Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Sweet brandy, dark rum, heavy cream, sugar, and a dash of nutmeg.

I got a decant of this, and it arrived. After sniffing it at WC, I was stoked to get it. It didn't fail me.

In the imp, it smells like eggnog: warm, sweet, with a touch of spice.

Wet, it smells similar, with the nutmeg starting to come out.

Dry, it smells soft, like sweet nutmeg.

This lasted on me most of the day, though by about 10 hours I had to put my nose right against my wrist to smell it. By then, it was just nutmeg.

In the decant: Egg nog, definitely! True representation of egg nog! Maybe a very teensy weensy bit of the brandy underneath, but mostly just lovely Egg Nog!

First Applied: Spicey, creamy egg nog, yesyesyes.

Drydown: Oh nooo. It's going powdery, and a touch bit like Play Doh. :P The nogginess is still there.. but something about it is making it turn into Egg Nog Play Doh.

Verdict: Not sure whether I'm keeping the decant or not. I would love to burn it to see what it would be like, but I do have a whole collection of oils to burn already, so I'm going to have to think this through.

EGG NOG 07

In Bottle: Creamy boozy egg nog

On Skin: Oh yeah, this has a “wang” to it… somebody was very generous with the rum and brandy this year. But… wait… after about 2 minutes this scent totally sinks into my skin. I mean I can barely tell I put it on. Nooo!!! Come back!! It is so strong in the imp, it must have some staying power… So I reapply. The cream and sugar are swet and pure bliss. The nutmeg makes me salivate and crave to drink this whole imp staright. Watch out. Ok, not going to do that, don’t worry. But… there it goes. Fades within 2 minutes. It does leave behind a trace creamy note, but nothing like the gorgeous foody bliss it started out as. The booze has completely vanished. After 10 minutes I smell nothing, not even the vanilla. *whimper*. While I LOVE the scent, I’m heartbroken it has no plans of sticking around long enough on me for anyone including myself to enjoy it’s godliness. Light throw and shortest wearlength I’ve ever encountered in BPAL.

Nog '07

In the imp and immediately on application this smells perfectly like eggnog. Rich and creamy with a bit o' rum.

And then, not 30 seconds after applying...BAM! Plastic! It smelled like a toy from my childhood...either My Little Pony or Cabbage Patch Doll. Not a trace of nog left.

Egg Nog 2007

In the Bottle:

Cream. And a touch of booziness.

On my Skin, Wet:

Cream! and the beginnings of rum I think...

not very impressive at this stage. :D

On my Skin, Dry:

more complex now -but still predominantly cream.

I can smell the rum now & some spiciness to it as well.

I'm not an Egg Nog drinker so I can't compare this to the real thing - but I'd probably sip this if it had been handed to me in a cup....

(though hopefully I would have noticed the lack of color & consistancy before taking the plunge :P )

Verdict:

I will wear this around the holidays, but that's gonna be it.

We'll see if it doesn't make it to the "elsewhere" pile in time.

5 of 10 Ranking

Like someone earlier in the thread said, these Yule scents are making a foody out of me, when I never thought that was possible.

Egg Nog works far better than I expected-- it's not overly sweet, and the nutmeg jumps out on me, with the hint of booziness in the background. It fades after a couple hours, but not so fast that it's just not there. I might try making this into a lotion or a solid perfume in hopes of getting it to stretch a bit.

On my skin its creamy and a bit of rum, it's really lovely and I get a bit of vanilla But once it's dry it turns into plastic, just like Antique Lace did on me. :P Why must it fail on me?

As I've mentioned in a couple of my other recent reviews, I'm not generally a fan of foody scents, but for some reasons I ordered decants of several of the foodier Yule scents this time around. In this case, brandy and spice kind of appealled to me.

On first contact, it thankfully doesn't smell very foody at all -- there's none of that nasty fake buttery note that kills a lot of the foody scents for me. There's a bit of booze and a bit of spice, but it's a very light, gentle scent.

And inside of ten minutes, it is completely gone. :P So I've now reapplied it, and am paying closer attention. Very nutmeggy -- it smells like sweet, spicy booze, with a bit of that ever-popular sugar note from Smut, Devil's Night, etc. There's an element to it that's a bit like Chimera, one of my favourites, but it's somehow lacking in substance -- it could use a bit of musk or some kind of resin to flesh it out a little.

As it dries down, there is a trace of that unpleasant synthetic fake-foody note that kills most of the foody scents to me, but that's just before it pulls its disappearing act.

So on the whole, not a winner, despite little flashes of appeal here and there during its Mayfly-like lifespan.

Grade: C+

In the imp: This is egg nog for adults. It's the kind of egg nog you take a sip of and then wake up two days later under Magdalen bridge, cuddling a door. It smells distinctly Baileys-esque; presumably that's the whole brandy-cream-vanilla thing. There's some nutmeg in the background, though.

I fear my colleagues may look at me funny if I try this on.

On the wrist: Ohthankgod. The intense brandyness has died down a littlen and the nutmeg has picked up; it's now in equal parts Baileys and nutmeg, though a softer, creamier scent than either. The rum now starts to come through and drown out the brandy. It's a warm winter evening scent, though I still fear that just sniffing it may make me drunk :P

One hour later: I smell softly alcoholic, with a hint of nutmeg. It's a nice scent, but my old enemy metallic-tang is trying to creep up on it from behind; and anyway, I don't want to smell quite this boozy :D

In the bottle, it's boozy. Rum mostly, though it could have a little brandy quality. Just a hint of nutmeg.

Wet, it's rum with a creamy background. Drying down, the nutmeg comes out.

Dry, it's definitely eggnog! It's the scent equivalent of a mouthful of something creamy, eggy, and boozy, with a dash of nutmeg. And then it starts to fade out. It doesn't fade as quickly for me as some, but within a half hour, it's as if it never was. The creamy eggy note, being the last to come out, is the first to leave. Sigh, I love this, but it's so ephemeral.

2007 version

In the bottle: rum

Wet: Rum, cream, egg, nutmeg, and powdered sugar.

Drydown: noggy (egg/cream notes).

Very fun, but below average throw and wearlength. Might be best suited for a room scenter (or a scent locket).

ETA: I wore this all day on Christmas Day. I was entertaining at home, so I reapplied it three times. One of the times, but only one, I caught a hint of the plastic/Playdoh note other reviews have noted. Maybe the oil just needed mixing. It was a lot of fun to keep this scent at a reasonable level.

I'm going to buy me a scent locket, since I didn't get one for Christmas.

Edited by Czarina

Egg Nog smells quite boozy in the bottle, but once it hits my skin it's the lovely, thick and creamy scent with just a hint of spice. I don't get any booziness (which is good b/c sometimes it makes me queasy) and the lovely spiced cream scent actually has a lot of staying power and throw for me :P This is exactly what I wanted this scent to smell like, and I am so grateful that Beth and co. decided to bring this back!

Egg Nog 2007 – This is the best egg nog perfume scent I’ve ever encountered. It smells exactly like the Southern Comfort brand egg nog I have in my fridge right now – creamy, sweet, almost custardy, boozy (mostly rummy), and very, very nutmeg-spicy. If I didn’t know better, I’d try to drink my bottle of Egg Nog! My past experience with Egg Nog is that it smelled great, but disappeared off my skin instantly. This year’s Egg Nog smells better than ever – boozier and creamier and spicier than before, but as in the past, it disappears from my skin in less than 10 minutes. This is one that will be used in my oil burner and I’ll definitely give it a shot in my scent locket. Although if I’m wearing at work, my coworkers may think I’ve been hitting the bottle at my desk because it’s that boozy. Yum!

