Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
abejita

Pomegranate Grove: Snake Oil

[No additional description provided.]

This is very straightforward. The pomegranate note verges on candy-like, but stops just short of it. I had been wanting Snake Oil with a dark fruit note. This starts out bright and tart, the pomegranate dominating. It settles to darker, still tart, and more balanced with the Snake Oil. It's exactly what I was looking for.

Very fruity in the bottle, but the minute it hit my skin it turned to ... marijauna? The fruit note disappeared and I got this grassy spice scent. Eventually as the drydown happened, the pomegranate note came back, lightly, balanced with the snake oil spice. I'm going to let this one age a bit and see if that improves things. Otherwise, it'll have to be worn in a scent locket.

Snake Oil by itself is just a hair to sweet for me. This version works wonderfully for me!

The SO is amazing; thick, chewy, and darkly-sweet with a hint of smoke. The pomegranate adds this fresh, juicy, red, bright-candy-sweet pop, which to me, feels like the perfect exotic combo. :)

The pomegranate, while very sweet at first, dries out a little, so it doesn't turn out to be overly sweet at the end. It also seems to linger a good long while for me as well, and fade at about the same rate as the SO, so that is pretty much perfect! I am definitely very happy with this blend! :D

Edited by AirimirOfGondor

I get a mostly heavy, dark pomegranate out of this. I do get the Snake Oil as well, but it is a background player in this. If you like dark, heavy scents, this is for you. I applied only a tiny bit on my wrist and I can smell it wafting up! Dark fruit scents can go either way for me, and this one is kind of in the middle. Can't decide if I like it or not... but I do love Snake Oil, so I will see. :)

It starts out as a swoon-worthy dark fruit, with just a hint of Snake Oil hovering in the background. In the drydown, the balance slowly reverses till it's primarily Snake Oil with just a hint of fruitiness.

I find it's overall more subtle than straight-up SO, and seems to fade more quickly. (However, my bottle of SO is VERY aged, so not necessarily a fair comparison). I absolutely love this, so I predict it will be slathered...

Fruity snake oil. The pomegranate isn't as loud as I expected, nor is the snake oil. Sometimes fresh snake oil can smell a bit heady and overwhelming, but not here. It feels really wearable, although the pomegranate warms up to candy-ish levels. Not necessarily a bad thing, depends on how you like your snake oil. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys dark red fruits.

ETA: overall, this is light, and didn't stick around very long on my skin. Maybe just a few hours.

Edited by Carrie

In the bottle: Bright pomegranate -- I agree with folks who describe it as candy-like -- as the first note, followed by the sweet headiness of Snake Oil.

On my skin:

As in the bottle, the first note to emerge is the pomegranate. The more it dries and warms on my skin, though, the more the Snake Oil takes over. By the time everything settles, it's predominantly Snake Oil accented by the fruity note of the pomegranate. On me, the effect is to make the blend much more of an "anytime" scent.

Update 11/3 -- For whatever it's worth, I've found myself reaching for this a few times after experimenting with less successful scents. I don't know that it's ever a "wow" scent on me, but it is very nicely balanced, without any notes that my skin overly eats or amps. 

Edited by torischroeder9
update

Wet: Pomegranate and Snake Oil. Super straight forward, and they're pretty 50/50 as far a stars of the show. While I think the pom is on the sweeter side, I wouldn't say it's candy-like.

Dry: Yep, pomegranate Snake Oil. This isn't much a morpher on my skin, but the S.O. does seem to be stronger than the pomegranate now.

While I enjoy it and will definitely use up my decant, I'm not sure if this is bottle-worthy. I think with aging this will smell even better, though!

I wish the Lab's pomegranate note worked on me! But sadly, this goes the way of all Poms on me -- fruit-candy Neko wafers. Light, with only a hint of Snake Oil underneath.

Aaand my skin eats it in two hours. 😭

I really dislike pomegranate, and yet I feel compelled to try all things Snake Oil, so here we are.

Wet: Ugh. I also often forget how much I dislike the patchouli note in Snake Oil when it hasn't aged at least a year. This is all dirty (literally, smells like dirt on me) patchouli and bitter pomegranate on me. Not good.

Dry: Nope, not or me. I am sure if it aged half the problem (the patch) would be solved, but that wouldn't fix the fact that I just don't like pomegranate. You would think I would learn my lesson one of these days!

Pomegranate is a death note for me, but I had to try this variant.  It normally turns dusty on me, but here it is sweeeeeeet.  Very red fake fruity sweet.  I do get the Snake Oil in the background, but it's pretty much a fail on my skin due to the note of doom.  I should know better.

Snake Oil, with just a hint of fruit at first. Then the fruit fades, and this just smells like a bit lighter than usual Snake Oil.

This is just what it says on the tin: pomegranate over a base of Snake Oil. It's not tart like I suspected it would be, but that may be because I am getting a fair amount of Snake Oil vanilla from this (perhaps because this is an aged decant). As other reviewers mentioned, the pom in this verges on candy-like.

I'm not a fan of pomegranate and only tried this because I got it in a mystery pack of decants, but if you're looking for fruity Snake Oil, give this a whirl.

Edited by doomsday_disco