Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
boomtownrat

Don’t Tell Me Heaven is Under the Earth

Listening to music, blowing bubbles.

A handful of honey sticks, yesterday’s patchouli, and a dusting of cinnamon sugar.

I'm not sure what kind of honey this is, but in the bottle it's a little funky and combines with the patchouli in a slightly sour way. I think the "sticks" are actually a note in this, not just straight up honey. As is usually the case, the way it smells in the bottle isn't how it smells on the skin.

When I apply it on the back of my wrist it reminds me of what Feed Me and Fill Me with Pleasure smelled like when it was fresh. On the inside of my wrist there's nothing I can compare it to, but the cinnamon is much more present. It's the most well-balanced combination of notes when applied on my throat, more like Feed Me.

This is not the gnarly black patchouli, but more of the woody red kind. I might find it safe to wear around people who don't like patchouli. It's not loud at all, but I'm sure it's going to deepen with age.

This starts out with a honeyed patchouli. The patchouli is soft and reminds me of the lab's white patchouli note. It's not funky or strong and doesn't have that "hippie" smell many patchouli notes have. It's inoffensive and slightly woody, tempered by the sweetness of the honey. As it dried, I could smell cinnamon sugar just in the background. Not a spicy cinnamon at all, but just like cinnamon sugar toast but without the toast! As the day went on this just settled to a comforting, sweet patchouli that I really love. It reminds me of Yucca Yucca Giant Skipper, one of my favorite perfumes.

Sweet honey sticks on a background of cinnamon and a lovely sugar-dusted, mellow patchouli.

Wet: The honey sticks have a candy-ish tone that makes them honey stick-y, instead of just honey. That part brings this blend well into foodie territory for me. I love every part of this mix that is not the stick part of the honey.

Dry: The candy stick vibe has drifted, and this is now simply sweet, cozy, and soft, like a russet, sugary sweater. Great fall scent.

Sugary honey patchouli. This is definitely a honeyed patchouli, and it sort of reminds me to Badgers but a little lighter and less floral. There's an almost brown leather quality to the patchouli on this. Good throw and wear length.

Sweet honeyed patchouli, very reminiscent of Feed Me and Fill Me with Pleasure. I don't really get any cinnamon, but there's a dustiness to this once it settles onto my skin.

But where FMaFMwP has hella throw on me, this one is a soft skin scent with almost no throw. Lasts for hours at that level.

So this is a combination of things that can go all wrong: patchouli and honey both amp on me like crazy (and sometimes I don't want to smell like a stinky hippie, and I never want to smell like a snack) and cinnamon can...give me a rash? Now that I'm typing all this, why did I take a chance on it at all?

I'm glad I did! I like the balance -- the patchouli and cinnamon keep the honey in check, and the patchouli is warm/earthy and not super-hippie. Gentle, spiced incense. Not much throw, but lasts for a long time.

In the decant: Honey, a soft patchouli, and some cinnamon sugar (more cinnamon than sugar).

Wet: On my skin, the honey and cinnamon sugar notes stand out the most, backed by a soft patchouli. The cinnamon sugar is reminiscent of the kind you’d put on toast, and it’s stronger on me than it was in the decant, but that may be because I tend to amp spices. The patchouli in this is a red variety that’s becoming more prominent as the scent begins to dry.

Dry: The red patchouli is now the dominant note. It’s soft and does give the impression of “yesterday’s patchouli” like in the description. It’s backed by the honey note. The cinnamon sugar is faint now -- there really is just a dusting of it in the background.

Verdict: I’m always looking for more sweet patchouli scents since I thought I didn’t like the stuff until I tried Banshee Beat. This is nice, but it didn’t wow me, so it’s not something I need more of. I will probably keep my decant, though!

IN THE IMP: Patchouli is the predominant note but with a sugary sweetness.

WET: Patchouli is the obvious first throw but it’s a “sweet patchouli.” It smells very clean, for lack of a better word, but not soapy … just a shiny bright golden clean scent. It makes me feel oddly happy and strong and calm.

DRY: Sweet but not syrupy. Dry and golden.

RESULT: This reminds me a lot of how I remember Ahathoor … a truly golden scent that could easily be a TAL in how it appeals to my core and my feelings when I sniff my wrist/crook of my arm. The throw is perfect … it’s THERE but not overpowering (I stealth test drove it by joining hubby for a cup of morning coffee and sat right across from him and he didn’t say anything about my perfume!). This is something I will absolutely keep on hand to dab lightly when I need confidence, calm and a settled heart.

Edited by JazzieCazzie

I am discovering that I really like sweet, mild patchouli blends, and this one does not disappoint. Strong cinnamon at first, with a touch of sweetened patch. It really mellows out after awhile, and it turns into a lovely blended, softly spiced patch. It kind of reminds me of Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal, but in the best way possible. I may want to upgrade from an imp, though I have told myself I don't need any more to add to my collection. Damn, I really do need a bottle, and I'm not even a spice girl...

This is smoooooth patchouli. The honey from the honey sticks is very light, mostly contributing sweetness. The dusting of cinnamon sugar is bold at first, but gradually becomes a faint spiciness supporting the patch. Dreamy.

I was initially dubious about whether or not I need a bottle. My skin's relationship with patchouli is kind of in flux right now. After burning through 1 1/2 decants, it's obvious I do need a bottle.

Unf golden sweet patchouli, the smooth sweet patch I love. No stale cardboard in sight. This smells like the dusky golden light of a satisfying sunset. 

This is *gorgeous.* I jumped on the chance to get a bottle of this one because I love honey and recently discovered I am crazy for Silky Bat, so a sugary honeyed patch sounded amazing and like something I was missing in my collection. This scent isn't as . . . crisp? focused? extroverted? as Silky Bat; it's soft and serene, dusted with cinnamon sugar and golden with honey.

Sooo yeah this is great. It's like if there was a patchouli version of Cinnamon Toast Crunch. No milk, obviously, but all the comfort and ease of Saturday morning breakfast cereal.