Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Akurarei

Bonfire Toffee

Our spin on a traditional Guy Fawkes Night treat: treacle toffee soaked in rich, dark bourbon.

I wasn't sure what 'Treacle' was (or is, honestly). But this scent sounded interesting and different from other Halloweenies.

In the Bottle:
Dark boozy caramel

On my Skin, Wet:
A burst of what smells a little bit like burnt coffee with a touch of smoke. Carries some kind of a sweet note with it.

On my Skin, Dry:
Dark sweet molasses with a faint waft of smoke. It's not listed, but I detect a very small note of chocolate or cocoa. This scent reminds me of a childhood dessert that I can't place.

Verdict:
It IS different from other Halloweenies in my collection, and I love that it is a sweet but broody perfume. I may buy a backup bottle of this one.

Toffee and brûlée in the bottle. Goes on as a wet, molasses-like brûlée. There's more of a heavy spice mix (cinnamon, nutmeg, etc.) as it dries. Finishes as boozy, slightly dry brûlée notes. Excellent longevity. A lot like Sugar Skull, so if you don't have a bottle of that, absolutely grab this.

Edited by Soupy Twist

My first thought, when this hit my wrist, was that this was too much toffee and not enough bonfire.  It wasn't until I checked the notes today that I realized there wasn't actually supposed to be smoke in here.  I don't always love foodies, and this was too treacly for me at first.  But it grew on me, and I imagined that a hint of smokiness eventually rode along with the boozy dark caramel.  It had great wear length on me, and the late drydown is beautiful and mellow.  The decant is a keeper, and if I foodies were more of what I wear, I would definitely buy a bottle.  

Really delicious buttery toffee. The caramel has a lot of depth, not too sweet at all. I get just a touch of spice. 

I'm not sure why I got an imp of this, as caramel and bourbon are death notes for me.  By themselves, this would not have been good for me, but with the added smoke, I'm rather enjoying it.  Not enough to upgrade, but it's OK.

Very rich toffee, almost butterscotch like. Then there's the bourbon note which gives it some depth and keeps the toffee from being too heavy. Boozy, sweet, a hint of something woodsy.

Overall a nice gourmand that feels a bit 'dark'. 

I LOVE THIS. It's rich caramel/toffee with a hint of spice (?) and calms down to a smoky scent. I hope BPAL makes this again someday because I would buy several bottles! 

Definitely sweet dark bourbon in the decant.  Wet it goes SUPER sweet toffee which is exactly what I was hoping for.  Dry I get the same sweet toffee with a bit of nuttiness and spice.  Without the spice this would be an immediate top five for me.  With the spice it’s still really nice but I’m not sure yet if I will try to hunt down a bottle.  

ETA: ok an hour later the spice is all but gone, and this is glorious, deep rich nutty toffee 🤤 

Edited by JakkieTreehorn

2023 version:

I thought I hated toffee. I was wrong. This is one of the most delicious things I have ever smelled, my eyes literally roll into the back of my head when I sniff my arm. Rich, smoked toffee with a splash of bourbon. I'm not really getting a spiciness like the previous version was noted to have. Maybe the Guy Fawkes Night inspiration is influencing me into thinking this smells more like a British toffee, but it does. Not too sweet, not boozy, just perfect. A haunted carnival confection.

I already bought one bottle, and I may nab another before the Weenies come down. I am IN LOVE.