Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Lorenz Frølich

Caramelized patchouli, cream, and thick golden honey.

This reminds me of the smoky bonfire/earth scent that's in Samhain drizzled with cream and honey, only more smoke and earth and less sugary sweetness. This feels like it's going to be a much-coveted instant classic. It's cozy and witchy and the honey and cream are very prominent, but not cloyingly so. I might have to buy a backup bottle or two!

It's like Feed Me and Fill Me with pleasure with cream. Eye roll inducing and is going to age amazingly. I can't even with this.

In the Bottle:

Patchouli and sweet cream

On the Skin:

That caramelised patchouli is really interesting with a slight charred edge. The cream is less evident but the honey more so.

On the Drydown:

The honey and patchouli play tag on this one, with each taking turns to amp up. The honey is less clear and sweet and more dark and golden. The cream mellows it all out but is pretty subtle. There is slight spiciness to this on the extreme drydown. I like it but it needs time

Omg THIS is exactly why I started buying Bpal a few months ago. This and Samhain were the scents I was after! I really need a backup of this. In the bottle and on me wet and dry is all the same....the best patchouli ever with fresh honey. Sooooo awesome!

Smoky, creamy, honey patchouli.  This is mainly a honey-patchouli blend to me. I honestly thought I might enjoy this one. Surprise surprise! I am not. Good throw and wear length.

Wet: This has a lot of promise. I get mostly patchouli, some sweetness, and a dollop of cream in the background

Dry: THIS IS ACTUALLY WHAT I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR. It was originally Silky Bat that turned me onto BPAL, with Banshee Beat ending up my all-time fave. The patch in this blend is reminds me of both of these scents, but the caramelization and honey keep the earthiness in check and add even more sweetness...and in a way, almost a bit of nuttiness, like in toffee candy. The cream rounds it out and gives it softness and dimension. Overall it is well-blended, but I can still pick out the notes, and the patch remains in the forefront.

This also has a good amount of throw and lasts all day.
Honestly this is in my top 5 now and I had to order a BU bottle right away....

Zoe and her goat go on me as a creamy honey patchouli smoldering with smoke and caramel. It's gorgeous.

The smoke is short-lived on me; the caramel adds a more lasting subtle and sweet brown tone. 

But the patchouli has a dusty quality, and then -- surprise -- it turns to the dusty pale patchouli from It Sifts from Leaden Sieves in drydown. I didn't see that coming. On me at least, this smells like that dusty white patchouli that reminds me of a desert of bleached sands, and I'm liking it with this cream and darkened by caramel honey. 

Oh, I know what else this reminds me of: Dalliances by Candlelight (beeswax, white patchouli, and honey). I got a sort of caramel tone from that, too. 

Since I got one bottle of It Sifts and two of Dalliances, I'm in some spending peril here.

After drydown, though, that strong pale patchouli impression settles down and blends back into the rest. Then the whole becomes a mellow unity of creamy honey and light patch.

I really like this.

Zoe and the Goat is strong on the patch and honey, in the decant and on me. It's a smoky, caramelized, woody, red patch with a kick, the same kind that I believe is in To His Mistress Going to Bed (which was too much for me). The honey starts off really heady, and you can tell that it's a thick, golden variety, but it mellows out somewhat over time. I was hoping that this would be a creamy, sweet patchouli scent, but I don't get a ton of cream from this, just a little, and the honey isn't really keeping the patchouli in check.

This is not the sweet patchouli scent I was looking for, but fans of patchouli and honey blends should enjoy this.

Sadly, I don't get the smokiness everyone else is talking about.  Zoe and the Goat is beautiful, though.  It's mainly patchouli and honey with a creamy edge.  This is a much gentler patchouli than Tricksy.  A warm golden bearhug of a scent, with good staying power and throw.  

In vial: Smoky sweet patchouli.

On me: Liquid caramel, in the same vein as liquid smoke--a one-note but profoundly rich, burnt-sugar caramel scent; you wouldn't eat this--you'd put in a drop to flavor something else. Reminds me very much of a less floral Agrat-Bat-Mahlaht, which either means that I amp caramel or that I'm getting the cream/honey from Zoe and the Goat and just can't pinpoint it. A stable, non-morphing scent; decent throw and wear length.

Verdict: Not at all my thing; it's simultaneously too strong and too simple. But I layered it with Fearful Pleasure with great results, so I imagine I can use my imp precisely to add a drop of liquid caramel to other scents.

Wet: All patchouli, all the time.

Dry: Sweet patchouli. Hmmm. I like patchouli, but I feel like the scent is too simple? Not really for me.

In the bottle: Sweet, honeyed patchouli.

Wet on my skin: Patchouli sweetened with specifically rich, thick, almost sharply-sweet honey. After a minute or two, as it begins to dry, it smooths out a lot from the initial sweet-sharp bite.

Dry: GORGEOUS. This is probably my favourite of the Weenies I ordered this year. It reminds me a bit of the earthy honey at the base of Blood Kiss, without all the extra ingredients. It's just wonderful, and if you're someone whose skin likes patchouli like mine does, best get on this one. It's a sweetened, golden-honeyed patchouli, and while the cream isn't really there as an obvious note itself, I can tell that it's there smoothing out and softening the patch and honey. This might be one for a second bottle. 💞

I LOVE THIS SO MUCH. Definitely a backup bottle scent. 

