Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

But from a certain nameless awe with which the mad assumptions of the mummer had inspired the whole party, there were found none who put forth hand to seize him; so that, unimpeded, he passed within a yard of the prince’s person; and, while the vast assembly, as if with one impulse, shrank from the centres of the rooms to the walls, he made his way uninterruptedly, but with the same solemn and measured step which had distinguished him from the first, through the blue chamber to the purple — through the purple to the green — through the green to the orange — through this again to the white — and even thence to the violet, ere a decided movement had been made to arrest him.

Death unimpeded: bone-white sandalwood, dry cognac, and chilled ambergris accord.

Softly aquatic sandalwood with a whiff of cognac. This is an interesting aquatic sandalwood - sort of solitary, and sort of chilling. Medium throw and wear length.

This is beautiful. It takes a little while to come to life on the skin with the ambergris coming out first. Light, high, feminine version of sandalwood softened with smooth ambergris. I would never guess "cognac" on sniffing this but I can detect it in the background if I'm looking. Perfume-y, a bit haughty but with a "natural" tone from the sandalwood. Anyone looking for a scent that is feminine but not sweet and not as mainstream as Media or a white floral might be should try this. 

Edited by Myrrha

ambergris macerated in sandalwood oil is a classic, and I love this bpal version of it, with beth's awesome ambergris accord and her deft and delightful use of cognac.  it's soft and gentle and so so good. 

There's something about A Certain Nameless Awe, not the notes but the general feeling, that reminds me of the GC Dance of Death.  A dryness and paleness, an untouchable quality, elegiac.  White sandalwood and ambergris are the main notes on my skin.  I find it falls to the feminine side of the unisex spectrum.  Throw is minimal (this is normal for me) and wear length is good so far.  Hauntingly beautiful.  

A Certain Nameless Awe smells like a very dry sandalwood and ambergris in the decant, with a bit of sharp cognac.

On my skin, I immediately get the dry white sandalwood and ambergris. The cognac pops up a few minutes later, but it is short-lived. The scent ends up smelling like I fell into a vat of powder for a long time, but it's like a perfume-y powder, and not baby powder. After a few hours, it breaks out of its powdery phase, and the beautiful ambergris note reigns, backed by the soft, dry, dusty white sandalwood note. And there is a chilly quality to the ambergris, which I think is really lovely. I appreciate this phase of the scent, but I am not sure if I want to go through a few hours of perfume-y powder to get to it. I'm really glad I was able to try it, though! :)

Edited by doomsday_disco

I am woefully behind on testing/reviewing/sorting out my BPALS - woefully!

I have been on an extremely low-buy for months, but could not resist the combo of sandalwood and ambergris.

Wet: This goes on like straight up white bar soap. There is something so clean and classic about it. Very pleasant and nostalgic, but not at all what I was anticipating. Quite wearable though, and will be great for work because it's so light and clean and unobtrusive.

Dry:  Much the same. Slightly powdery, classic perfume. Clean, but no longer soapy. It reminds me of Closet Raid, only much softer. It reminds me of my grandma in a wonderful way. I will wear it to work and be comforted when I catch a whiff.

A potent dry and pale sandalwood warmed with ambergris and made a bit antique with a little cognac. 

Ambergris can go salty on me, but this one doesn't. 

The mood of this is sophisticated and mature, but unfortunately it goes powdery on my skin in drydown.

Very dry, and salty. But also smells like fog. A very grey, vague scent. Smells like rain hitting hot pavement.