Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Pumpkin King

No scent description available.

this gorgeous oil was an extra in my latest order. it's a dark amber in color, which initially surprised me for some reason.

in the bottle, it took me the longest time to figure out what it smelled like, but while i was mulling some apple cider, it came to me: it smells like spiced mulled apple cider. apples, cinnamon, nutmeg, all spice, cloves, ginger. the apples are really in the background compared to the spices, which is probably why my mind immediately went to uranus as a scent comparison.

wet, it goes through this stage that's similiar to mabon, when the apple and woodsy elements are settling in, and the spices go in the background. there's a green taste to it, but it's very faint, and a slight pumpkin. once, i sniffed something that may have been vetiver, but i'm not sure...

dry, it's very similar to how it is wet, though instead of apples, it's pumpkin. there's also a woodiness that comes out as it ages (and this scent lasts a LONG time - my first time trying it, after countless handwashes, a shower, a bath, and 18 hours, it was still faintly there), when it's woods and spices.

i adore this scent very, very much. it's warm and a celebration of autumn and spicy and just fabulous. :P thanks to the lab for giving me such a fabulous scent, and to Puddin for letting me know its name :D

Oh my, this is truly, truly gorgeous!

Upon first application: On me, it's overwhelming vanilla, with just a hint of spices...a little cinnamon and a little clove. And call me crazy, in that very few first seconds I get just a hint of (dare I say it) civet. Or something animal-y. But it's gone immediately. I've tried it two or three times and every time there's that animal flash at the begining.

After a few minutes: It's still very much the same, very vanilla-sweet and slightly spicy, but I think I'm getting a slight bit of pumpkin. (Or else I'm just assuming there's pumpkin there, because of the name). But I think that I sense something that smells like buttery eucalyptus, which is how pupmkin smells on me. It's really light though.

I'm afraid I'm not doing this justice, because it is really terribly, terribly yummy. Oh, how I hope that it is more readily available in the future! :P

Oh my. This is really, really nice. It's the foody side of Autumn, very creamy and lovely. It smells like pumpkin cheesecake in the vial, rich and smooth without being overly buttery. It even has a bit of a boozy note to it. On, it's very spicy over the creamy base-- I smell cinnamon and other pumpkin pie spices. Cardamom and ginger, maybe.

Wow.

Thanks so much to Belladonnastrap for the decanted imp. This one will be treasured.

Pumpkin King for me is more of an autumn scent then Samhain is. While the note of leaves is still there the mix of butter drenched pumpkin with a sprinkle of cinnamon almost makes the leafy scent non existant. It pops up only waaay after the scent is dried on me, to ground it and make it less foody and more rich.

The base is still very very creamy, its a much more subdued version of Harvest Moon, maybe an autumn version of Gluttony. Absolutely delish...if you like the autumn notes of Samhain and love Harvest Moon but wished it wasn't quite so buttery this is the one to hunt down. It takes the best of both and meshes them together into a yummy pumpkin goodness.

And I just remembered that sihaya09 said that this smelt like Pumpkin Cheesecake and you know, she's absolutely right.

Initial Impression:

Yummy pumpkin pie!

After Wearing It:

Wet this smelled just like pumpkin pie on me. Sweet, well spiced pumpkin scent with something in it that even made me think I could smell a crust. Very golden and smooth. Delicious!

After an hour the pumpkin note all but disappeared on me and the spices in the blend overpowered just about everything else in the oil. I could smell pepper, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, probably nutmeg, and gods know what else. Just so many lovely warm spices with a pale sugary note at the core. Smells a lot like chai on me, which made me ecstatic. This is exactly what I wanted Three Witches to smell like! Very, very nice!

Final Thoughts:

I love spicy scents and this is the best one I've found so far. I will cherish my bottle.

