Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

“The Overlight, we called it.
and it is by its colored rays that you will
know your power, oh Skyborn child.”

An otherworldly, iridescent shine, casked on-site at the Manifold Elixarium: opalescent lavenderine, sheer white musk, wild bergamot, iris, and white amber drifting on a pale cloud of Hearthwood Ash.

As soon as we got to the Lab's booth at DragonCon, my BFF Donna (ivyandpeony) promptly dabbed my hand with the tester of this scent. WOWZA! This is going to be one sought after scent. I suggest getting two.

It starts of with that lovely whiff of lavender. It's not sharp, soapy, or overly floral, just airy and comforting. Then the sheer musk takes flight, but held by a gossamer tether to the white resin and wood. A delicate floral perfume peeks out ever so gently as to keep you coming back for more. This is a scent to love and hoard.

If you a lover or Ava, the Girl, and Lilith's Flowers, Butterflies, and Jewels Attending, you will adore this. It's not a copycat, Skyborn definitely has its own personality. I want to smell this on everyone. It's so youthful and hopeful.

It's like on the site at time of this review. Go get it!

https://blackphoenixalchemylab.com/shop/collaborations/skyborn/

In the decant: I smell the lavender, musk, bergamot, and iris. I was going to leap for a bottle of this, but I thought I better make sure the iris plays nicely first.

Wet: The opalescent lavender and musk are the most prominent notes, followed by the bergamot. The iris is present but seems to be behaving at the moment. This is a bright scent, and I agree it is in the same scent family as scents like Butterflies, Flowers, and Jewels Attending. It has that classy perfume feel to it. The white amber and ash emerge as the scent begins to dry.

Dry: It remains that way for a while, but the iris just seems to be getting stronger on me over time. It’s somewhat powdery on me, but not overwhelmingly so, and since I am not getting tons of Dr. Pepper from this, I do not believe it is the Florentine variety.

Eventually, this becomes a musky, powdery iris party on me, with hints of bergamot, white amber, and ash in the background.

Me right now:

6CZl.gif

Verdict: I really enjoyed the wet phase of this, but alas, my skin is running away with the iris note. I am not willing to give up on this yet. I am going to have to try this one in a scent locket.

Lavender, amber, woods, white musk. This smells sheer, pretty and like lavender.... and after 45 minutes my skin has eaten this up and now I can't smell a damn thing.

this starts off with lavender and reminds me of something SO familiar that i cannot place. i think it's the combination of lavender and white amber which is just delicious. i get some white musk and a hint of iris as well. this is such a pretty lavender cloud, very calming and soothing. may have to try as a a sleep/meditation scent.

Lavender, musk, and a touch of citrus. One of my bottle risks that paid off.  Lovely now, but I think it needs some time to mesh a bit.

I was so sure Skyborn was going to be perfect, that I almost bought a bottle blind... and now I'm SO glad I didn't. 

I was expecting a light, pretty, and girly scent.  Instead, this goes gender neutral on me, with a topnote combo that strongly reminds me of Calvin Klein's CK One. 

Edited by rawgirl75

Wet: Soft, musky, perfumey. Slightly powdery. It opens with prominent lavender but seconds later it melds with the musk. This is very light, somewhat clean. "Sheer" is a good overall descriptor. Totally wearable. I would think this would be appropriate anywhere.

Dry: The lavender fades mostly away, and this becomes a gentle, glittery musk scent. Really soft and feminine and pretty. I quite like it.

Reviewing a hand labeled tester from 2018:

Strongly echoing doomsdaydisco's notes. Amber, iris, maybe some benzoin. Soft, dry, medium bright. Feminine, elegant, vaguely baby powder-ish but not distractingly so. Strong resemblance/dupe to prada's infusion d'iris. No sweetness or fruitiness.

This reminds me very much of the beloved Nivea scent that most of their standard products smell like -- and I love it!

It is very feminine, neutral and cozy. A non-aquatic, creamy and floral laundry detergent scent.

On me, the white musk and white amber play central parts. The bergamot and lavener work as a soft backdrop.

This is uper elegant and non-perfumey in a very subtle and feminine way.