as a room scent.

This opens like a lot of BPAL's recent foresty blends - soft, dry forest floor, pine needles and loam.   But a thread of something noxious lurks in the background and grows stronger on my skin.  It does smell poisonous and is reminding me a little bit of Ajax cleaner.  I don't mean that in a bad way - just there's something sort of chemical and astringent going on that tickles my nose.  This blends with the forest notes until it stops being forest floor and becomes green, cold, and chemical.  This smells like the air on an alien planet to me.  An inhospitable one.  Interesting, but not something I would want to wear - or breath - on a regular basis.