When I first received it from the Lab, I was actually really unsure because it smelled like pure cigarette smoke to my nose. I let it sit for a week and upon re-sniff it had settled some and I could detect the patchouli. And then I tested it and OMG. It's incredible. It goes on with a sweet honey/tobacco/patchouli blast, and that combo is just heavenly on me. As it dries down, the honey and patchouli stay at the forefront in a really beautiful way. It also has solid lasting power. I just love it. It's one of those "I keep sniffing where I put it" scents because I love it so much.

I will say this to help give an impression of the scent as well: it reminds me a little of a non-allergy-causing, non-headache-inducing, way-more-elegant-version of the original Mugler Angel perfume. (I loved that stuff back in the day, but as with all commercial perfumes, I eventually over sensitize to them and they trigger allergies. Which is why I love BPAL...they do not!) 

As a bonus, much later in the day as Zoe and the Goat had faded I put a little SN French Tobacco over it. SO GOOD. 

This reminds me a bit of Visions of Autumn III from 2014.

The honey note is indeed thick and the caramelized patchouli runs alongside it. It also reminds me of Goblin with a bit of extra sweetness, but with less gnarly patchouli.

Agree that the patchouli in Zoe and the Goat is reminiscent of the patch in Silkybat. On me, this is like a honeyed, golden Silkybat, almost like if Silkybat was dipped in Golden Syrup. I can also see comparisons to Goblin and Tricksy...that so many reviews are comparing this blend to beloved other BPAL blends says something alone. Definitely for lovers of patchouli and honey, this is smooth and sweet and creamy.

Expectation: Do you know how much I love Patchouli? Like so much. So a honey caramel cream patchouli? .... It better be succulent and earthy perfection omg.

Initial Sniff: OH MY I just gave myself a cavity. This is puuuuuuredark rich syrup.

Wet Skin: Oh god. Syyyyrup. Sweet sweet cavities everywhere! Blood sugar has spiked.

Dry Skin: Heavenly Father, I believe. This is amazingtastic. The honey caramel takes a flippin chill pill (thankfully quickly - like under a few minutes) and then out blooms my dreams and fantasies. Warm sweet patchouli.  Engrossing beauty. This is MY scent. I shall hoard them all.

Verdict : This is the first scent I've tried that I think can ACTUALLY stand in for Banshee Beat for me. It's not the same - don't be mistaken. But it has the same warm-sweet earthy engrossing thing, but with MUCH more almost-sickly sweetness. Not the delicate warm glow of vanilla. On some days I could see this level of sweetness causing me nausea, depending how my skin plays with it. Dangerous game. But when it does behave? Oh. My. God.

This is between Goblin & Fates Jester on my hierarchy of favorite Patch scents. I'm going to get a bottle for sure. That honey just better stay behaved.

Edit to add: After reading other reviews after I posted mine - DEFINITELY a patchouli lovers scent. From the single notes I've tried, this is the black patchouli variant moreso than the red patchouli. Earthy and yum.

Edited by Aveya

Exactly as described. Pretty much the same as Feed Me And Fill Me With Pleasure, which I kind of predicted. No upgrade needed.

Notes are accurate but for my own reference this comes off as a gritty patchouli, leaning toward headshop on me. I prefer fruity bright patchouli blends. This would appeal to anyone who likes more dark patchouli scents. Definitely a good autumn scent, would be great for clubbing. 

zoe opens with a bang of very smoky, gritty patchouli.  it is a honeyed patch, but the honey is not giving it a ton of sweetness and it's not especially honey-forward. at this stage it is very reminiscent of feed me and fill me with pleasure, but they diverge in the drydown.  

i wasn't sure what "caramelized" patchouli would entail, but you could have called it "smoked patchouli" and i would have never batted an eye. i might have guessed this had a drop of vetiver, the kind that sometimes has a bitter smokiness to it. i'm detecting nothing i would pinpoint as a cream note, but i suspect it's doing some behind-the-scenes work, keeping that smokey element more rounded, less acrid than it threatens to be in the opening. 

it gentles a good bit as it dries.  the smokiness becomes soft, and loses that almost-acrid tone that was hovering around the edges. more incense smoke than campfire smoke now.  the honey fades into the background,  lending a little of its sweetness, but none of its character. the whole blend becomes much creamier and softer, but i still never pinpointed a discerible cream note. to me, it remains predominantly a smoked patchouli. 

all in all, not what i was expecting!  the notes suggested a sweet foodie-ish patch, and there was a whimsy to the artwork that reinforced that for me. but this blend feels darker and a touch somber.   i love patch in almost all its incarnations, so this definitely has a home in my collection.  

and while i like this very much, i'm not sure if it'll be in heavy rotation, as i'm usually looking for a bit more sweetness. 

Edited by MamaMoth

Sweet delicious patchouli with a good amount of honey dumped on top. Not a dirty patchouli at all. Low throw and staying power are a bummer, but the label is adorable 😊