Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Sweet brandy, dark rum, heavy cream, sugar, and a dash of nutmeg.

OK, I don't have much to add with this one but WOW! It smells exactly like the eggnog my mother used to make at Christmas. Yummy! I let mom take a whiff (since she bought it for my Christmas prezzie and all) and she was floored "That smells exactly like...eggnog!"

My skin does seem to suck it up very quick (less than an hour) so I'm glad I'll have two bottles of this one.

Egg Nog 2007

In the bottle: Rum and cream

Wet: Vanilla, rum, cream and delicate spice (nutmeg)

Drying/Dry: This smells just like cake batter. Thick, heavey, sweet, creamy, vanilla-infused richness.

I definitely need a second bottle of this. It's luxurious and decedent. I want to bathe in this.

I received this as a decant just after Christmas. I want to like it, SO much.

In the bottle: Boozy, strong, I wish egg not tasted as good as this smells.

Wet: Rich, creamy, sweet. The booze is still there, but eases back a bit. Yum.

Dry: Where did it go? Other mentioned a plastic smell. Not sure if that happened because it is nearly gone. Wah!

Re-application: Ok, maybe I just need more. Maybe my skin is really dry this morning. I don't know. This is so light on my skin. I want it to be more. Stronger. Perhaps I need to give up on trying to clean test this one and just slather it on.

Verdict: Great in the bottle. Could be the first one I ever use as a room scent/oil burner. I will try again later after a shower and copious amounts of lotion.

UPDATE: OK, after trying it again and slathering it on...5 hours later I still want to lick myself! I am absolutely loving Egg Nog. Actually, all of the Yules I have tried so far (Egg Nog, Gingerbread Poppet, and Fruitcake..hey! it's sort of a Yule) have all smelled wonderful on me. I am really such a foodie. Now I need to try out the non-foodie Yules before they disappear from the Lab. This could end up being a pricey order I'm about to place!

Edited by favabean

Hmmmmmm Definitely Egg Nog! Well duh right? But seriously- I smell like I bathed in it!!! I like it, I really, really do, but I definitely find this to be a seasonal scent, and probably wouldn't wear much of it any other time of the year.

Um, yeah.....YUMMAH YUMMAH YUMMAH want it in my TUMMAH TUMMAH TUMMAH

Whoa, what just happened? I blacked out from scent-joy overload.... :P

This totally smells just like eggnog in the imp. It needs a bit of slathering, but on my skin it turns to just creamy yummy foodie goodness. It loses a bit of the completeness that makes it smell like eggnog at the beginning, but it still ends up smelling "wicked frickin good."

It does smell like vanilla cake batter, pensarepink!

This is on par with Beaver Moon '05 and Monsterbait: Closet, in my book. Delicious! I wish the throw was a little stronger, but other than that, it's great. Nom nom nom! :D

4.6 out of 5

In the bottle this is perfect eggnog. So yummy!! Once I put it on though, it turns a little plasticky. Not horribly so, but I can smell it. And it's keeping any of the notes from really being recognizeable. I can smell just a hint of the nutmeg and I can sort of smell the cream, but for now the plastic smell is taking over. I'm going to give it about 15 minutes and see what happens and then finish writing this....

Yup, still plastic. I'm so sad because I was REALLY looking forward to this scent. I guess I'll have to stick to Red Lantern as my "eggnog" scent. And this bottle will have to be a hair scent or something that I dab on my hands and then rub them together to then rub on whatever clothing I have on. I'm so sad! :P

Egg Nog 07

In the imp: Baileys! I kid you not. This smells like Irish cream. Yum.

Wet on skin: still boozy cream, but now I also smell a sugary soft vanilla, like that of Perilous Parlour.

Dry on skin: mmm, this is delicious! It doesn't have as much of the marshmallow scent of the original, and has a touch more booze to it, so it smells closer to eggnog than the 04 version. However this does have a gorgeous fluffy vanilla note which smells just like the vanilla in Snowblind, Perilous Parlour and the original Beaver Moon. In fact, it reminds me of Snowblind without mint and with added Irish cream. It's also a little bit like Midway. But what I like best about this is that it is stronger than the original Egg Nog, which smelt a little bit faint on me.

After a while: now I smell marshmallows! Yum, creamy vanilla and marshmallow goodness-it's all the marshmallow goodness I hoped to get in the Poof. The booze has receded a lot now. this smells creamy and delicious and I want to bite my wrist.

