Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
boomtownrat

Two Sheep and Two Goats Resting Together in a Field

A. Ducote

Sweet vetiver, bourbon vanilla, and wool.

This is the beautiful vanilla blend that I've been looking for all along, like a softer cousin to The Antikythera Mechanism and Tombstone. It's simple, like most of my favorites, and easy to wear. The sweet vetiver blends gorgeously with the bourbon vanilla and wool. It makes me think of a perfect autumn day somewhere in a cool climate, when the skies are a rich blue that contrasts with the orange leaves. I think it will be glorious and long-lasting in a scent locket too.

One of my two Weenie purchases from NYCC! Dominated by the sweet veviter, with hints of the vanilla and wool. I love all kinds of veviter, but the sweetness in this definitely makes it more wearable.

I got this one today and I absolutely love it! I was scared that the vetiver would be all over the place and extremely forward but that’s not the case. It’s soft. Reminds me a lot of Morocco right now and I’ve been looking for a scent that’s just as soft as that one and I found it. On me the vanilla portrays itself the most, followed by the wool and lastly a hint of sweet vetiver. I tend to amp vanilla and other sweet notes. The scent stayed quite close to the body and is easy to wear.

I have barely tested any of my decants, but this is almost a guaranteed bottle purchase. It reminds me a lot of Unicorn & Ram without the leather, and the sweetness of the cardamom is replaced by the vanilla here.

If you aren't a fan of vetiver but it isn't an instant death note, this is a good one to try - while it is pretty strong when freshly applied, it eventually fades into the background and doesn't dominate the scent. The vanilla peeks out after a while and the whole thing morphs into a much gentler scent.

Smoky vanilla wool. This smells like vanilla, smoke, and fur. Just as described. There's something autumn-esque about this - which I think is the combination of smoke and wool, with the vanilla sweetening this a great deal. Good throw and wear length.

I'm also getting lots of smoke from this. 

This smells like a heavy woolen cloak worn by someone who just stood by a campfire for a week. A vanilla campfire. 🔥🤗

Although I smell nothing aquatic or wet about this, I keep thinking it smells like a campfire in the mist. Maybe it's the mood this soft vetiver is leaving here.

I can see the Unicorn and Ram comparison for sure.

My friend had a completely different impression of this blend, one of strong dislike, and made many faces upon testing it. But for me, I'm considering a bottle upgrade. 

Smokey, earthy vetiver softened with vanilla that is not too sweet or creamy. It's soft but also kind of scratchy, due to the earthiness; with the warmth of the vetiver, it does have a woolen quality. I love it and am glad I sprang for a whole bottle unsniffed. Grounding, unisex, warm, and fall like. 

Sweet smoky vetiver, vanilla with a boozy edge, cuddly wool.  This is definitely in the queue for bottle purchase.  I totally agree with marared that people who are on the fence about vetiver should try this one, as it may make believers out of them.  It's smoky but not charred-charcoal vetiver, and while it dominates the opening, it mellows down pretty quickly and partners beautifully with the vanilla and wool.  Two Sheep and Two Goats is like a warm woolen wrap that a ruggedly attractive, bourbon-drinking guy was wearing by a roaring fire.  It's going to keep me warm this winter!

320px-Two_sheep_and_two_goats_resting_to

Edited by Lucchesa

When I first tried this, I thought it smelled good, but wasn't anything really special.  It kind of reminded me of Antique Lace and that was that.  Then I gave it a full day testing and found that I really love it!  It smells like a vaguely woody vanilla scent to me, I wouldn't call it smokey exactly, but I do get the slightly rugged earthy quality that others have mentioned.  This scent sticks with me all day, and has this way of teasing the air around me for hours.  I just love the extended dry-down of this scent.  As I get to know my Halloween decants, this and Studie Einer Ziege are my top 2 (so far), and I'm going to need bottles of both.

In the imp: When I couldn't resist taking a whiff right out of the mailbox, it was a big ol' punch of vetiver. It's still a very vetiver-dominant scent: rough and vegetal, and maybe just a touch rubbery/synthetic? It's a little sweeter and more musky than vetiver SN, but vetiver is mainly what I'm getting.

Wet: As George Takei would say: oohhhh, myyyyy. A non-foodie bourbon vanilla, but It's Complicated. The vanilla itself is gorgeous, but the vanilla roughens it up and smokes out the edges, while the wool wraps everything together wonderfully. It's a very unprocessed, natural-smelling wool at that, as though there's some lanolin in there. (Lanolin-sensitive people: don't worry! No lanolin listed, so I really think it's just the interplay between the three notes that makes me think of raw wool.) I can only hope it stays this wonderful for the duration!

Dry: A rich, heady, smoky-vanilla-and-then-some scent. I'm really getting the bourbon in "bourbon vanilla." I agree with the above commenters: if you're on the fence about vetiver, or it isn't an absolute death note for you, you might want to give this one a try - it's vetiver at its best, smoky and rugged and mysterious. As for me, I'm trying to decide whether it's *too* rich and heady. If not, this is a definite bottle purchase!

