Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Sweet brandy, dark rum, heavy cream, sugar, and a dash of nutmeg.

Egg Nog 2011 is the first BPAL that I've ever tested, frimped to me by the very kind BuxomM!

I could definitely smell the cream and the spice, and maybe a tiny bit of the alcohol. I did get Play-Doh every now and then, but it's not consistently there (and for some reason it only showed up on one wrist). Egg Nog smells sweet and yummy but very subtle. I think it'd be pretty hard to notice unless your nose was right up near my skin. For the moment I would say it's just a "nice" scent. I'll put it away until December and see if it gets any richer by the time it's in season again. Edited by bellumed

2011 version:

Wet: A nice, light egg nog scent. Not especially rich.

First on: Once it's on me, it's pretty muted. Hard to get a good whiff of it.

Dry: Mostly just sugar and cream now–hardly there at all.

Edited by Melissa Della

This is the 2011 version. This one seems more spicy at first from what I remember. It dries to a creamy, slightly plasticy vanilla on me. I would say it smells more like egg nog wet. Though this is nice to try, it isn't me.

Nog has been a lovely comforting scent to me for a while. I had an American roommate for a while in my brief stint trying a certain college and every time i wore it, she couldn't stop hugging me and said it reminded her of christmas at home, which I thought was adorable. In the bottle, it smells exactly like a lovely, creamy eggnog. Wet it has the same tones, but a little less creamy and a little more cinnamonny and spicey. It has a waxy undertone to it that reminds me of a candle thats just been lit. Dry my skin absolutely loves this. It has a sweet, spicey, creamy throw that my skin sadly eats up (because it's so yummy) so I have to re-apply quite frequently. Worth it. Looking for a backup bottle as I'm typing this, and could not recommend more.

2013 version

Egg Nog 2013 you are an odd duck to me. You smell like boozy rum and egg nog on wet, and then dry to a plasticky licorice. WTF?

If it had stuck like the wetstage, I'd be a very happy camper!

EGG NOG '13

In the Imp: Sweet and creamy, slightly rummy, it almost reminds me of something floral.

Wet: That's what it is! Pink carnations. This smells like the actual flower that no accord/fragrance oil could come close to. It's creamy and sweet, and you can also smell the rum/brandy but it's not boozy at all. I think the nutmeg is contributing to that carnation smell.

Drydown: This is all creamy, sweet pink carnations on me.

Verdict: I LOVE this perfume. I find carnation to be disappointing in most blends, but this is perfect, and carnation isn't even one of the notes! It's random and obviously my nose is screwed, but hell, I'll take it! I just wish it wasn't so darn light on my skin.

4.5/5

This is for the 2013 version.

In the decant: A boozey cream beverage in one of those plastic to-go cups.

Wet: Same as on cold sniff. *wrinkles nose*

The dry-down: Just not like the various brands of egg nog that we get at the store. And that plastic note is a really turn-off. :(

In the vial it is a dead ringer for McDonald's Eggnog shakes, which I love. On me, it's softer and more nutmeg. It smells like Christmas. Unfortunately it's eaten up by my skin in less than 10 minutes. I can barely maybe get a hint of scent if I press my nose to the spot, but otherwise, POOF! The magic disappearing eggnog D:

This is a delicious, spicy, (kind of nutmeg-like), and very creamy. This smells exactly like a good quality egg nog. I may invest in a decant next year, I kind of like it, but it is a tad bit foody. Dries even specier. Nice.

2015 version: All spice and no nog. :)

Edited by milo

version 2013

In the decant: Very hard to pinpoint what exactly this smells like. Vanilla? I would actually want to call it a cheap, plastic-type vanilla that at least I find certain lip balms or scented candles to smell like. It doesn't have that real, rich and creamy vanilla scent, if you know what I mean? I haven't really encountered this kind of plastic-type smell from BPAL before, and it worries me about how this will smell om my skin.

On: Smells just like a lip balm I had as a kid with that cheap smell to it. No good vanilla at all. I tend to like cooler vanillas, like coconutty or smokey instead of the warm bakery and buttery ones. But this is neither, this is just bleh. It's trying hard to change its appearance but the question is, will it?

As I'm typing this it does however change a slight bit. Some spices are added to the mixture! I would say those are nutmeg with a splash of faint cinnamon.

Still, I would not say this is anything for me, it has started to make me a little nauseous actually, which is never a good sign.

Washed it off after five minutes.