Verdict: oh yes, this is like the original, but improved in terms of booziness, creaminess, strength and duration. This smells like creamy brandy and rum and Baileys at the beginning, sprinkled with nutmeg. The cream here doesn’t turn sour at all-it smells like cream should. And the sweetness isn’t cloying. The drydown is the most wonderful creamy marshmallow and vanilla scent, almost like a winter version of Midway, and it was this vanilla marshmallow scent that I loved so much from the original, but it was too faint and faded fast-but in here it is stronger and lasts longer. I love this and I’m glad I have a bottle of this yummy scent.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? Yes!

If you like this, try: Midway, Beaver Moon, Perilous Parlour, Grog

Eggnog 2007

in the bottle: i'm mostly getting the boozy aspects, with the sweet nog part playing second fiddle

wet on skin: oh YEAH! this is SO eggnog! :D

dry down: the spicy-creaminess comes out, the egg part fades off a bit

in all: this winds up smelling like a foody version of an ylang lily on me. like, the actual flower, when you smell it in the florist shop and it has this gorgeous soft spicy smell and the sweet is sugar-flower.

this is SO GOOD

:P

Egg Nog 2007

I've never actually tried real egg nog having been raised with the whole "raw eggs will give you samonella OMGWTFWWBD?!". We'll ignore the disasterous attempt I've had making it with cooked eggs which I suspect gave le boyf food poisoning. :P

In the bottle, there's real creaminess with a little bit of rum hiding underneath - very reminiscent of a glass of Baileys, but without the chill normally associated. This is a warm creamy drink alright. Despite its creaminess, it doesn't smell like a particularly heavy scent: it's not going to choke you with rum and cream, but it's not going to vanish straight away either.

Several hours after applying - and showering - I'm still smelling it on my wrist, like lush vanilla ice cream.

Highly recommended :D

IN THE IMP: Oh, VERY thick, sweet, and creamy. And a strong booze note that makes me feel slightly lightheaded. Yummyyy.

WET: Fading, and FAST. Still creamy, but not as thick and heavy as before, and the booze is lighter, too.

DRY: Huh, nearly gone. A light, sweet cream with nutmeg. I guess I'll have to slather or reapply a lot to make this one last.

Mmmmmm. I wasn't around for the first Egg Nog, but I love the drink, so I was insanely excited to have the new version come out. It's a lovely sweet, rich, gently spiced scent with just a touch of alcohol. It definitely soothes my craving for egg nog when I want the drink but can't have any. It's very strong at first but quickly fades. I have to reapply it often to keep the scent.

Expectations: Creamy booze. Must avoid licking arm.

In vial: Like egg nog. No nutmeg though. For some reason it also reminds me of a Lip Smackers lip gloss I had once, with a little sponge brush applicator.

On skin, wet: A very heavy sprinkling of nutmeg on top of the egg nog.

On skin, dry: The egg nog is a bit overwhelmed by the nutmeg.

After time: Clearly this is non-alcoholic egg nog. It's faint, and I think I'm getting that mysterious "plastic" smell that people sometimes describe.

Conclusion: Not as amazing as I expected. I'll give it another try at a later date.

2007 version

In the bottle – Whoa that’s sweet! You can almost taste the cream, sugar and nutmeg with that boozy undercurrent

Wet on me – I can’t tell you just how good this stuff is. The warmth from my skin just disperses that lovely frothy sweet scent into the air around me

Dry on me – Ooh, I like it, I like it a lot, for a few moments I thought it was going to turn ashy on me the way a lot of ‘cream’ type blends seem to, but no, it stays a sweet creamy blend that gets richer and seems to edge towards fudginess as it goes and some 16 hours after application it’s still going strong

Overall – What more can I say, this looks destined to become one of my top ten

Initial impression:

Boozy – and exactly like egg nog! :D

First on:

The rum is quickly trying to mutate on my skin into the sickening smell it always does on me. :P Please behave, rum!

Dry:

Dried, it's gone from icky boozy to the peculiar smell of wet socks on me. :D

Finally:

I wanted to love this one. Doh! Swapping/selling.