On me, this is the softest, sweetest vetiver ever, wrapped in vanilla wool.

If it was yarn, it would be a fat undyed merino single that had been stored in a box with 100 vanilla pods & a few vetiver leaves (stalks?) 

Edited to add: This is gorgeous, & SUPER long-lasting on my skin. The vetiver is smoky, as well as soft. The wool aspect is the most truly woolly of all the BPAL wool-themed blends I have tried. I'm really glad I bought a bottle.

2022 update: I wish I had bought multiple bottles. This is one of the very best vanilla blends I've experienced by any perfumer, ever. If it was resurrected, I'd buy multiple bottles. All hail Two Sheep & Two Goats!

Edited by Teamama
2022 update

My first review!

In the bottle, this is vanilla, pure and sweet and wonderful. But I have to admit, I was afraid that it might go to powder on my wonky body chemistry. Thankfully, the perfume gods have declared that worry null and void, because this is just lovely and soft. What I thought at first was musk is likely the vetiver—it's sort of smoky and keeps the vanilla from being overly cloying. 

All in all, this blend makes me think of being tucked in a wool blanket near the fireplace at my grandmother's on a cold night eating sugar cookies. There's something very comforting about this scent. Personal.

I keep smelling my wrist and smiling, so this is a definite win.

This is the blind bottle win of the season. Very first sniff on the skin, I am put off by what almost reminds me of yak butter. However, in just seconds, I feel like am surrounded by a herd sheep and goats who were rolling in vanilla beans. I have been surrounded by sheep and goats in Mongolia and do love that earthy smell. I wore this at least five times and have tried to pick out the smokiness people have mentioned. Yes, a bit. The vetiver is smooth. I love this. Mega cuddly. 

So I originally passed over this when choosing decants because vetiver and I are generally not friends, and I was sure Stekk was the only wooly vanilla sheep scent that I needed in my life. But then the glowing reviews kept coming in, and some of you mentioned how this might be a vetiver scent for those that are normally averse to the stuff, and my curiosity got the best of me. I was able to track down a partial.

When this arrived, I was very scared of this in the bottle, because the vetiver was so strong that it punched me in the face. But just a day of settling did wonders, and after two days of settling, it was much softer in the bottle, with the sweet vetiver being smoothed over by the vanilla. I've tried this twice since it arrived, and both times, it went on as a sweet, herbal, just slightly smoky, grassy vetiver (the same variety found in The Earth Mother) infused with bourbon vanilla wool. The vetiver never stops being the main player on me (maybe that will change with a full day of wear, but even after four hours, it is still going strong), but the bourbon vanilla and wool help to tame it.

This really is the vetiver scent for those who usually avoid that note. I'll be keeping my partial. :dance:

Edited by doomsday_disco

I blind bought this based on reviews and it does not disappoint.

This blend is how I imagine my favorite sweater to smell that’s been outside in the cold next to a smoky bonfire. It’s a sweet cozy vetiver scent, where the vetiver is a dry sharp smoky and not a woody bonfire smoke. I’m hit or miss on vetiver, but here with the wool and vanilla it’s both cozy and atmospheric.

Decent throw.

I’m glad I took a chance on a bottle. This one makes me happy.

Beautiful, an instant fave. Way more vanilla than i was expecting and such a mellow vetiver. It reminds me a lot more  of a more mellow Solstice Scents Manor than any Bpal I've tried. It doesnt strike me as similar to Unicorn and Ram or any of the others really  

This is nice—much more gentle than I expected. In the bottle and wet, I got the impression that this was Banshee Beat grown up: more stable and refined. On the drydown the vetiver almost disappears on me, and it is soft bourbon vanilla wool. It really does evoke wool. I wish the vetiver was a touch stronger, but it is still beautiful. Low-medium throw, long wear length. 

A simple, gorgeous smoky/sweet dark vanilla. It perfectly captures that wistful part of early fall when the air is crisp and smoky from burning wood and leaves, and you're holding a steaming mug of vanilla spiced chai looking out over the mountains. I instantly love this, and I do hope I come across a bottle someday. *swoon*

Edited by supreme_c0rt

Bottle sniff: burned breakfast.

skin test wet: 

The prettiest vanilla sitting in the middle of something burned. Not the bacon I usually get from Vetiver, but not far enough off to warrant owning a bottle. The wool is soft.... almost silky smooth and the vanilla really is pretty. But not digging the burnt smell. 

dry:

At dry down it does veer completely away from burnt things to something become a vanilla petrol scent. The petrol scent is interesting and I might seek it out in other blends. Now I am undecided, if light Vetiver always died down to this sort of petrol scent, I might be willing to push through what actually was a relatively short time dealing burnt/bacon smell. But, I don’t think it’s this blend. Glad I got to try it. 

This blend is such a beauty! I don’t have much to add to the previous descriptions, as far as the scent goes... what I do want to add, is this blend last and lasts on me, which is a rarity for my parched skin. The scent doesn’t really shift, either.

A cozy sweet gorgeous grassy vanilla experience for hours and hours... and hours! 
 :heart: