Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Albert Bierstadt

Ponderosa pine, mountain big sagebrush, black locust, pinon pine, white fir, fragrant snakeroot, and Rocky Mountain sage.

Just from the bottle, I can already tell that this is exactly what I was hoping for!

I spent most of my life in Montana and also lived in Colorado for a few years, and now that I live in the desert, I really miss the smell of those evergreen forests. I have Elf HG, which I love, but it has more of a spring and summer vibe, and I’ve been wanting a darker forest hair gloss to wear with scents like Golden Priapus, Theoi Nomioi, and some Yules that I have with the pine-y snow note. So this was the scent I was most looking forward to from the Trading Post Weenie update (part one)... because it's a darker evergreen forest scent WITH GOATS ON THE LABEL.

This hair gloss did not disappoint. When I smell it, I am transported back to those wonderful forests. There’s a blast of pine at first, and it remains the main player throughout, but I do get the sage behind it, and after a while, some fir. I feel like the sage becomes more prominent after a few hours of wear. While some scents become light after a few hours after being applied to damp hair, this isn’t one of them, and I imagine that the scent would have even more longevity and strength when applied to dry hair, as that’s usually the case with most hair glosses.

I am thrilled that this is a thing. If you are wanting forest-scented tresses, don’t let this one pass you by! I absolutely adore this and am so glad that I leapt for a bottle. :wub2:

Rocky Mountain Goats HG is a piney delight. This is a dry, brushy, pine/fir scent with an herbal undernote of sage. To me, this smells like high summer scrub and trees, with the heat making the oils more volatile and fragrant. Lovely.

Agreed, this is a piney delight!

I've been wanting a nice, deep foresty HG to pair with Forest of the Empress and other woodsy things. This is it. 

I get pine most strongly, followed closely by fir and an herbal, dry, brushy sage. The other notes blend into a woodiness. I'm intrigued that black locust is listed; I don't know what it smells like, but was reading about the tree recently.

Overall, this is a blend of dry prairie running up into conifer-studded mountains. It reminds me of the Rocky-bordering landscape of my old home in Colorado, and the drive up into Wyoming.

For me, this is all pine and sage, with the sage just slightly stronger.  The two notes are an inspired pairing.  They complement each other so beautifully.  I love the piney-mess of this.  I have no other hair glosses like it.  And it is nice and strong at first.  Which is something I love personally, but it made me a little nervous about wearing it out in public. But I needn't have worried, because . . . 

Unfortunately, the fragrance is short-loved on me.  It begins to weaken almost immediately, and is gone in about half an hour.

I was especially interested in this because it reminded me of the mountaintop forests of Arizona, where I lived all my life until recently.  Arizona doesn't have mountain goats - instead there are Bighorn Sheep who live in the desert.  But I was thrilled to see a Ponderosa Pine note in a BPAL scent!  I was hoping the fragrance might include some strawberry and vanilla notes in the Ponderosa Pine accord, to remind me of sniffing the crevices in the barks of those trees.  (A traditional activity in Arizona Scout Camps.  Each Ponderosa tree supposedly has a different scent.)   It doesn't, but that was okay since it is such a lovely scent anyway.

It also feels right for wearing here, where I live now, in the deep cool shade of the huge evergreen trees of the Pacific Northwest Coastal Rainforest.  We don't actually have much pine here (it"s mostly Sitka spruce and red cedar, with some hemlock and alder,) But the foresty scent is similar,  and the pine-forest mood fits right in and feels like home.  And we do have mountain goats here, although they are not native to the area and are being relocated to the Cascade range on the other side of Puget Sound, where they are native.

Predominant Notes: Pine and sage

Character:. Pine forest, unisex, cool

4 out of 6 stars: I would give it 5 stars if the scent lasted longer.

(My rating is for the scent only.  But I love the hair gloss, too, especially for combing out the tangles that my hair is prone to.)

Edited by Ghost of a Rose

beautiful, natural pine and sage. as other reviewers have noted, the scent fades extremely quickly.  99% of other bpals that behave this way on me have grown bigger and stronger with a bit of aging, so I'm hopeful that this will too.  thus no regrets that I snagged a full bottle of this.  evergreen scents are my jam and this is a stunning blend, even if only for under an hour.

Absolutely LOVE all the scents in here....sage, pine, fir.  It would be my ideal hair gloss except it does not last very long. (Hopefully this is not a metaphor for the Rocky Mountain Goat which I believe is a threatened species.)

I looove this scent.  It smells like walking through an evergreen forest in late fall, early winter.  It’s dark, atmospheric, foresty, and beautiful.

Strong at first, like a bundle of cut sage &evergreen branches in your face. The dry-down a gentle but persistent green/resin. I'm glad I got a decant, but I probably won't wear this often.

I really really wanted Rocky mountain goats to work for me. Unfortunately, it is all sage. It is like spraying sage essential oil all over my hair. Upon late drydown there is a clean note that peaks through the initial blast of sage, but nothing else. I was really looking forward to smelling of the woods. Alas! It will find a good home elsewhere.