2014 version

In the bottle and wet on the skin: Definitely smells like the awesome eggnog of youth. Perfect balance of cream, vanilla, nutmeg. Maybe a hint of cinnamon.

Drydown: Vanilla becomes key element. I'm not experiencing the plasticy vanilla from year's past, but it doesn't smell exactly like the creamy vanilla from the beginning. I think some light fruitiness is behind it, maybe coconut. It vaguely reminds me of sunscreen at the beach, mixed with some artificial vanilla.

So, not a complete success this year if I'm gauging others' expectations accurately, but for me, it's worth it just for the initial smell at the beginning. I definitely recommend a decant if you're unsure.

2014 version

This is my first bottle of Egg Nog after having eyed it in previous years. There was nothing sweet and creamy in my collection and I decided it was time to remedy that.

In the bottle it's pure eggnog, just like the real thing. How does Beth do this?

Wet on my skin it's a sweet, creamy, yet cool scent with a nutmeg note that begins to overtake everything else as it dries.

Once it's dry, nutmeg is all I smell when I hold my wrist close, but it does waft a subtle creamy scent from the hollow of my throat up to my nose. The creamy scent is not plasticky or strong, and doesn't curdle like I was worried it might. It's sort of a vanilla cream singing backup for nutmeg. In my experience, nutmeg is a note that I have amped in a couple of other scents so my experience might be atypical. Judging by the description, I think the note that I'm finding hard to identify is brandy. It's not strong, but you still might want to avoid wearing it to work until you figure out whether that note stands out on you.

Last night I applied some before a party, but maybe two hours later I decided to add some Gingerbread Snake because I decided I needed more oomph for a party. The two scents did layer well, by the way. I'm going to say this will be a great scent for staying at home on a winter night, or for the kind of holiday gatherings where something subtle works best.

Edited by boomtownrat

2011 Egg Nog: it kinda just smells like Snow White with a little nutmeg. it's nice, but wish it was eggier.

I have wanted to try this for so long so I jumped on the chance to get a decant.

It's so creamy and delicious. A ton of nutmeg on me and a tiny tiny trace of brandy. I truthfully can't even smell the brandy until I press my nose right at my wrist. When it is fully dry though it smells just like egg custard pie or crème brulee. I thought Feeding The Dead was a dead ringer for crème brulee but it has some competition with this. Yum

I tried Egg Nog 2011 on one wrist and 2013 on the other. Both started out boozy, then settled into nutmeg and cream. Both were beautiful, but rather faint, and faded much quicker than most of the 200-odd BPAL's I've tried.

2013 was definitely spicier than 2011, except for when it occasionally wasn't.

Egg Nog 2011 - Egg Nog is one of my most favorite drinks! So I bought this bottle the year it came out. This is perfect Eggnog! I can smell the egg, the nutmeg, vanila, cinnamon and all the other christmassy goodness! BUT it fades SO fast and has barely any throw. So I sadly let this bottle go.

Egg Nog 2013 - So as stated before I love Egg Nog so I went for this again in 2013 because I hoped it would last longer this time. BUT sadly I had the exact same outcome! It's a perfect Eggnog scent and smells like the real thing but absolutely no staying power! I really wish it did because if so it would be a top five even holy grail scent for me, but low throw and no staying power breaks my heart. I bet I'll keep trying this scent though maybe one day it'll stick around.

Egg Nog 2014 - This one was gifted to me and its just as delicious as the others. Very similar to 2013 and the staying power was slightly improved.

Edited by vanilla323

In Imp: Clear with just a hint of yellow. Butterscotch and yellow butter cake.

Wet: Butter rum and yellow butter cake. Making me sooo hungry.

Dry: Mellows to freshly baked yellow butter cake and maybe really good sugar cookies. Raw sugar. Cookie dough. Turns into an almost sweet musk? Then almost sweet Play-Doh?

Later: A bit of sweet-smoky wood. Sweet powdery burning wood. Like burning Sweet Gum wood.

2014 edition

My dream scent, the one I crave to bits, is a true Creme Brulee perfume. This isn't a creme brulee scent, but that's the kind of custardy sweetness to it. On me, it's some kind of foody cross of creme brulee, creme caramel and the custard in Chinese egg custard buns. It's rich, custardy and vanilla forward, but isn't an obtrusive scent. I like it!

