Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Pieter Boel

Sweet labdanum with clove, tobacco absolute, and guiac wood.

Y'all...this is so, so good. It smells strongly of the crumbly amber resin that you can find in the incense section of witchy stores, but spicier. If you love In Templum Dei, you will probably like this one as well. I tested it last night, and wore it to work today, and couldn't stop sniffing my wrists.

I have been longing for a clove-tobacco scent, so I jumped on this, and it's perfect! Deep, dark clove and tobacco, like pipe smoke or those yummy but oh-so-bad-for-you clove cigarettes. It's not at all sweet, just deeply spicy. Definitely unisex and perfectly autumnal. :yum:

Labdanum swirled around clovey tobacco. The labdanum is resinous and sweet. If you were looking for a sweet resinous clove tobacco blend, look no further. It's sort of smoky underneath. Medium throw, good wear length.

Studie einer Ziege features the same sweet, syrupy labdanum note found in Suffragium, only here, it's accompanied by some clove, a different resin, and a bit of smokiness in the background from the tobacco (that I have to get really close to my arm to smell, because the labdanum is so strong on me).

This is nice, but if I had to choose between this and Suffragium, I'd probably go with the latter because I like the airy quality that the palo santo lends to that scent (even though I am a big fan of clove... and the clove is definitely a main player here, but I was hoping for a stronger black clove and not a cinnamon-y one).

Suffragium was straight-up coca cola on me, and sure enough Studie einer Ziege shares that syrupy cola-like labdanum note, but Studie works much better on my skin.  The tobacco and woods take it out of pepsico territory, into something a little richer and smokier, and the clove adds just the right amount of spiciness for me.  I don't get much throw (which is normal for me) but it lasts a good while.  This is very cozy and comforting.  I like it!

I do smell the cola-ish labdanum, though this is not particularly a dark labdanum on me. I do get clove, but not as much as I anticipated.

The truly weird part is that this all meshes together to sort of smell like candlewax. Dusty old candlewax. And maybe white coconut meat?? It's odd.

Low throw.

Tested next to Suffragium, they're much alike, but that one's more wood, this is more light clove and a little smoke. Come to think of it, that smoke plus the oiliness of the labdanum may be why I get candle wax.