Oh, this smells sweet, boozy, eggy, creamy and slightly spiced. Just delicious. It’s a faint scent though. I put it on 20 minutes ago and I can barely smell it. I don’t remember the original being as quick to vanish but this smells just as good, and I may like it better if only it stuck around a bit longer.

I am so sad

Wet, in the imp, this is beautiful! The brandy and rum are dark and rich; the cream is sweet and heavy, the spices are well blended. I am instantly whisked away to Christmas...

On my skin, it turned rancid within three minutes and never got better. Old alcohol mostly, with a touch of rotten condensed milk. and cream never does that to me!

Odd. I thought I had posted a review of the 2004 version already, but I don't see it. Here it is:

I had high hopes for this, but it smells very plastic-y on me. :P BPAL's "cream" note is notoriously bad on me, but I had hoped that maybe it would work in this one. No such luck. I think I'd probably like if it weren't for the plastic scent. Oh well. I have a bottle of Arcana's Egg Nog layering note, and that one does work on me. So I'm not overly sad about BPAL's not working.

And here's my review of the 2007 version:

As with most of BPAL's "cream" notes, this one smells rather artificial on me. I like the spice in it, but the plastic undertone doesn't smell very good. There are other foodie BPAL perfumes I can wear, but usually something with cream tends to smell not so great on me. This version is better than the 04 version, though -- that one had a much more distinct plasticy tone on my skin. I think the nutmeg is stronger in this version. Also the brandy and rum notes aren't too strong at all. It would be great if I had more cooperative skin chemistry.

In short: The 2007 version was better on me than the 2004 version, but I still have some trouble with it.

In the bottle and immediately after applying, this smells unbelievably like egg nog. And a very boozy egg nog, at that! Shortly after drying, it changes into a sweet yummy creamy foodie blend that smells like some kind of vanilla baked good. I still get the spiciness of the nutmeg underneath it which keeps it from becoming overly sweet and gives it some depth. I just can't believe how much like egg nog this smells.

Strangely enough, this smells EXACTLY like oatmeal cookie dough to me!

I'm not sure how often I'll wear it, but I'll definitely be hanging on to it for awhile. Definitely a great foody blend. Its making me hungry...

Wearlength is short, but quite memorable :P Worth the slather.

I couldn't wear 04 because it was just way too boozy and too boozy = bad with me.

But this is heavenly. Sooooo smooth and creamy with the perfect hint of spice (who am I kidding? I'd LOVE more nutmeg in there). If it's boozy, it's really hidden. As it dries down, the spices linger and the creaminess morphs into vanilla. Still gorgeous. There is indeed a faint plasticy-ness but it's faint enough and the cream/spice lovely enough that I absolutely ignore it!

Well I finally got a bottle in a swap.

Not sure what to make of it. Love it in the bottle. Smells exactly like Egg Nog. When I first got it I quickly rubbed a bit on my wrist and I got this boozy egg nog smell. Then I reapplied it after a shower and my skin just ate it up. It smelled like pencil shavings. Not booze, no sweetness, not even play dough. I tried it again this morning and again "poof" it's gone. The same pencil shaving smell with a hint of vanilla that got stronger thru the day. It's just so faint and nothing like it smells in the bottle. I read almost every review and seem to be the only one with this reaction. Chemistry I guess. I am hoping that it reacts differently in time. If not, I can wear it but it seems like such a waste. Perhaps it will work on my daughter. Such a disappointment.

Expectations are pretty straightforward on this one. I like egg nog so I am looking forward to this.

In Vial: creamy, buttery

Wet: Now it is getting better. Still very buttery, I smell the brandy and nutmeg, all within a backdrop of creaminess. This is good but I wish it had a little more nutmeg. This is beginning to smell fake and plasticky on me.

Dry: This has faded and smells kind of like a waxy vanilla candle on me. It smelled so much better on my mom. Must be my chemistry. I'll be passing this along to her.

This is for the 2007 version.

In the bottle: Rum! Sugar! Egg nog smells like egg nog :P

Wet on skin: Umm, not sure about this. The heavy cream is...heavy.

Dry on skin: It's milder now. It's sweet, vanilla-ish, and the rum is still present. I don't detect any nutmeg, but maybe that's just me.

Final thoughts: I'm happy I got my hands on a bottle! It's a delicious fragrance, not for everyday wear, but fall is coming rapidly and the weather is cooling down...I think I'll be using it quite a bit soon enough!