Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
mollison

True Love

Liliths lavender smushed with Pickles coconut cream.

More lavender than coconut in the bottle and on the skin at first. The lavender is very herbal and strong, and when I sniff it wet, I get a weird taste in the back of my mouth. Then as it dries down, the lavender fades into a creamy floral in the background and a sugared coconut scent comes forward. It starts to verge on sunscreen-y coconut during this next short phase but never goes there. It settles into a creamy floral coconut that almost smells like tiare. Not too sweet (especially compared to the other Liliths I got) but the sweetness is there--more sweet than Tiki King and far less sweet than Tiki Princess. A winner!
Hours later, this dry-down is REALLY, REALLY pretty. It's not recognizably lavender or coconut, but this skin-hugging creamy clean scent that's slightly sweet. You have to get very close to smell it and it just smells amazing. Husband-approved.

Note: Beth mentioned in the Lilith 2018 thread that this contains hints of jasmine, cade, and lemongrass.

In the bottle: When this first arrived, I could smell the lavender and lots of coconut cream. Later that night, it was very strong on the lavender, followed by the jasmine, and then the coconut. After two days of settling, it smells like lavender and coconut, but I can still smell the jasmine from the bottle.

Wet: The lavender reigns. I do get the hints of lemongrass and jasmine. Both of these notes have a reputation for being loud, but they haven’t managed to take over the scent. That said, they are definitely noticeable. After a little bit, the coconut begins to come out more, and the jasmine becomes stronger. I also get more of the lemongrass.

Dry: The lavender has calmed down, and the coconut cream is more prominent. It ends up being coconut cream floral scent. After a few hours, it’s all about the coconut cream and jasmine, and I don’t get any more lavender from it. It also stays close to the skin.

Verdict: I think that this is different enough from Daybreak to warrant having both if both scents intrigue you, because this has touches of those other notes and does not contain vanilla. If I had to choose between the two, I have to say Daybreak is more up my alley, as the lavender in that one plays a greater role on me, and I really love lavender and vanilla together. While Daybreak is a sweet lavender scent, True Love ends up being more like a tropical, creamy, coconut-y floral scent. I am not sure I will hold on to my bottle, as I was mostly here for the lavender, and that note was gone after a few hours on me. But it is a nice creamy, coconut-y floral if that is your thing!

(Also, I did not get any cade from this in the bottle or on my skin if you are concerned about that note, but of course, skin chemistry is everything!)

Edited by dementia_divine

Because I have a couple bottles left of the similar Daybreak, I was going to pass on this one until I saw the mention of jasmine. I usually love the LE jasmines, so...

Freshly applied, True Love has more than a hint of jasmine on me. Equal parts of lavender and jasmine waft up, with a little creaminess smoothing them. The effect of the cream on them reminds me of gardenia. Coconut hints suffuse the blend. This is tropical and very, very pretty.

In drying, the blend brings out more coconut and a lemony-green hint of lemongrass. Lemongrass can take over on me, but it's a soft touch here.

When I first tried this blend, I smelled the cade during drydown, but I'm not really getting it on the re-test. On the first test, I noticed a bit of the dark, somehow hollow-toned juniper I remember from Wolves Howled, Ravens Screamed. It was scarcely there, and if I hadn't read about it, I would have written it off as a touch of odd skin chemistry. (Like yew berries, cade can smell a bit off on me.) It didn't feel like it fit with the rest of the blend, but it's not noticeable today, so...

On both tests, after drydown, the blend quickly thins out, losing its shape. Then my skin eats most of it. Maybe it needs more of a fixative note for me.

I'll see what time does for its longevity; but I'm certainly keeping it, because the first phase is so pretty.

Wet: Lavender and jasmine. Very fresh and clean smelling.

Dry: The lavender disappeared, and the coconut emerged. Not getting any type of a "cream" note; this is mostly just coconut and jasmine on my skin.

Not a scent for me, unfortunately.

Coconut, lavender, and a whiff of citrus. The coconut comes on strongly on wet, and then recedes and I get more of a citrusy lavender. Very comfy. It's like lavender went to the beach and slathered on some suntan lotion. Medium throw and wear length.