The first installment in the saga of the Travels of the Pumpkin King:

It’s orange! How perfect! I don’t remember ever seeing a Lab oil that was seriously orange before… green, red and yellow, yes, but no orange. Love it. :P

First sniff: Oh, very interesting. I expected Pumpkin King to be a playful scent – both because of the image the name conjures and because Jack is so much fun – but this guy is staid and serious. Straight pumpkin pie spice, quiet and very slightly dark. Heavy on the nutmeg.

Wearing: It sweetens on my skin immediately, but it’s a sweetness of spice rather than the caramel-sweet of Jack. The aura is beautifully subtle, a candle-warmth that hangs close to my skin.

Thanks for the opportunity to try this, QS. :D

Pumpkin King travels vol. 2

In the bottle: Cider, cloves as well as something thick and buttery like cream. Cinnamon and, yes, apples. In the background yummy fall apples baked in the oven with cinnamon and sugar and butter. No real pumpkin scent to this, though.

Wet: Oh, that smells good. Apples and spices again. The cloves and the cinnamon, but the apple smell really comes out to the front of this blend. It's really just gorgeous. Baked warm apples with dripping sugar butter. But, at the same time, there's the scent of cinnamon sticks or something that remains me of wreaths made from twigs. Um, this is a very seasonal kind of blend, but is quite nice overall.

Dry down: More cinnamon sticks than anything else. Cinnamon and cloves with my precious apple faded into the background. I still don't smell any pumpkin but maybe my skin has decided to ea it all up. Yum yum. Although it does have a head apple cider smell to it. The kind my college roommate used to make. This is a very warm scent that reminds me of raking leaves and baking apples.

Dry: This is almost pure cinnamon and clove on me with a ncie background of sugary apples to it. And now that I'm looking at the other reviews, yes, there is nutmeg in there as well. This is the kind of scent I love to smell, but don't want to smell like. I'm so glad i got the chance to try it out.

I was lucky enough to get to try Pumpkin King at Quantum Spice's house the other night, and it's absolutely divine.

In the Bottle: I smell pumpkin, unsurprisingly, and a sort of indistinct blend of spices.

Wet: This is very, very cinnamony. I can smell a teeny bit of pumpkin in the background, but the cinnamon is most definately dominant.

Dry: The cinnamon mellows out, and I can smell pumpkin again, along with a few other spices. There's clove, and after comparing the back of my hand with the contents of Quantum Spice's spice cabinet, I smelled something like nutmeg and maybe ginger as well. I didn't smell any of the apples that others have smelled.

Impressions: This is one of the most fantastic blends I've ever smelled. I really wanted to never have to wash my hand again, so that I'd always smell like Pumpkin King. I so hope this becomes available for sale, because I need a bottle of it. A really big one. Okay, several really big ones.

Edited by Imbrium

I was lucky and got to try this on at QuantumSpice's house.

OH YE GODS. I am in love.

I had to keep sniffing it all evening, just to make sure I wasn't dreaming.

In the bottle, it was so warm/creamy/spicy perfect. I agree with the pumpkin cheesecake comment above, it's so creamy and heavenly. I didn't notice much pumpkin in the bottle, and I didn't get any apple at all, but there was a hint of something fruity there as well.

It goes through a phase while drying where the pumpkin/creamy scent really comes to the front, but the spices are still there, hanging out in the back, waiting for their turn again.

Once dry, it's amazing. The spice warm and come through more than they did in the bottle, yet it still has that sweet pumpkin flesh scent there. It smells like you've just baked a chunk of pumpkin in the oven, soaked in all sorts of wonderful spices.

It's loooong lasting, too! I woke up the next moring and could still smell the last traces of this.

Oh please oh please oh please let this be released. If I had the chance, I'd buy a 10ml today. I'd buy a vat, had I the chance!

this is pretty but NOT my favorite pumpkin scent. It's a rich, spicy pumpkin, but there's something dark, incensy and animal lurking in the bakground that ruins it for me. It's like when a pumpkin first starts rotting but you don't notice it yet. Lovely image, eh?

