Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
sprout

Pater Populi

The foundation of a stable and just society, the keeper of tradition, the enforcer of laws: bay leaf and olive blossom with ambrette seed, white oakmoss, petitgrain, lavender, cedar, and leather.

I really like this one, it's probably a full bottle upgrade and a surprise winner. From the notes list, there's plenty going on but it's all copacetic.

To start, mostly herbal, lavender and petitgrain. Maybe a hint of osmanthus sweetening the whole. Hard to say really as I rarely see petigrain showcased in a scent especially with these basenotes.

Early dry phase I'm less fond of because the oakmoss is a little high pitched but the bay and maybe the cedar prevent it from taking over.

Drydown this is rich and on the manly side of unisex, but just a bit. Bay, leather and cedar form a nice thrumming heart with a hint left of the lavender. This is almost seamless, certainly well balanced, being neither sweet nor floral not resinous per se but with nuance from all those scent categories. I'd say the leather holds it's own but the lavender, bay and petigrain add a warm roundness and citrine golden quality. There's no osmanthus at the dry down but I'm okay with that.

The juxtaposition of the leather with the petitgrain and lavender works better than I would have hoped. I didn't tease out the ambrette but it is probably tying this together and adding a golden warmth and sweetness. The ambrette and leather create a superbase as the leather almost never lasts like this for me, my skin eats it. Another blend where this combination works is Mythological Scene with Warrior Mansion and Classic Ladies...

Well, this is difficult to describe but all the notes are present, well blended, and beautiful. This is up there with Spanked and Perversion for me, but I love the leather. Love how this never goes sharp, cologne like, or powdery. Definitely unique in a large catalog of scents.

Lavender, bay, cedar and leather. This one is again a sort of unisex blend, and the leather is present but not overwhelming. I tend to love bay blends so this is no exception. Good throw and wear length.

Pater Populi was a well-balanced Mediterranean blend.

Bay and lavender were strongest on my skin, but still smoothly blended into the other notes. I also caught olive blossom and cedar, somewhat, but the background was just very nuanced and complex. I didn't notice it changing much through its stages.

Recommended for a Mediterranean mood, especially for bay.

ugh I love this so much, but I'm at a loss as to how what I smell can be translated into words. it's smooooooth. it's all about the blend, everything working together in a way that individual notes don't really stand out.

what casablanca says rings wise and true: mediterranean blend. smooth and regal and stately, with a benevolent authority. muted lavender with bay and petitgrain swirl only slightly above the other notes. the leather is muted, smooth. the oakmoss isn't dry or dusty, the ambrette not suggestively musky, the cedar not amping on my like it usually do. everything is collaborating and cooperating in totaly harmony from first application to final fade out hours later.

while I had hoped to like this, I didn't expect it fall for it as hard as I do. I enjoy wearing it. calming yet energizing. classy and confident. neither specifically masculine nor feminine but rather perfectly complimentary to whatever vibe the wearer needs it to be.