Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Nightmare

Recs for my next order- sweet and spiced?

Hello! I'm thinking of putting in another BPAL order and would love some recs because I'm feeling super indecisive right now. :,v Anything available currently is on the table, including weenies. I'm especially interested in scents that are both sweet and spicy, and I prefer varied, multilayered scents to ones that hit a single note really hard.

My absolute favorite scents are Incubus and Theodosius and would love more like them, but I don't mind whether a scent is more feminine, masculine, or androgynous. All are welcome. Beloved scents are caramel, honey, tea, cinnamon, ginger, bergamot, gardenia, white clover, musks... but I'm really open to a lot of things! Florals, woods, fruits, bring them on, just as long as it's got that balance of sweet and spice.

However, I do not like scents that are heavy on leather, smoke, metal, patchouli, or that earthy forest floor type smell (so I checked out this thread but wasn't sure what to make of it :P). It's alright for these notes to be in the scent, mind you, I just don't want anything dominated by them. I'm actually in love with The Highwayman (the smoke dissipates on my skin quite quickly, so it just leaves spicy gardenia goodness :biggrin:).

I have a bunch of imps here too, so let me go through the ones that sound like they could be what I'm looking for and see...

- Chimera is okay but kind of too sickly sweet and too cinnamon-y, it kind of just smells Red Hots to me :P
- Lust I don't really like, probably too patchouli-centric

- Spellbound is okay but not a fave... maybe I'm not so into red musk?

- RPG Series Good is wonderful, possibly full purchase-worthy! was something I liked wet and on first application, but after a little more testing, I didn't really like it, lol... it changed on me fast
- The Apothecary is nice, definitely very green and sorta understated on me, but this is a good direction
- Anathema is nice but lacking something, maybe
- Kitsune-Tsuki is beautiful and probably worth a purchase sometime, but lacks spice ofc- still, absolutely a scent I love, delicious florals and musk
- White Rabbit I actually have a bottle of and like, but it wasn't the spiced tea scent I expected at all, it mostly just smells sweet to me

Alrighty, hopefully that's not too much text... looking forward to any recs!

Edited by Nightmare

Hmmm.... GC's I'd recommend. Defutata - b/c you like cinnamon, musk, honey, and white florals (gardenia) and it's just lovely. Plunder is ALL THE SPICES. Bit too much for me, but if you are spice serious....Bengal is another ALL THE SPICES smell. Seraglio is a very pretty. With the nutmeg, clove, and orange, it smells a bit like one of those lovely pomanders made with real oranges, but the florals in it take it out of the craft section and make it a beautiful perfume.

Café Mille et une Nuits is a really lovey spice scent that does not include cinnamon, which is nice is your skin is sensitive. The tobacco note isn't strong on me. Priala, The Human Phoenix is supposed to be very nice if you like cinnamon.
If you love gardenia, The Eternal Queen is worth checking out. Very pretty, creamy gardenia. It's strait up floral, but it's a good one and won't be around too much longer.
Also, check out some of the Dead Leaves from the Halloween blends if you get the chance. It's a note you might like since I'd put it somewhere between spicy and green (clover). There are still decant circles that have slots open, and there will probably be some floating around in the "swaps" section pretty quickly.

Good hunting, and welcome to the forum!
P.S. When the Yules come out, you might keep an eye out for Now Winter Nights Enlarge. It's just beautiful, warm, and golden smelling. A tad foody, but not so much that you feel like you're a piece of cake. :P
Edited by VetchVesper

Have you tried Morocco?

"The intoxicating perfume of exotic incenses wafting on warm desert breezes. Arabian spices wind through a blend of warm musk, carnation, red sandalwood and cassia."

Eclipse is also a nice spicy scent, that doesn't overpower in the GC:

All the glory, warmth and majesty of the sun -- darkened. A delicious blend of bitter almond, vanilla, frankincense and heliotrope, with a drop of cinnamon.

Edited by aniemel

Bastet - amber, Egyptian musk, saffron, myrrh, almond, cardamom, golden lotus

Luke 10:25-37 - golden amber, saffron, white sandalwood, clove (LOVE. It's my favourite from this list (& maybe all my scents). The golden amber & white sandalwood create this lovely warm sweet base for the spice of mostly saffron on me & clove. I don't know if I just lucked out with skin chemistry but it's stunning on me).

