Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
doomsday_disco

Blue Blankie

Lilith has several blankies that mean the world to her, and this is one of them. She’s had it since she was a baby, and she still sleeps with it every night. This blankie has been all over the US, has been to innumerable conventions, and has visited Paris, London, Stratford-Upon-Avon, Salzburg, and Berlin. This blankie has been a comfort in sorrow and a companion in joy. It has been clutched in laughter and has been succor in illness. This blanket has seen thousands upon thousands of dreams.

May it always keep you warm, safe, and happy, Lilith.

French lavender, skin musk, and a drop of rose water.

I retrieved this from the mailbox around 1 PM and am testing it 9 hours later. I normally give a scent at least an entire day to settle before testing it, if not more, so I will amend my review if my experience is different when I try this tomorrow. :)

In the bottle, Blue Blankie is a blast of strong French lavender. I can smell the rose water in the background, and then the skin musk. I bought this to use as a sleep scent, and just from the bottle, I have to say that I can’t imagine using it for another purpose. This is no daytime lavender.

Wet: The French lavender dominates, but I am getting a lot more of the rose water and skin musk on my skin than I did from the bottle. The rose water is fresh and tart and makes me think of pink roses. It’s becoming stronger as it sits on my skin. It’s like Lilith’s lavender + TAL Nocturne, only not as strong on the rose.

Dry: I was worried that the rose water would take over at one point (it definitely feels like more than a drop on me), but this ends up being pretty even on the lavender and rose water once dry. The skin musk comes out more over time, so that after a few hours, it ends up being a skin musk infused with rose water and what remains of the lavender. It’s cozy and comforting.

Verdict: I leapt for a bottle of this one because I adore lavender and thought it would make a nice sleep scent. I will be keeping my bottle and using it for that purpose, but I don’t think that a back-up bottle will be necessary.

Blue lavender sugar. This smells like a sugary lavender musk. Sort of like TKO but sweeter and slightly muskier. Good throw and wear length.

I wore Blue Blankie as a sleep scent once and then lost the decant (sigh).

However, I recall a potent French lavender first up. I also kept smelling hops right alongside it. I couldn’t lose the hops impression with the lavender. It reminded me of the lavender-hops pairing of Lilith’s HG and Fuck This Heat.

Blended in was a pretty musk, light but without most of the powder I get from white musk. Yay, skin musk.

The rose appeared in drydown and was quite potent on me. It had aquatic hints, but wasn’t at all like a few rose water notes that haven’t worked on me in other blends.

I’m glad I got to test this before it wandered off, but I hope to try it later when I’m awake. :-)

That one drop of rose water really amps over everything else. Not that I mind, as it softens the bite of the lavender, and lord knows I need something to do that. A comfy, simple scent.

What I have come to call "Lilith Lavender" scents are my fave for bedtime. Hoping this will be a good edition to that collection!

Wet: Lots of strong herbal lavender, and some sugary musk. Really great. Very simple. Good throw. Pretty much what I hoped for!

Dry: This is totally perfect for bedtime. Really herbal lavender (which I love) and hints of sugary musk. The rose never shows up on me, but that's OK. I wanted this to be all about the lavender, and it is.

I blind bought a full bottle of this for my love of lavender as a bedtime scent and the fact that I have my own tattered blue blankie (no longer welcome in the bed)

wet: this is the most perfect french lavender - it is decidedly french - the lavender here is exactly the same as this little sachet of lavender a friend brought me from france, but there is an added sweetness here too, and it's grounded by the musk - there's a faint smell of rose in the background

dry: as it dries the rose amps like crazy - it's the largest "drop" !! - at least it doesn't get sour (as rose can on me), but this basically becomes a rose forward scent. Still sweet and light, like fresh rose petals, but not much of the lavender I came here for left.

verdict: it's still good for bedtime (hoping I fall asleep before it hits rose!) the initial stage is just so perfect and dreamy I would wear it all day long too if it weren't for my chemistry amping that darn rose

I would love to chime in first on how much I adore this scent's name and story ... like some others here, I really relate to it ... when we were setting up our little one's nursery, we chose not to find out the gender and the decor was "neutral" but very close to my own taste ... light blue and white stars and moons. I bought some soft flannel in a few similar prints and made pillows. One was a light blue with a lavender skew with tiny white stars and moons. That became her "lovie" ... she called it "DiDi" (pronounced with the long I -- and I don't know WHY she called it that but she did -- ironically, she called her diaper "boppy") and she could not/would not sleep without it.

On one of hubby and my first "getaway nights" when she was about 3, a good friend/parent of her best friend took her for the night and we went to a fancy restaurant/hotel for the night ... when we checked into the hotel, the front desk told us we had an urgent message. They read to us: "Where is dee-dee?" We looked blank for a moment and then simultaneously realized what it meant and that each of us thought the other one had packed DiDi. Fortunately, she dealt with it but it became anecdotal.

Obviously, it had some serious wear and tear but I managed to keep finding bolts of the material periodically and would buy up all I could ... even a bolt on eBay ... until I couldn't find it anymore ... I warned her she might want to give it a little less love to make it last LOL.

Long story short: She is 28 years old, getting married next fall, and she STILL has DiDi on her bed. She no longer travels with it LOL but it is still there (her fiance is understanding and awesome). And I still search eBay every so often and make random stops at big-old fabric stores in my travels to see if I can find DiDi material.

IN THE IMP: Full-on lavender.

WET: Mostly lavender upon application with a little bit of rose but no discernable musk. Very lovely.

DRYDOWN: As it dries, the rose rises very quickly and the lavender is almost gone. On full drydown, I get an herbal rose with a little bit of a musky kick and no lavender.

RESULT: I think this would make an amazing bath product, bath oil or bubble bath. I don’t think I’d wear it as a perfume mainly because I go for a different perfume vibe (more spicy/foody), but I love the scent itself and think this will be a very popular scent … it’s complex yet simple and beautiful and, yes, comforting.

Not sure why, but this lavender blend smells like a bluer version, but maybe it's just in my head with the title and all.  I never met a lavender I didn't love, or at least like, and this doesn't disappoint.  It's not Serpentine or Lilith Victoria, but this one will definitely do, and I'll use up the dram.  A very unique take on the lavender theme.  Very comforting.  I think I may actually need more...FWIW, I don't get any noticeable rose or musk, just seemingly well blended.

Edited by milo

I blind bottle purchased this because 1) Lilith's lavenders are some of my fave BPAL lavenders and 2) all the notes. It doesn't disappoint for me. I did have to let it rest for several days after it arrived because the lavender was PO-TENT. It's a sharp, herbal, French lavender like slo said. Once it settled, I have been wearing it off and on, here and there to get my feel for this review. 😀Wet it is still a sharp lavender, which is fine by me, I love my lavenders strongly herbal. Once it settles, the rose comes forward, and I find it softened by the skin musk so it's like a pale, pink, dry rose (I didn't find it rose dominant like others, but my skin eats up lav and rose). I love it. I don't just wear it as a sleep scent, but that's because Iavender and rose are two personal faves that I will wear all the time. 

Scored a sample of this recently. When wet, it's sharp, sneeze-inducing French Lavender, but once that dries down, the notes complement each other perfectly. I love rose but it nearly always amps and ruins blends; this rose is whisper light, and doesn't overpower, or go powdery or old-fashioned. Definitely a clean laundry scent, but it also has a slightly mysterious, flower-fairy feel to me. I love this and will keep my eye out for a full bottle.