Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ltrittipoe

Absurd Origin Story

I can’t say X-23 and I can’t say snickt and I can’t say Wolverine, so my ability to tell stupid jokes here is limited. Let’s say this is L-10’s origin story wherein she is accidentally plopped into a barrel of room temperature French fries, and emerges with superhuman mutations that grant her immortality, regeneration, and lethal deep-fried potato claws.

When I told Lilith I was going to make her a French fries scent, she yelled EWWWWWWWW, so here’s a perfume that smells like a carbonated caramel-flavored soda (that shall remain nameless) with a hint of marshmallow.

I love, love Beth’s “carbonated” notes, whether it’s soda, champagne, or cider. And this is definitely as advertised - bubbly caramel soda!

It does have a moment on first application where it’s just ever so faintly bitter, and then that vanishes to leave nose-tickling bubbles, refreshing and sweet. Yummy, mouthwatering cream soda, vanilla more than caramel - maybe that’s the marshmallow?

This is very light, with low throw - I have to put my nose fairly close to my wrist to smell it, but I think that it may get stronger with a little age - most of the Lab’s carbonated blends seem to start out light and get stronger with time. :wub:

I love cola fragrances and this one is so authentic but with the added bonus of a fluffy marshmallow background. It has that invigorating carbonated element to it (I don't know what magic Beth uses to achieve this, but it's always fabulous) and it's just the right amount of sweet. Back up bottle worthy for me!

Ginger ale and sugary caramel. I get the fizz and it really sort of codes to ginger ale to me, and a whiff of caramel. Medium throw and wear length.

In the decant: Fizzy cola!

Wet: Same! But I’m getting more of the actual cola now than I did in the decant, which had more fizz. It smells very realistic, too! I am not getting any marshmallow at the moment.

Dry: This remains a fizzy cola scent. I am still not detecting any marshmallow from this, but it is a really nice soda scent.

Verdict: This is super realistic cola! I will be keeping my decant for sure. I will give it a full day test before the Liliths disappear to see if I get any marshmallow after it has had a chance to age a bit and to see if I need more before this goes away.

Edited by dementia_divine

Thoughts before testing: I've been doing keto for almost two years now (and low carb for even longer before that) and Coke was by far the hardest thing for me to quit. So when I saw the description of this, I immediately tossed it in my cart. Marshmallow is one of my favorite perfume notes and I have high hopes that this will satisfy those damn sweet cravings that still linger even now.

Wet: It smells like I smeared an ice cold Coke on my skin, all fizz and sweet :D

Dry down: The marshmallow comes out a little more but mostly it's a fizzy Coke scent. I don't mind the lightness of the marshmallow here as I don't have anything in my perfume box that comes even close to a cola fragrance.

Dry: That fizziness is just delightful and lasts forever. When I worked at the now-defunct Borders bookstore, our cafe would make a cola drink with vanilla whipped cream and raw sugar that tasted exactly like this smells. I'm shockingly into this.

Final thoughts: I don't have anything in my perfume box like this and it's a definite keeper!

Verdict: upgrading to a bottle!

Just like Alethia I'm on Keto and can't eat sugary stuff. Well but cola was fairly easy to quit, it was rather that sweet fizzy quality of drinks I was missing. (Quit light or zero too)

I'm shocked and in awe that one can create a fizzy scent that really smell fizzy!! That's amazing!! It's definitely fizzy sparkling cola! It's sweet with a light citrus vibe (the fizzyness??)

Even after 30 minutes it's still the same fizzyness, gorgeous! What a fun scent! Definitely bottle worthy!!

Very fizzy cream soda. I can almost taste the carbonation on this one for the first few minutes after application. The fizzy smell dies down, but never goes away. Once it dries for a bit I get a lot of fancy, rich cream, vanilla soda. I cannot pick out the caramel or the marshmallow personally.

As others have mentioned, not as much throw in this scent as others. I'm personally inclined not to care as I am digging this scent so much. This is a surprise favorite for me. I love the lab's champagne scents and find myself liking this one for the same level of fizziness (also as others have mentioned).

I thought I would like this, but it is uber sweet on me.  It smells like coke on steroids, and I don't get any marshmallow.  Coke to me has a fruity vibe, but I can't figure out the fruit.  Citrusy?  Whatever the case, it's a big fail.

I thought for some reason I had reviewed this and am embarrassed to have been SO remiss, since this has shot to the top 5 of my all-time favorite BPAL scents because ... COLA!!!! 

It is just cola cola cola to my nose, not cream soda but full-on colacolacolaCOLACOLACOLA.

Have I mentioned that COLA is pretty much my favorite note, possibly made more so because it's just not that common! (Offhand, the only other product I can think of from an OCYL that is similarly scented is last year's Santa's Christmas bath gel from Lush and this year's Santa bath bomb which is the same scent ... may I say how GORGEOUSLY this goes with that?)

I bought two bottles of Absurd Origin Story so that I could use one as perfume and one to scent body products and combined a travel bottle of Aveeno unscented lotion with a few drops of this and it is so divine it makes me want to cry!

Fizzy cola. This is very sweet, and reminds me that I can't even drink regular coke because it's way too sweet for me. I love sugary scents, though, and this is close to too much even for me! It's almost more like a coke float with a bit of a creamy/vanillic aspect to it, which I guess is the "hint of marshmallow."

SN: Cola. If that appeals to you, you will probably like this scent. I think I'm happy with just my decant, because I can't see myself reaching for this one often. However, it definitely fills a unique niche because I've never really had a realistic straight-up cola scent like this one before!