First, I'd like to thank quantum spice for letting me try this in the Travels of the Pumpkin King circular swap. :D

Second, I'm starting to think my nose is malfunctioning! Either that or my body chemistry is really whacked! (which, incidentally, I have suspected before!)

I am not getting ANY creaminess, or pumpkin goodness. Or mulled cider. :P

At first, I get something dark and incensey. Then it changes, and it gets spicy like Chai. Then the two elements blend, and the final product ends up smelling like Chai mixed with BPAL's Scarecrow. As with Scarecrow, I think this would smell great on a man!

Testing Pumpkin King as part of the circular swap...

In the vial, it's very mellow spices and fruits, with a touch of something woodsy and dark.

On me, it's all patchouli and spice, with a hint of waxy pumpkin and apple. It's pleasant enough from afar, but when I get my nose up close to my hand, I start gagging a bit.

I had high hopes for Pumpkin King, but alas, it's turning out to be something I can't stand. :P

Another *Thank you* to quantum spice for trading with me to get to try out Pumpkin King. At first when I put it on, I can smell pumkin, a very nice patchouli and some kind of mint. Yes a mint, its not prominant but its making me wonder, *Is* there mint in this(pine maybe)? Its spicy, its not as obtrusive as Samhain and not nearly as buttery as Jack. It is pleasing, maybe there is some clove in this as well. Its as if Yuletide and Samhain had a child and its name is Pumpkin King.

:P

ETA

Ah now after an hour I can smell the animal in this, its giving me a bit of a headache. Ah it started out well!

Edited by Nadirah

Tee Pumpkin King is a lovely muted fall scent. It's much more subdude than Samhain or Jack but still the very essence of a quiet autumn evening.

In the vial theres a mixture of woodsy and sweet - not sugary sweet but rather more apple cider sweet. Once on the dry leafy wood scent mingles with the apple cider and there's a little hint of spice underneath. I'm not getting much more than a hint of pumpkin. After a few hours the scent has shifted slightly and it almost reminds me of an elegant men's cologne of sorts but not in an overbearing perfumy way. This is very very nice and I do hope that Beth decides to release this soon :P

Edited by miss apple

at first: spicy, with an undercurrent of pumpkin.

on: cinnamon. that's it. i was going to slather this on, but the cinnamon scared me, so i only put a little on.

1 hour later: a bit sweeter now. almost perfumy. i'm finally smelling pumpking, and the spice smells more like nutmeg than cinnamon.

3 hours later: smoothy. definitely pumpkin-y, but with some spice, too. nice.

7 hours later: just barely there. vaguely pumpkin-y and spicy.

overall: this will be nice when i'm craving something with pumpkin in it, but i can't imagine myself wearing it very often.

oohhh when will this be available???? please beth please

wet apple cider, sweet, cinnamony apple cider

as it dried it became the perfect pumkin pie, warm, sweet pumpkin pie spices and pumpkin, i can almost taste the crust. :P

OMG yum.

In the bottle : spicy cidery pumpkiny - like I'm having a slice of pumpkin pie and apple cider.

On me: Wow the pumpkin is the strong note on my skin, like a warm gooey slice of pumpkin pie... This is true autumn.. As it dries, it becomes more cinnamony - This is pure heaven and I wish that I could just smell it .. like, forever. I need a gallon bottle of this now. :P

The continuing travels of the Pumpkin King!

In the imp: Pumpkin. (I realize that's an incredibly "duh" statement!)

Wet: The pumpkin turns buttery and creamy in this stage. It's gorgeous.

Drydown: It's that gorgeous buttery pumpkin mixed with spices!

Final thoughts: *dies* I absolutely love this! This is autumn in a bottle. I really like it much more than Samhain. I realize the chances are slim but I so wish this would come out as a general release in some way or form. I'm so very glad I got the chance to try this.

My turn! This scent was sadly nowhere near as delightful on me as I had expected.

Wet: dry, musty spices.

