Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
VioletChaos

All Hallows Chaos: Pumpkin Spice

Variety is the very spice of life, That gives it all its flavor.
― William Cowper, 1785

Forget about the War on Christmas the years most contentious seasonal battle is actually waged over this inescapable melange of palate-massaging flavors. Weve got the formula down pat, and invite you to join us in a mad-science experiment: Just how far can we bend it before it breaks?

I picked up two of these mysterious creatures as it's been a looooooong time since I've had some chaos scents in my life. Here's hoping at least one is amazing on me!

First up, bottle #26:
oh. my. g-ddess. Banana pumpkin spice. Not, like, banana *bread*. No. This is like, a fresh banana smoothie, right from the blender, with some pumpkin spice mix dusted into it for flavor. Never knew this was a thing missing from my life and now I find myself ecstatic to be the sole individual in the world to have this in my hot little hands!!! This is going to be a really really tough act to follow!

Here goes #31:
Pumpkin spice and...cologne? In the bottle and wet on skin, I'm mostly getting a sharp fougeré, like a bracing 1940s lavender-based men's aftershave, and a pice of pumpkin spice bread dunked into it. It's bizarre.
As it dries, the cologne chills out and it becomes...Dorian and spice cake :eek:

I can't tell yet if I like it enough to keep it, but testing chaos theory scents is *always* an adventure!!! :thumbsup:

I got very, very lucky here, I think.

Bottle #48: Pumpkin spice cake with ginger syrup and a bourbon vanilla glaze. I could eat my arm. It's primarily the ginger with a warm 'baked' note and the other spices, then grounding it, a rich, creamy vanilla drizzle that's the base note of the scent and lingers.

Delicious. :wub2:

I've got bottle #22. It's very bright fruit at the beginning. I heard a few people say they smelled apples, another saying they smelled a typical asian fruit like durian or passionfruit. I think I agree with the latter. The tangy fruit starts to pull lightly floral, maybe honeysuckle? Maybe sunflowers or marigolds? It's a yellow floral. And honey. This is not working for me, either.

Pumpkin Spice plus some some soft amber and musk. This dries down to a musky sort of blend with spices. Medium throw and wear length.

Decant of #57, from TrailerTrashPrincess's decant circle.....I wonder what the others think of this?

Disclaimer: I've never tried ANY of the Lab's Pumpkin Spice scents, but I own and wear quite a few of the Pumpkin scents.

Wet on first application, I can smell a somewhat buttery pumpkin note plus something....herbal? Kind of funky. I'm thinking "hops" but I have no idea (I used to work in a health food store and I ordered all the bulk herbs, this stage distinctly reminds me of opening a big jar of dried hops).

Later after it dries, this smooths out a lot. I smell some pleasant spices, and something else. I can't tell if it's a light creamy floral, or possibly some kind of airy, delicate bread note? Am I smelling orange blossom? That would explain why it smells so weird at first, orange blossom has that effect to my nose. But now, it's light and smells nice. I think once you get past the initial "funky" stage, this is really light and pretty.

BPAL's All Hallows Chaos: Pumpkin Spice #1, as decanted by Ajevie. To my nose, I believe this is pumpkin spiced coffee. There's a deep, dry coffee note, and something that might be a smattering of dark cocoa? No milkiness, so not a PSL. It's vaguely reminiscent of Café Mille et une Nuits, except the spice mix is quite different and I don't get any shisha smoke.

I blind bottled my first ever Chaos Theory scents last year because I figured I can't go wrong with Pumpkin Spice or Samhain, and then apparently forgot to post my reviews.

Bottle #102 - this is now almost a year old, so the review is for the aged scent. It's been kept in a dark box in my bedroom, which is always quite cool in temp.

The pumpkin spice is front and center in the bottle. On my skin, it is very quickly followed by.... OMG this is the cream soda scent in my bottle of Kinda Sorta Snake Oil w/Cream Soda! The cream soda rises up and tempers the pumpkin spice notes very thoroughly. After 30 minutes the overall intensity has dried down and softened to a sweet creamy pumpkin spice. This is a huge win in my book. 

Bottle #138

This has a somewhat savory aspect to it, bit of lime, maybe some coriander and possibly some mugwort. 

Edited by alterosen
Details

All Hallows Chaos: Pumpkin Spice #5, received in a swap

Buttery pumpkin spice rolls in a pile of herbs and the herbs come out victorious? There's something dry and herbal here, although I undecided on whether or not it is sage.

Not for me, but it was nice to get to try it!

#207~

Pumpkin spices with something chocolate! 

I smelled a buttery note in the bottle, yet not so much on my skin. Could be the pumpkin note, as I notice it is buttery in some other blends. 

Chocolate doesn’t get the best reception at my house, so not sure if this is a keeper, yet. 

My bottle just arrived today, so I’m going to let it settle some and try again! 

Update: I’m getting vanilla, too, and I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a bit of booze, too. 
It’s not totally great on me, but chocolate and vanilla have to be with the right supporting notes to shine. I wish the PS was much stronger. 

Edited by artisjok

In the bottle: Something vaguely sweet and herbal. I want to say reminiscent of scents where I thought I'd identified a myrtle note, but I can't say for sure that's what it is. 

On my skin:

Wet, it's much darker and sharper -- not overtly offputting or unpleasant, just a stark contrast to the scent in the bottle. As it dries, however, it becomes... almost indolic. I'd tell you pumpkin spice oud and new leather is a possibility here. I have to say, I am not a fan. 

All Hallows Chaos: Pumpkin Spice (variant #27)
Wet: Pumpkin spice and... musk? There's some oud, I think, in here too, but the non-poopy kind.
Dry: Oh. Oh this is nice, a really pretty traditional-perfume sort of hit? Not very pumpkin-spicey but beautiful. Oud is so good when it's g(oud) not p(oud).