Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nepthys

Dead Leaves and Warm Sugar Cookies

Every leaf tells a story.

This starts out like the perfect autumn scent on me. It literally is dry leaf meets a fresh sugar cookie straight from the oven. Half an hour later, the dry leaf predominates and the sugar cookie recedes into a faint bakery smell. But still very nice. I think this is my favorite of the dead leaves line.

Brown sugar cookie and dead leaves. It dries up to a brown sugar note on me, but it's a pretty sweet Dead Leaf. Medium throw and wear length.

Oh, yes. This is my Dead Leaves scent! Fresh, it's like I'm baking sugar cookies on a windy, overcast fall day, screen door open. It's just perfect: homey, comforting, and fresh. The leaves keep this from being straight up foody, putting it squarely into the "eccentric gourmond" category, as I like to refer to the style of scent I prefer.

The Lab's sugar cookie note is near and dear to my heart; it's kind of cinnimoney (but dosn't irritate my sensitive skin), and the perfect balance of creamy, sweet, and dry; even as a single note, I find it to be a fine stand alone perfume with it's complexity and depth (Holding my breath for Yule...). The leaves combine with that bit of spice in the cookie, that gives the scent a muted but colorful lift, like all the variations in a pile of dead leaves: burgandy spice and red veins, deep brown, both of cooked sugar and cracked, dry, leaves, a bit of the biting green of a stem just let go & soft edges curling and releasing the last of their plyability. There's some dustiness and some chewy, warm sweetness coming through. Drying down, it reminds me a bit of The Other Miss Forcible, which I also adore, but Dead Leaves and Warm Sugar Cookie is less thick and menacing-more playful but still mature.

It has medium sillage and wearlength on me. People close to me can smell it, but I want to reaply often. When the kids came in they said, "I know that smell! It's so good! What is it?". It smells like happy fall memories...

Thank you, Beth.

In vial: Dead leaves with a gentle sugary vanilla.

On me: Goes on as lovely sugar cookies, a pale, sweet vanilla with a warm bakery scent, not at all sicky or sticky. The dead leaves come out more in drydown, a gently outdoorsy, brown scent, not as vegetal as in some of the other Dead Leaves blends, but pleasantly non-foodie and tempering the sugar cookie. It's a beautiful and stable blend, very much "Dana O'Shee (milk, honey and sweet grains, but it's always smelled like almond snowball cookies to me) goes outside in autumn."

Verdict: Pretty, comforting, lingers on clothes as an earthy sweetness, palatable but unique--I'm seriously considering a bottle buy, and this is one of the better Dead Leaves I've tried. It's gently seasonal, but I can see myself wearing it throughout the year.

I WISH I got anything like the other reviewers. This is the scent I was most excited about by far for the Weenies update and it has been a huge disappointment. Where are my visions of leaf piles and ghost pillsbury cookies?? This is so acrid smelling in the decant and on my skin. Nothing like sugar cookies, and nothing like the other Leaves I’ve tried this year. :( i’ll consider giving this a few months but all instinct tells me I’m ready to pass it on. 

In the bottle, it has that slightly damp, slightly decaying leaf pile with a lovely vanilla, sweet smell layered over it.  It smells like kicking piles of leaves outside, and smelling a fresh batch of sugar cookies coming out of the oven.

First time I applied, I way overdid, and it was kind of headache inducing.  Very sweet with a heavy mouldering smell.

I retried with a much lighter touch, and now it is beautiful both in the bottle and to wear.  On me, it is too strong to wear to scent-adverse locations, but for snuggling up at home - it's wonderful.

Wet: Oh man, I am not digging this; dead leaves and rotten sugar cookies? Something is not working.

Dry: MUCH better than the wet stage. Dead leaves, sweetened by sugar cookies. It's more of just an overall "sweet" scent rather than actually smelling sugar cookies, IMO.

I like it, but will be okay with just a decant.

Picture this: 

Walking out the front door, you look around at the cold landscape. The wind blows, ruffling your hair. Leaves shifting and re-settling all around you, lightly touched by frost... wait.. Something is off. Too warm for frost today. You pick up a leaf, bringing it close to your face to examine. Is that... sugar?? Yes. Not frost. The leaves are all lightly sugared on the edges! Confused, you look around and notice there are small balls of white mixed in with the leaves. Crouching down and investigating, you find these balls are cookie dough.... Huh? 

What dimension is this?! 

That’s how I feel wearing DL & Warm Sugar Cookies. The cookie scent seems more like the pre-cooked dough to me, which takes this scent from a yes, definitely, to a hmmm, I can probably pass this on... Gonna spend a little while longer huffing my arm and deciding. I feel there’s just too many other smells I want to sniff to warrant keeping a whole bottle. 

This is a huge 'No'.  The classic leaf note with nauseating fake sugary caramel, the kind I would definitely NOT eat.  Glad I didn't blind bottle, the two do not mesh well at all together, and the FAKE.

Very dead leaf heavy. Bitter, vegetal, a bit cologney.

The sugar cookies do sweeten up the blend considerably though. Warm, bready, with a toasty sugar smell.

You do have to like the Dead Leaves scent to like this one though... which I do not. It's just too much.