Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Euterpe’s Ukulele

Lilith has always loved music – especially singing – but this year, she started to get serious about it. This photo was taken this past April, while she rehearsed her slow, haunting cover of Riptide.

A scent that smells to me the way Lilith’s voice sounds when she sings that song in her deep, thoughtful, sweet voice: wild plum, shadow oudh, osmanthus, and patchouli.

I know I'm going to love it when Beth throws wild plum into a bottle a resins.

I've had the pleasure of spending a little time with Lilith at the past two DragonCons. Her voice has a unique quality, and Beth nailed it with this scent. High and low, airy, yet purposeful.

In the Bottle:

Patchouli and oudh with a floral backing

On the Skin:

Definitely rich plum at the forefront, briefly, on application and then sweet, smooth patchouli and heavy oudh emerge. Deep, earthy and really luscious. The osmanthus adds a sweet floral undercurrent but intertwines with the other notes seemlessly. The patchouli rears up agan a little later but it is a truly awesome patch - smooth and sweet.

On the Drydown:

Dries down to a whisper of patch and plum. Lovely

I was worried about the shadow oudh here as I've been burned a couple times by black oudh recently. I should have realized that, being a Lilith, it would be a soft, pretty oudh, nothing to fear. I get very little patchouli in Euterpe's Ukulele. It is mostly sweet plum, soft dark oudh, and a gentle floral that must be osmanthus. My skin eats this up fairly quickly, but I suspect age will help the wear length. Maybe the patchouli will emerge with aging as well.

Worn: October 2, 2018 - written from morning application, midday, to early evening.

I'm getting a really pure plum note. It's not overtly sweet and not at all powdery. Right away I can get an airy floral note that's a lot like a lily (which I'm guessing is the osmanthus). At first, I don't get a lot of patchouli. This scent is very fairy-like to me, and not "Tinkerbell" but handmaiden to Queen Mab-Unseelie-enticing-Sidhe sort of fairy.

Over the day, the patchouli starts to come out. It's a pretty clean patchouli (not at all hippie-like) and it creates a resin base with the shadow oudh. There's almost an aquatic top note, which is probably the osmanthus coming to the forefront. Still a little airy, and the plum is still the reigning star.

At the end of the day, the floral note has drifted away. The plum actually got a bit sweeter. The shadow oudh stayed in the base notes and gave the scent a slight "old, dead tree" scent. The patchouli never overpowered and as a result, I have a gentle, wispy plum. It brings to mind a night time forest, in soft dark blues, silvery purple colors and cool night air.

Thoughts before testing: I recently fell in love with the plum in Bathsheba so when I saw this, I immediately pounced.

Wet: Slightly indolic but very pretty. Very well blended, I can't really pick out any individual notes except to go "ooh, pretty and fancy"

Dry down: The indolic smell isn't going away which is weird because I usually only get this from jasmine. Beneath that, it's a sweetish resinous scent.

Dry: The patch starts to really blossom after several hours on the skin. It's not gnarly or rooty but is really smooth and polished and warm.

Final thoughts: That indolic tinge never went away despite a full day test this week. Maybe hormones? I don't know, but I also don't know if i liked this enough to try it again.

Verdict: I'll hang onto the decant for aging purposes but definitely not a bottle purchase.

The front of the scent is a deep, rich very true plum with floral element. It's hard to pick out notes besides the plum. I don't get an intense indolic oudh or identifiable patch, just a dark rich depth beneath the plum. When first applied I get something vaguely gourmand, like warm pastry, underneath everything which threw me off. But that seems to fade very quickly. Reminds me of a moodier Mme. Moriarty 

I always love Beth's plum note! I was gifted a bottle of this from a friend, and it is so lovely. Upon application, it is a very strong plum, but not foodie, with the osmanthus mingling and giving it a white floral note that is reminiscent of lilies of the valley! It stays this way for quite a long while on my skin. I love patchouli and oudh, but they are hiding here. About 30 minutes later, the stronger white floral has left and the plum has now darkened a bit. Lovely floral scent that patchouli haters shouldn't be afraid of. Lasts forever on me. When applied at bedtime I can still smell it in the morning.