Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Meditation Buddy

Ever since Lilith was five or so, she and I have meditated together. We do Headspace, we do breathing exercises, we just sit and share space together in silence. Sometimes we do it in the morning to start our day, sometimes we meditate at night to unwind.

Our meditation space smells like vanilla-laced frankincense, Florida Water, sandalwood incense, salt crystals, candle wax, and white rose petals.

Meditation Buddy to me smells like Florida water, vanilla, incense, and a whiff of white roses. It's complex, mellow, and very calming. I am actually digging this alot. Medium throw and wear length.

In the Bottle:

Wax, rose, incense and a touch of vanilla to smooth it out

On the Skin:

Beautiful candle wax, soft rose and little of the citrus from the Florida water. The incense is heavy, sweet and round - beautiful. This reminds me of my beloved Hand of Glory with rose and citrus, both of which just simmer under the surface.

On the Drydown:

This is hoard worthy and will become divine with age. The Florida water note is pure genius which could have gone wrong without the light touch. The rose, my least favourite note in many blends, is delightful and just adds to the whole without overtaking the blend. Stunning in it's complexity and in it's inspiration.

Wet: Sweet and salty frankincense, with a smidgen of candle wax.

Dry: Sweet frankincense, white rose, and candle wax. It's still a little salty, but much less than the wet stage. I'm not typically a fan of roses in my perfumes, but it's very soft and pretty here. (Yay white rose!)

The name of the blend fits perfectly; this is a very calming, soothing scent. I can see it becoming pretty popular! For me though, I'll just stick with the decant.

Meditation Buddy reminds me of Flickering Lantern (beeswax, tobacco leaf, a whiff of smoke, purple rose petals) without any of the purple, and with ... I want to call it vanilla swamp. There is a vanilla-tinged, slightly swampy aquatic note.

I get a beeswax-incense rose on a background of vanilla swamp-water.

I can see reasons for love here. As with Flickering Lantern, though, there's a sort of cloying quality in this rose, or perhaps in this combination, that isn't quite working for me. I love the beeswax-incense-vanilla portion, though.

In the decant: I’m mostly getting the orange of the Florida Water and the sandalwood incense from this now with some of the vanilla-laced frankincense behind it. A few days ago, the white rose was one of the first things I could smell from the vial, but it doesn’t stand out to me anymore!

Wet: The orange of the Florida Water is the strongest note on me, followed by the vanilla-infused frankincense and sandalwood incense. It’s like a resinous creamsicle at the moment. After a few minutes, I can smell the salt.

Dry: It remains that way for some time: the strong orange, backed by the resins and vanilla, but the resins and salt are stronger now, and the wax has also joined in. I get some of the white rose after it has been on the skin for a while. After a few hours, this ends up staying close to the skin.

Verdict: This is really nice… I just wish it were a little stronger on me! I’m going to keep my decant, and I’ll give it a full day test before it goes away to see if I need more of it. Definitely a contender for a bottle purchase.

Edited by doomsday_disco

IN THE IMP: The sniff test of the imp is surprisingly faint. I get a slight waxy creaminess but no specific notes.

WET: There is something I can't immediately put my finger on that just is not working with my body chemistry ... pretty sure it's the white roses. I am not really sure what Florida Water is supposed to smell like so I don't know if that's it. It is, unusually for me, giving a lot more throw from my wrist than the crook of my arm, though the crook scent is a little nicer and less sharp.

DRYDOWN: VERY rose-forward. I'm getting almost ZERO frankincense or sandalwood to offset it or calm it down (a shame, because the frankincense and sandalwood notes were what I was looking forward to.) The rose and then the vanilla are really amping.

RESULT: Sadly, this just did not work for me at all. I smelled like the candle aisle at a Michael's craft store and while I love Michael's, I don't want to smell like one. I think for anyone who plays nicely with roses this would be great. I'm just not that person.

I get all of the notes listed, with an emphasis on the wax, to my delight. Although it is a lighter scent, it is quite long lasting. It is indeed a good perfume for meditation or just to be in a calm sweet spot. Lovely!

ETA Feb 23, 2019 Wow! After four months this has gone from lovely to gorgeous! It actually seems stronger, the wax and vanilla deeper, the salt more apparent. The orange and rose are always such a winning combination! 

Edited by Minh Scent

This is my favorite of the Liliths this year. It's very vanilla-forward, and mellows into a spicy, incensey vanilla with a little bit of rose. (Rose can be overpowering or just plain icky on me, but it works here!)

I had to google "Florida water," but I wonder if lavender is involved because I'm getting some of the vanilla-lavender similar to Paper Phoenix last year.

Lavender and white rose come out first. The opening is actually pretty nice, considering I don't like lavender blends (but love lavender essential oil by itself). It must be the spices and sandalwood incense. The salt crystal note reminds me of the Air and the Ether. After it dries, it becomes a waxy skin scent. Perhaps the vanilla will come out more later on. Hold up! Drydown kicks back up, with a sheer rose vanilla frank. Very soft, but it's there. Citrus rose and incense now. I love this blend!

This is a very relaxing scent. Smells a bit like a natural spa or a bit like a Lush product initially. I have a hard time pulling the notes out, at first I got a distinctly bright and gritty frankincense and thin wax but that soon melds with the rest. Its bright and floral and creamy and waxy and herbal and salty all at once. But it doesn't feel jumbled, it feels as a unison. 

Meditation can be much simpler when I have a buddy, tapping into collective power. Helping me feel connected and courageous. 
I had paused buying BPAL around the time the Lilith's dropped last year due to health and life upheaval, but knew I had to have this one. I've been seeking a bottle of Om Gam Ganapataye Namaha for literally years without success, so I was hoping Meditation Buddy would give me the perfect meditation blend. I'm back to wearing and buying fragrances again thank Vishnu, and now I am wishing i'd picked up a BU bottle I love this so much. 
Some of my favorite blends include frankincense such as "The Contrast" and "Hope and Fear Set Free". This is more dainty and feminine with its sweet rose laced with vanilla, adding a creaminess. I've been thinking about mixing up a huge batch of florida water with ice just for house cleaning purposes, and I wish this fragrance could be bought by the gallon to splash everywhere on me and all of my casa.

Edited by Jenjin

I missed Meditation Buddy when the Liliths dropped, probably because I was worried about the rose.  I needn't have been.  It's a really nice one (second time recently white rose has worked on me; I'll need to remember that).  Testing blind, I got rosy sandalwood, that chewy salt note I love, and vanilla.  The frankincense is a lighter variety than, say, Penitence or Ann Bonny.  I wasn't able to make out much of the candle note, which is a shame because it's one of my favorites, or the Florida water.  But there's enough going here to make it interesting.  Airy from the frankincense, grounding from the salt, a really unique scent.  I do wish my home smelled like this one.  

Edited by Lucchesa