Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

One of the hardest parts of being a father is when your child loses something important to them.

Puppet Kitty is the most treasured of all of Lilith’s plushies, and earlier this year Puppet Kitty went missing. The panic of losing her consumed Lilith, and we all searched and searched for PK. It broke my heart when we finally stopped looking and had to just hope that she would show up sometime soon.

I cried when I found Puppet Kitty, and my heart melted when I saw look on Lilith’s face when I handed it Puppet Kitty back to her.

Every night, Lilith sprays lavender mist onto Puppet Kitty before going to sleep. This is the scent of that kitty: old, well-loved cotton, wool blankets, and gentle lavender skin-warmed by a sleeping child.

Cotton and sweet lavender and I think I smell vanilla or a touch of coconut? This is snuggly and beautiful and the label is super cute! Beautiful.

I adore the sentiment behind this scent, and I love lavender scents, so I was really excited about this one. I decided to test it on its own three times before attempting a review: once on the back of a hand, and twice along the length of my forearm before bed (slathering it before sleep). Although I tried to give it the attention it deserves, I still feel like my review is too analytical. Perhaps those that write more poetic reviews could describe it in a way that does it justice.

In the bottle: Sweet lavender and cotton. The only scent I can think of comparing it to is the Century Guild scent Who in the World Am I?.

Wet: A sweet lavender dominates, and it is lovely. It might be sugared, but this is no TKO lavender. It’s Lilith’s lavender. <3 The cotton note emerges after a few minutes and becomes more prominent as the scent sits on my skin. Then, I get a candy-like note that I am not able to identify as the scent begins to dry.

Dry: The lavender is a lot calmer now, the cotton has a bigger presence, and there’s still that underlying sweetness to the scent, which I believe may just be sugar. There was one point when it made me think of sugared cotton. I could envision the texture of cotton candy and thought that it was like that… if cotton candy were made of actual sugared cotton. But I also had a moment, shortly before it faded, where I thought of powdered sugar, which could also represent the fluffiness or sweetness Lilith’s treasured Puppet Kitty.

But I can’t really evaluate it beyond that, because Puppet Kitty fades in less than two hours on me, sadly. This is a lavender scent that you could wear during the day or before bed, but I would recommend the latter just because it doesn’t have much staying power (at least, not on me).

Verdict: This is one of the scents I was most looking forward to in my order, and I am glad that I ordered a bottle. I adore Lilith’s lavender scents, and of the lavender scents released in this year’s Lilith and Fatherhood updates, this is the standout for me. I am not sure if I need to grab a back-up bottle. I am trying to get away from doing that since there’s a beautiful, new lavender scent to look forward to every year. But Puppet Kitty is really lovely, and if you can only get one lavender scent between the two updates, I recommend this one.

*edit* Forgot to mention that I do get skin musk from this as well, but the lavender and cotton are more prominent on me.

Edited by doomsday_disco

I almost blind bottled this one, but now I'm glad I could refrain. I wanted this to be the lavender scent of my dreams, but the lavender was barely there for me! In the beginning wet stage, I get a super soft lav & cotton scent. As it dries, the lavender fades, being swiftly replaced by skin musk- the same as Neutral. Then it's just cotton-covered sweet musk until I fell asleep.

If there had been lavender throughout the experience, I would've gotten a bottle. I'll just stick with the decant and see if anything changes, or even use it for layering. Could be fun.

Hmmmmm.... I think it does the inspiration justice, but I'm not sure that I love this one. Skin musk and dry cotton is definitely the vibe I get from this. It has the smell of someone just coming in from outside. Clean, but a little sweaty/salty. I can smell the lavender too, but this is less about the lavender's perfume, and more about the smell of something comfortable, lived in, and well cuddled. I could see how this could be a great comfort scent for some folks, but I am not a fan of that smell unless it's on someone I know intimately, and this is a little too literal for my tastes. If you are one of those folks who likes the smell of sun warmed skin and fresh babies though, check this one out.

Wet: Lavender with cotton and musk. A warm, comforting lavender scent. Not herbal at all.

Dry: Same as the wet stage! Even the throw hasn't faded, which is impressive.

I like the idea of this scent, but it's not for me. (I tend to like more sweetness with my lavender scents.) I think my mom might love this, so I'll send my decant her way. ;)

I don't wear a lot of lavender because my skin eats it up, but I do think it's beautiful and love to try lavender scents. This one is lovely and gentle, and I can see it being a good sleep scent, especially because (as is usual with my skin) I didn't get a lot of wear length from it. I generally get an opening blast of lavender, and Puppet Kitty is no different in that regard. Then it mellows into a skin musk with warm wafts of what must be the cotton and wool notes, with a gentle background of lavender.