Jack - warm jack’o’lanterns, nutmeg, glowing peach, murky clove

Spiced Rum Buttercream Coffee - coffee, rum, allspice, nutmeg, clove, star anise, cardamom, cinnamon, buttercream (after about a week this scent settled into this beautiful blend where it's hard to pick out any one note but its smooth creamy slightly spicy sweetness. Mmm. I don't drink coffee but I'm very happy smelling it.

Dragon's Milk - dragon’s blood resin, honeyed vanilla. Dragon's Milk was my introduction to dragons blood resin, & on me it's the unique spicy scent that really is indescribable. With the honeyed vanilla it's this amazing sweet spicy blend on me.

Definitely Bengal and Morocco! Maybe give Hell's Belle and Othello a shot too, for more floral interpretations of the spice thing. I also adore Dragon's Milk.

Spicy and sweet are my thing. Most of what I’ve tried was pretty subtle. Bengal was even more subtle than I was hoping for but amazing anyways. Truth Will Prevail from the Fatherhood line is also really nice but pretty subtle. The one that so far has really satisfied my urge for super spicy and sweet is Port-Au-Prince. Some people think it is a bit masculine but on me it is delightful dark spice with a bit of sweetness.

If you don't mind foodie scents, I suggest:

Shub-Niggurath - The lust incense of a corrupted Astarte. A blend of ritual herbs and dark resins, shot through with three gingers and aphrodisiacal spices.

To me, this smells like incense and ginger cookies.

Halfling - Porridge, kukui nuts, and pastry crumbs.

It smells nutty and sweet - and on my skin it is a little spicy.

Gonna second The Eternal Queen, Morocco, Shub, and Luke bc those are all absolutely gorgeous and complex.

I'm going to also suggest Queen Alice- lighter on the spice than some of the others but a layered ruby fruit and apple cider with a bit of spice. Worth looking at.

Thank you for all the recs! I will absolutely check out The Eternal Queen, I hadn't spotted it before and it sounds wonderful. There was a point I looked through every gardenia scent available and wound up going from imps to full bottles of Highwayman and Lady of Shalott, but it was a while back and I hunger for more. :P

Will keep an eye out for Now Winter Nights Enlarge! I know what you mean about wearing a cake, I have an imp of Eat Me and although I like the scent, I rarely ever wear it because it really does feel like I'm just smearing cake on myself. :P

I'll probably get imps of Eclipse and Dragon's Milk! Maybe of Jack and Bastet too. Not sure if Spiced Rum Buttercream Coffee will be a purchase this time around or not, but I'm definitely interested both in the scent and the cause.

I am considering buying a bottle of Port-Au-Prince and Shub-Niggurath flat out, lol, they sound very promising. Queen Alice also sounds lovely, thanks for letting me know about the fruit and apple scents! On that note, I am definitely eyeing some of those apple weenies...

Edited by Nightmare

Sadly, some of the stuff I’d like to recommend, like Smut and Pumpkin Sugar, aren’t available for the time being.

I definitely second Spiced Rum Buttercream Coffee because it smells DELICIOUS as well as The Eternal Queen since that’s very floral.

I’d say my most confident rec that I haven’t seen is Lady Una (honey musk, green tea leaf, blackberry leaf, vanilla bean, and fae spices). I wouldn’t say the spices are all that strong, but the honey musk certainly is. I have a suspicion that I tend to amp honey notes, though.

It’s not super spiced, but I’m trying out Xanthe the Weeping Clown from the Carnaval Diabolique line and it’s pretty sweet (plenty of guava and spun sugar in particular, though it also has white pepper and apple blossom in it).

Also, I’m glad you like Kitsune-Tsuki! That’s one of the few full-sized GCs I have at the moment.

Thanks!

Ahh, Pepper, Faiza, and Lady Una all sound good too. If only I could afford everything, lol.

I wound up waiting to do my order and am glad I did though because I'm definitely getting Pallid Bat. In addition to it sounding wonderful, I also love bats. :v I also gave Apothecary a few days of wear, and I think I gotta get a full size.

Edit: But, oh, darn, I missed The Eternal Queen. Equivalent exchange, I suppose. :P

Edited by Nightmare

Sign in to follow this