Lavender, yes. Coconut-yes. Playing with Sun's Eye Oils in every new age shop for 20 years- ABSOLUTELY. They must have a similar proprietary blend? I believe in the previous statement that Beth snuck in bits of jasmine, cade and lemongrass. Something jasmine and citrusy in here. They're amping on my skin coconut is moving to the back quite a bit!

I’m always wary of lavender. My skin amps it, my nose is overly sensitive to it, and my brain can pick out the tiniest drop of it in any blend. It usually comes across as overtly herbaceous and medicinal when I get a whiff, which isn’t a bad thing—hey, that has its place—but it often turns Lab blends into one-note-wonders which bums me out.

So color me happy with True Love. Sniffed from the bottle, and immediately on skin, oh yeah, it’s all lavender. But as soon as the scent dries on my skin, the other notes bloom beautifully. If I had to sum it up in a few words, they’d be “lavender poof.” This is light. It’s dainty. That creamy coconut scent really turns the lavender into something gentle and ethereal, very different than my typical experience of lavender as ALL UP IN MY FACE.

Lavender and coconut. I'd say they are really evenly balanced. And if there's jasmine in there, it's so subtle, it doesn't take over. It smells like fresh out of the shower to me. It's not too fruity, nor too herbal. So, I think that someone who is looking for a slightly sweet, clean laundry smell will enjoy this.

I knew nothing of the "secret" notes when I grabbed a bottle at Comic Con the other day, so I thought initially that the sharp lavender and the coconut were doing all the lifting. But even knowing about the cade, jasmine and lemongrass doesn't change the puzzle of this scent for me, because Once the scent warms on my skin and dries down, the lavender turns soft and light, the coconut fades into the background and what I'm left with are breezes of gardenia and tiare. It's not tropical as that might sound. It's gorgeous, though, a great floral for those that don't like florals (such as myself) because it doesn't really read that way. It's sweet and lovely and comforting, but not like cuddling into warm blankets, more like basking in partial sun under some palm trees near crystalline waters singing lullabies.

Definitely a lavender scent. I'm getting a lot of lavender, softened by coconut. If I concentrate I can almost pick out the coconut on its own, but it's definitely playing second fiddle to the lavender here. Overall, a sweet, softer lavender scent. I'm pretty happy with this one, the lab's lavender can go pretty strong, medicinal, and/or sharp on me, so I'm glad to have my hands on something that is sweeter and softer, rounded at the edges by coconuts.

In the bottle, coconut and the wispy, fluffy lavender are made murky by the smokiness of cade. On my skin this is very coconut forward, a distinctly creamy coconut. Quite different from Daybreak in that aspect. I get faint touches of creamy jasmine and a bit of brightness from the lemongrass. As it dries I get that smoky cade again, just faintly around the edges. Hypnotic and snuggly.

At first, this is very much like The Serpentine.  After a bit, it's pretty much the same, only with the addition of the coconut cream.  I really like this, and may need more than the dram that I got.  I'm on my last bottle of Serpentine, and this is pretty close.

In the bottle: LAVENDER

Wet: still a lot of lavender, and then suddenly its friend jasmine takes over the show. Thankfully it is a soft jasmine, not a stinky one.

Dry: The coconut cream turns this into a smooshy lavender-jasmine pillow. Very gentle and comforting. Gives the impression of incredibly high-end marshmallows.

Wet: Tons of lavender. Hints of coconut. I haven't worn Daybreak (a fave) since summer, but I think this is fairly different. It's a colder coconut. More tropical. I can detect hints of jasmine, but only because I know Beth said it was there. Otherwise it would just be something floral I couldn't put my finger on - no hint of cat pee here for those worried about it, this is the tiniest bit of jasmine. I can't smell the lemongrass Beth mentioned. This is primarily sweet herbal lavender with cold, frothy, tropical coconut.

Dry: The lavender goes through a weird "BO" stage that sometimes happens on my skin - not pleasant. Then it settles and the coconut and jasmine become dominant. It's nice and tropical, and I sort of enjoy the jasmine in this, which is rare, but it's something I really will want to wear to bed often (I got it as a sleep scent for summer). I'll keep what I have but don't need more.