Soft cotton and lavender. It makes me think of lavender scented detergent on sheets. Soft, mellow, lavender. Low throw, medium wear length.-

I am super behind on reviews. My computer crashed, taking my ability to access my spreadsheet with it (new computer doesn't have excel yet, so while I had the spreadsheet backed up, it's useless. Awesome.) and that has made me lose my enthusiasm for testing properly and documenting like I have always done. *sigh*

This was a blind bottle

Wet: Sweet musky lavender. Very comforting. 

Dry: Not much of a morpher. The musk note is unexpected, but so pretty and soft and sweet. It really does remind me of the smell of a much loved stuffed animal that's been sprayed in lavender. This is a new bedtime fave. 

I love lavender, and this looked awesome according to notes, but it does end up falling flat on me.  Rare for a blend with lavender.  I'm getting something old and dusty with a slight fruit vibe.  Like a wine gum that has been lost in the couch for about a year.  On me, the same.  I could really swear there was pom in here, which rarely works on me.  The fruity Lilith's have been strike outs this year for me.

Very first impression: Blink. That's a thickly sweet musk.

Brain tries to parse things: Cottony lavender musk with a bit of saltiness like ambergris, and a lot of sugary -- even gooey -- coconut-marshmallow sweetness.

Drydown: Saltiness rising. Goodness, this one is a rocking ship, with all the salt and sweetness. Kitty ahoy? 

Dried: The storm passes, the salt spray settles, clouds part and reveal the moon. This has relaxed into simple, soft cotton musk, and it reminds me of Wynken, Blynken, and Nod.

Puppet Kitty went some unexpected directions on my skin at first, but it quickly settled into a calmer, simpler, skin-soft scent.

Puppet Kitty is a very intimate scent. When I first received it I was really taken aback, it truly smells like someones personal 'musk' in a bottle. It is a clean, spicy, round and sweet smell. But it does not smell foody at all to me.  At first put off, I found myself picking this up again and again. It dries down to a very strong clean scent when applied to my skin. Regardless, the initial application is so comforting I find myself indifferent to the way my chemistry changes it. I never would have sought to smell like this but the smell is so comforting and heart warming. If I find myself feeling far away or alone I reach for Puppet Kitty. A warm embrace in a bottle. 

Edit: I have tested this several times and had the scent evolve into a very clean soapy leaning musk. However, something about my chemistry has changed and this time around the scent has dried down in a linear fashion, staying true to the scent I get when first applied. Yay! 🙌

Edited by Amorphous Red

Imp
sharp lavender, laundry, child skin
(the oil is colorless)

On skin

Uhum! *cough. Well... it is EXACTLY the scent of a very old/used plushie. BUT that plushie contains the tears, sweat, spit, and whatever the plushie has experienced in the company of a child. ... Many... many... many years of such.

That is too realistic for me. I cannot cope with the whole tears, sweat, spit, child skin (musk) smell around me. The lavender was also too sharp on my skin; not the ones I am used to from the lab (and I really like lavender).

As such, this smell is not at all warm and comforting, but very annoying on my skin. Thus, the first time, I washed it off. But for review purposes, I did it again and:

Later

Well luckily for me, this becomes laundry later on (finally a washed plushie, yey!). The lavender eventually becomes more sweet as well. The imp may work on the pillow for the night. But the scent takes too much time to get from the initial sweat/spit/tears/life smell to a cleaner laundry with sweet lavender mist smell. I am so glad that I could try from an imp first, cause the half bottle I ordered from my circle will have to go to the swaps.

Thus
This scent shows the perfume artistry bpal and Beth can evoke: images and associations. It again shows that the lab's oils are very unique. This specific one is intimate and personal. Thus, I am glad I tried, despite the spit experience. This scent is like a look into someone else's life. And as such it is very beautiful and artistic! Because how on earth do you get it to smell exactly like that old plushie... I wished it had worked for me, but I can't bear this scent:)

Ageing

(after 3 years and 3 months): 😞 Ehm... no. NO. Not for me.

Edited by zazkea
ageing

This is more of a general thoughts than an actual review. 

On me this was very much coconut??? With a musky lavender and some sort of musk, all mixed together with laundry detergent and a touch of dryer sheets. It's not my ideal scent, and was very much different than that I was expecting, but I feel like it's right for some!

However, I got ill the day I was testing this, and this scent haunted my fever dreams, so tragically even the thought of retesting this for a proper review has sent me running and screaming.

So I was hoping I wasn't the weird outlier, but this starts off as buttered popcorn for me, or really kettle corn because there's a sweetness.  No lavender at all.  Maybe it's the combo of cotton and coconut that turns into popcorn for me?