Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

In an assembly of phantasms such as I have painted, it may well be supposed that no ordinary appearance could have excited such sensation. In truth the masquerade license of the night was nearly unlimited; but the figure in question had out-Heroded Herod, and gone beyond the bounds of even the prince’s indefinite decorum. There are chords in the hearts of the most reckless which cannot be touched without emotion. Even with the utterly lost, to whom life and death are equally jests, there are matters of which no jest can be made. The whole company, indeed, seemed now deeply to feel that in the costume and bearing of the stranger neither wit nor propriety existed. The figure was tall and gaunt, and shrouded from head to foot in the habiliments of the grave. The mask which concealed the visage was made so nearly to resemble the countenance of a stiffened corpse that the closest scrutiny must have had difficulty in detecting the cheat. And yet all this might have been endured, if not approved, by the mad revellers around. But the mummer had gone so far as to assume the type of the Red Death. His vesture was dabbled in blood –and his broad brow, with all the features of the face, was besprinkled with the scarlet horror.

When the eyes of Prince Prospero fell upon this spectral image (which with a slow and solemn movement, as if more fully to sustain its role, stalked to and fro among the waltzers) he was seen to be convulsed, in the first moment with a strong shudder either of terror or distaste; but, in the next, his brow reddened with rage.

“Who dares?” he demanded hoarsely of the courtiers who stood near him — “who dares insult us with this blasphemous mockery? Seize him and unmask him — that we may know whom we have to hang at sunrise, from the battlements!”

Blasphemous mockery: blood musk and vetiver.

Smoke and bloody musk. This is dark, brooding and a little disturbing. Medium throw and wear length.

In vial: Smokey, ashy.

On me: Goes on as a cool smoke/embers/ashes, a thin vetiver, slightly stronger than the vial scent. But on the skin, this warms into the most lovely musk I've ever encountered, red and sweet and fuzzy-smooth, like peach skin; intimate and warm, just slightly discomforting for its blood note. If the vetiver is present, it's just to tone things down--this retains a hint of coolness. But throw is minimal and wear-length is only around three hours, even when slathered.

On cloth/hair: That same beautiful musk, but more animalic, more shallow, and less robust; a touch of vetiver. After a few hours, a dupe for Satyr's musk.

Verdict: I find myself conflicted. I love musk, and this is a remarkable musk, a skin/golden/red combo which I wouldn't quite call blood but do sincerely enjoy. But it's awfully one-note, and fleeting. I'm curious about layering it with a vetiver-heavy scent to bring back that missing note.

Edited by Juushika

preconceived notions: after Ezekiel sort of failing me, i was curious to try this one… simple blends are often major winners for me, & i do love me some blood musk! i also love vetiver (not sure i’ve met a vetiver i don’t like, in fact) so i have high hopes for this one :D

wet: YUSSSS its beautiful! simple & elegant & definitely my cherished Sanguineum Menstruum blood musk, & it’s got a really sophisticated perfume-y vetiver to play against… this is smooth & gorgeous & i am SUPER glad it’s still in stock ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ since i have multiple bottles of SM i can’t justify multiples of this too, but i am pretty sure i will get a bottle just to have a less-sweet alternative to SM (& so i can save that one for TTOTM since that’s when it really shines on me)

5mins: oh beth, even just two notes make me swoon, you are a true scent witch! this is SM w/out the honeycomb of the dying bees, & w/out the floral poppy, the vetiver adds depth & interest to the already intriguing blood musk & i’m sooooo all about this :D pretty sure if the lab ever released this blood musk as a SN i would just give them my bank account #s & take every drop they’ve got ❤️

10mins: i would roll in this if i could :D it’s perfect & i love it!!

drydown: ~90mins into wear this is a wonderful musk lurking close to my skin, & its just as delectable out of my FS bottle as it was out of my decant ❤️ 

Wonderful scent - I swear it reminds me of my grail scent, The High Priest Not to be Described. Its blended really well. Also, I think I need to add blood musk to my favorite notes.

If you're scared off by worrying about the vetiver in this - don't be - it's not that heavy bacon-type vetiver, not in the slightest.  In fact, I found The Scarlet Horror to be surprisingly beautiful and womanly.  It's a 'skin, but better' type scent which will age into something incredibly sought after in the years to come.  And although the throw is close to skin, I recognize a certain skin or golden musk (or possible a golden amber?) note that I've also smelled in some very popular bpal past releases, which is the note that is lasting the longest.  I applied it early in the morning, and I could still smell it the next day.  (Sadly that same popular note is a migraine trigger for me, so I have to let this beautiful baby go to someone else who can love it properly as it deserves.)