Dry: dry, musty spices. Smells like the inside of a spice cabinet around Thanksgiving. I get no pumpkin from this at all

Dry, 30 minutes later: this has become distinctly masculine. It smells like a spicy, musky man's cologne. Smells like a surprisingly mainstream man's cologne, actually. I would jump a guy who was wearing this, but alas, it's not for me.

Guess it's a good thing that I didn't fall in love with an unreleased scent, though :P.

Origin:

The Pumpkin King circular swap! Thanks, QS! :P

First sniff:

Mmm, this is what I wanted from Jack. Whereas Jack makes me a little queasy for some reason and smells a little funny (and not like pumpkin, really), Pumpkin King smells like...pumpkin and lacks all of Jack's stomach-turning properties. This is soft, mellow pumpkin with a hint of spice. I really like this. Beautifully autumnal.

Wet on skin:

Now that is bizarre...when I put it on, Pumpkin King morphs into...Scarecrow! That is too bizarre for words. There's no pumpkin, no spice, just slightly scorched smelling straw/corn stalks. This is dead-on identical to Scarecrow on me at this point, which makes me wonder if they share a common ingredient that's getting thrown out of whack by my skin chemistry since Scarecrow is turning nasty on my skin lately in the same way that Pumpkin King is. :D

Dry down:

The pumpkin's slowly making a minor comeback after masquerading as Scarecrow, but the scorched straw smell is still there in the background. In a way, it's a good thing this went crazy on me...at least this way I won't be lusting after it anymore. :D

The bottom line:

Lovely in the imp but a disaster on my skin. I'd say this was a blessing in disguise. :D

Pumpkin King:

I have to agree with Penance: this is what I expected Jack to smell like. Jack is much stronger and much more of a Butter-Rum scent than Pumpkin King is. Pumpkin King reminds me of baking pumpkin bread loaves in my grandmother's kitchen. It's spicy and warm and makes me think of autumn.

Please, oh please, Beth.. release this one. :P

I really thought I'd like Pumpkin King ... it has so many rave reviews, and the notes sound so good!

Pumpkin King didn't work on my skin, though. First on, it was a beautiful combination of Samhain, The Hesperides, and Jack, and I was about to start slathering it on when it did a funny little morph. In just a few seconds, it became very sharp and cloying, and that sharpness was like Samhain's edge being amped up past the point of wearability.

Unfortunately, the sharpness didn't fade on me. Whatever caused it, my skin grabbed hold of the note and ran with it. My three-and-a-half year old even mentioned that I smelled like the lawnmower (which gets a bitter, charred smell after prolonged use - I'm guessing that's what she meant, since we'd used it the day before and talked about the scent).

With any luck, your skin will treat Pumpkin King better than mine did. It was beautiful in the vial, and those first few seconds were divine.

I snagged myself a bottle of this at C11, and I'm glad I did. :P

In the bottle: Butter spice with a hint of pumpkin

First on: Mmm...Spicy! Clove, cinnamon, maybe some nutmeg? With a hint of that buttery smell, but mostly spice & pumpkin. Like the others have said, very much like a fresh pumpkin pie.

Drydown: Unlike everyone else, this seems to go back to being more pumpkin-y on me than spicy. After a few hours it's faded away completely. Not one to wear for all day, it would be a great one for a few hour long event, or somewhere I can realize I need to reapply it.

Holy squee of squees!!!

I recently got an imp of this from one of the other mods, and I am very glad I did... it turns out that my one mystery bottle that I could have sworn was Gingerbread Poppet (although having never tried GP, this was solely a guess based on notes I detected in the bottle I have) is indeed Pumpkin King!

*SQUEE*

On me, its all apples and spice and amazingly the cinnamon isn't bothering me (how very rare is an blend with cinnamon that doesn't produce insane redness on my skin). It's a very Autumnal scent, perfect for those chilly days with leaves fluttering through the air and the wood stove burning for the first time.

Why did I take this long to identify this scent? I *love* it and will be wearing it constantly this upcoming fall. :P