Alas, like most creamy scents it turns to ashtray after wearing, but it's still fab :)

2007 version

I don’t know how this was when fresh, but when it has aged nine years, I smell no rum in it. Sugared cream is the strongest note on my skin, with a pleasant, almost balsamic brandy note (without any accompanying alcohol vapors) and nutmeg in support.

Very low throw and wear length. My skin drinks this right up.

2016 version

Wet/in the imp – sweet rum, maybe a hint of nutmeg, but primarily the same sweetened rum note I love in Kill-Devil
Freshly applied – once on skin, the vanilla comes out and it becomes warmer and less boozey
Five-ten minutes in – after a few minutes, the rum note re-emerges, but it’s a foody/desert-sauce rum rather than a boozey one. This is reading as less custardy eggnog to me and more as the rum sauce that goes on bananas foster. Something about it reminds me of burnt sugar.
This is reassuring me that the plasticky note in SN French Vanilla was a one-off, though, because Egg Nog isn’t plasticky at all.
30-40 minutes in – now it's custardy, like vanilla custard with burned sugar (I’m going to have to try this in my hair to see if the Kill-Devil-like rum note lasts longer there)
Two hours in– by two hours, Egg Nog has faded almost entirely to a warm, sugary-vanilla skin scent. It was nice while it lasted, though, possibly one of my top three from this year's Yules.
Edited by Elspethdixon

2016 version:

I got a decant of Egg Nog because somehow despite being a foody scent lover I haven't tried it before. I already have Mother Shub's Spiced Lait de Chevre, which mostly fills the eggnog scent niche for me, but I wanted to see how "regular" Egg Nog compared.

In the decant: Egg nog. Exactly what it says on the tin, LOL. Rich, creamy, booze, nutmeg. The combination smells like raisins a little bit to my nose.

On my skin: I get a blast of that "raisin" note right away (I think it's the sugar combined with one of the liquor notes) and then the nutmeg amps up almost immediately. I'm not smelling cream (which is not necessarily bad, it's a hit or miss note on me and can smell sour) and the rum seems to just be smelling like dark sweet sugar. I'm mostly just getting the nutmeg and sugar....no rich creaminess on my skin, and this has very little throw. I'll put on a bit more and see what happens. Hmm.... this time, sniffing it closely, I do get a sugared milk scent after the first wave of raisin then nutmeg. But overall, Mother Shub's is much more rich and creamy on me, and has a much stronger throw (to the point that by the end of a whole day of wearing it, it's almost too much). Egg Nog is surprisingly light on me and more of a skin scent.

I think I'll be sticking with Mother Shub's but glad I finally tried this one.

I love rum and brandy notes, sweet scents, spices, so even though I am not a HUGE foodie scent lover anymore, I figured I might as well give this a go.

Wet: Ugh. Somehow, I kid you not, this smells like banana medicine on me. You know, that gross stuff you had to drink as a kid? Blarg. WHY, skin, WHY??

Dry: This is so incredibly artificial on me. I may have to accept that I can't really do cream/milk notes. It's not banana medicine anymore, it's scented doll plastic. Not good. Sad.

(2016 version.)

Wet on skin: EXACTLY like real egg nog. If I didn't know I'd just put perfume on, I would be convinced I'd spilled some actual egg nog on my arm. That's not an exaggeration, guys. IT SMELLS REAL AND I AM FREAKING OUT. It's creamy and nutmeggy, with just a hint of booze.

Dry on skin: This fades pretty fast, which is kind of a bummer. Pretty much zero throw. But when I sniff my arm up close, it's a really soft and pretty nutmeg-vanilla, a bit reminiscent of Christmas cookies. It's a lot lighter than you'd expect something called Egg Nog to be; honestly, after it dries down, there's nothing heavy or rich about it. It's actually almost... airy, if that makes sense? I really like it, I just wish I could smell it from further than two inches away.

Verdict: I'll be keeping this one; it's the perfect scent to slather before bed, comforting and not too strong.

This is going to sound dramatic, but: this is the tragedy of the season for me. Eggnog is one of my main holiday staples, but I recently developed lactose intolerance and I can't drink it anymore. When I saw this perfume, I thought it would be the perfect solution, but it doesn't work at all on my skin. It starts fine fresh from the bottle--I definitely smell rum and nutmeg--but then it disappears less than fifteen minutes later. There's still a wisp of something there that's very odd, if vaguely pleasant. Things that come to mind are the vanilla candle note from The Lights of Men's Lives mixed with milky cotton candy. Sadly, no nog at all to be found.