At first it's boozy and sweet, then it turns to play-doh, then within ten minutes it's gone completely. Oh well. I knew this one was a long shot.

Oh my... I've never had spiked egg nog, but if it tastes as good as this smells, then I want some pronto! Egg Nog '07 is sweet brandy and cream over egg. If you liked Egg'd Mailbox, you have to try this.

2007 version - In the bottle, this smells purely of rum and brandy! Its so boozey I'm surprised I didn't get tipsy from sniffing it. :P

On my skin, the rum/brandy fades out within a few moments and I get a creamy, vanilla egg nog scent. This is a very light scent and faded away within a few hours. But its delicious while it lasts!

Egg Nog. Hmmm. Of all the Yule scents, this is one of the ones I most looked forward to testing. Not because I felt it would smell best on me but because I'm starting to realise that food-scented perfumes can really be a Very Good Thing. Plus, previous reviews really had me worked up about it.

In the bottle it's all boozy goodness. I get the brandy with a little sweetness in the background.

Wet on the skin: Oh sweet holy boozy custardy heaven! This is GORGEOUS! It's very light - in fact it's so light I fear it won't last long - but it's utterly wonderful. I've never drunk egg nog - It's not done so much over here - but if it's anything like this smells (which, apparently, it is), then I'll definitely be wanting to try some.

Dry: Custard and nutmeg and still hints of the brandy. Oh, this is incredibly lovely. When I first started trying BPAL, I pretty much scoffed at people who were squeeing about foody scents. After all, THAT'S not a perfume, now is it?

Ahahahahaha. This is definitely going to be a multiple bottle buy. It's utterly incredible and, while its short skin life is a shame, it's just too good a scent to let that put me off.

What can I say? This smells just like Egg Nog. In the imp it's a little spicy and I can definitely smell the alcohol, but once it's dry it's very light. So light, in fact, that after a few minutes I can barely smell it anymore. :P I love this, so I'm going to give it another (or another 10) tries, but my skin seems to be eating the scent. :D

Smells like butter rum lifesavers for a minute, and then it's straight on into genuine Egg Nog. Spicy, boozy, creamy, awesome.

I need a bottle so I can slather myself silly. And I need a scent locket so that I can actually smell it for longer than 5 minutes, because it only takes that long for my skin to eat it, leaving behind the faintest trace of dusty cinnamon and nutmeg.

I was hoping to get a boozy egg'd mailbox from this, and in the bottle, it seemed promising: spicy eggnog and booze. And when it is wet, is like that on me.

But as soon as it dries it turns to plastic. :P

Ah well, I have Egg'd mailbox, which has a nice egg nog vibe--enough for me.

In imp, this smells just like real egg nog - I get brandy, cream, nutmeg, and sugar.

On my skin, it's just like it smells in the imp - like a big glass of egg nog. I'm not a huge fan of drinking egg nog, but so far, smelling like it isn't so bad.

It's very faint when it dries, but it stays very much the same. It's an "eh" for me.

In the Bottle: creamy nog goodness... nutmeg and cream

Wet: More of the spice comes out and the cream fades a little

Dry: Where'd it go? Faint play doh smell remains.

Oh well. They can't ALL be winners for me. :P

Not a lot to say here - like a few others I really dislike eggnog as a drink but I have always loved the smell. This is exactly that - lots of rum with a slightly creamy base and warm spices. Lovely and a definite keeper!

This was the one 2007 Yule I ordered in bottle form.

And SOOOO glad I did! The first couple of times I applied it faded very quickly after about 1/2 hour of smelling exactly like rummy eggnog. But the last few times I've tried it it hangs around longer....I think even a slight aging/settling period is helping tremendously!

I wore some to work last week and (as I was worried about the lasting factor and didn't want to take my whole bottle) wore some in a scent locket as well! It lasted through the night (I work graves), and even my co-workers were impressed and agreed that it smelled just like spicy, boozy eggnog!

I will treasure my bottle well!