Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
cinderfallen

'Second Skin' Scents

Hmm! My favourite "second skin" scents vary significantly, but right now the ones that feel the most comfortable and "me, only better" (or perhaps..."me only more like perfume"!) are Alice, Mr Ibis and, interestingly enough, The Antikythera Mechanism.

I highly recommend Mr Ibis to anyone looking for a soothing, gentle, warm skin kind of scent - if it smells anything like it does on me, anyway :P The wet stage is a little sharp, but when it dries the sandalwood comes out and oh, so warm and comfortable. I feel like I'm not wearing perfume, I just smell really great.

Alice is sweeter and more floral, but the milk and spicy carnation feel very homey and natural to me. It's also a bit more feminine than the other two, if that appeals.

Antikythera Mechanism is definitely the most 'perfumey' of the three, but it makes me feel like I'm wearing clothes that I have just taken out of a fragrant wood wardrobe. Very warm and comforting, a scent that kind of envelops me and makes me feel very cosy and safe.

Your mileage may vary, obviously, but those are the three that feel most like a second skin to me :D

Oh! Also there's Coyote, but that depends very heavily on my hormones; it's got a strong animal musk note, and sometimes that makes me smell sexy and sometimes it amps up like crazy and makes me smell like a feral cat >_<

Edited by Mawaridi

Mmmm, I've got a couple...

For warmer weather, Sudha Segara & The Lion. Both fade to a glorious faintly sweet & spicy skin scent. For something a bit more special, I wear Judith & Holofernes. Tzadikim Nistarim is wonderful, too, but just a bit more botanical. Once the weather cools down, anything with frankincense - Temple Viper, the original Aries, especially.

Honorable mentions to White Rabbit, Kumiho, Bastet...

Tartchef and I are not quite scent twins, but I suspect our skin chemistries are similar and we're definitely in the same extended scent family. I'll second her recommendations of Sudha Segara and Bastet as lovely skin scents. White Rabbit also gets an honorable mention from me, along with Alice. For about half the month those two meld with my skin in a me-but-better way, while for the other half I amp the hell out of the vanilla in both and they become sharp, powdery, and overwhelming. Bastet and Sudha Segara seem to stay wonderful all month.

I know this is a somewhat odd thing to ask for, but from what I've seen of the BPAL community I doubt I'm the first by a long shot.

So, here's the deal. Sometimes I'll catch a whiff of just the skin on my arms which I actually really like, but is so faint and which my nose is probably so accustomed to that it's hard to really get a good sense of it. I generally think of it as a sort of warm, almost nutty kind of a scent. Like, hm, hazelnuts & peanuts or something. Emphasis on "or something".

My boyfriend, on the other hand, has commented once or twice that I smell like honey. I still don't really get it but hey, I'm not gonna argue with smelling like honey! I suppose if you take the acidic tang out, I can sort of see it... maybe?

Does anyone know of a blend or two that might potentially have a nutty/honey smell that I could try and compare?

The retail only blend Wezwanie/Hold might be worth investigating: Hazelnut, vanilla bean, red sandalwood, amber, myrrh, and honey. It has a LOT of hazelnut, but it calms down as it dries (on me), and if you're looking for something more skin-strength rather than perfume-strength, diluting it might make the hazelnut less in your face.

You could also try the original MVJBA, which smells like peanut brittle.

Inez! Golden amber, vanilla musk, myrrh, cedar, carnation, and red sandalwood. A few of us picked up on a similarity between her & Wezwanie/Hold, but Inez is much lighter on the hazelnutty stuff...

I tend to think that honey is the scent of skin after sex---which is when your natural scent, natural "musk" if you will, amps up highly enough that you can smell it. So I'd suggest searching the honey thread and seeing what they say, and I'm also going to recommend The Brides of Dracula, which is a melding of very light flowers, honey, and Beth's truly amazing "skin musk" note that I find smells very similar to my own. Good luck!

Sed Non Satia has honey is a bit nutty to me. Judith and Holofernes is also in this category on my skin, but is a little less nutty and I prefer it. Definately try O. Amber, peach, apricot, resins, and sometimes patchouli all smell like warm skin to me, and that is really what I love in a perfume.

I might try Velvet Nudie. While it doesn't have hazelnut or honey, it's sort of tangy, sweet second skin. I loved it the first time I wore it, my then it went meh on me - but then again, I like my strong, dark scents.

honestly, Smut 08 did this on my skin -- It wasn't that I couldn't smell it, it just smelled like me... I didn't think I was all that smutty... (Three swarthy, smutty musks sweetened with sugar and woozy with dark booze notes). I didn't get any of the booze from this btw

and then Velvet Nudie smelled like... Lemon Pledge - it was so wierd, and I was SO looking forward to trying it!

I know this is a somewhat odd thing to ask for, but from what I've seen of the BPAL community I doubt I'm the first by a long shot.

So, here's the deal. Sometimes I'll catch a whiff of just the skin on my arms which I actually really like, but is so faint and which my nose is probably so accustomed to that it's hard to really get a good sense of it. I generally think of it as a sort of warm, almost nutty kind of a scent. Like, hm, hazelnuts & peanuts or something. Emphasis on "or something".

My boyfriend, on the other hand, has commented once or twice that I smell like honey. I still don't really get it but hey, I'm not gonna argue with smelling like honey! I suppose if you take the acidic tang out, I can sort of see it... maybe?

Does anyone know of a blend or two that might potentially have a nutty/honey smell that I could try and compare?

Late response, but hey. :) This has no honey or nuts in it, but Velvet Nudie smells a lot like just skin to me, with a faint breath of citrus and florals. Very faint and subtle.

Another option might be a verrrrrrrrrrry light application of O, which when used lightly could meet your criteria.

What scents would you describe as "second skin" scents from the general catalogue? (I mean scents that make people assume you just naturally smell good)

Edited by emtane

I would say soft musks such as skin musk or white musk especially when paired with resins like amber and frankincense tend to read as "skin scents" to me. Ambegris, soft sandalwoods, and very light honeys can too. Neutral and Good from the RPG series are good places to start I think. Though not GC Like A Girl l looks like it would fit the bill too though I haven't tried it. 

Edited by roseus