Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The aspirations of man, both in the material and spiritual worlds: clove, birch tar, red ginger root, and frankincense.

I guess I'm up first!

In the bottle: GINGER - antiseptic and tbh smells like the adhesive on really strong stickers if that makes sense?

Fresh on the skin: still lots of ginger, with a bit of powdery frankincense. There's something gooey in the background - I think that's the clove; it's gentle. Could be the birch tar, but i don't know what that smells like so don't take my word for it. Overall it gives the impression of something just starting to catch fire, something smoldering but still cold (edit - this goes away :cry2: )

Dry: This is definitely a familiar scent, almost like Christmas, but early Christmas when you're opening up all the boxes of decorations - it's the smell trapped in the box from last year's holiday cookies. This is much much gentler and more tame than i expected for something called "The Fiery Mountains". I wanted something a little more exciting. Almost plasticy, borderline mainstream, reminds me of a Yankee Candle (not in a bad way, it just has that kind of uniformity. Does smell a bit like a lit unscented candle). One could definitely get away with this an everyday scent.

I'm hoping this ages well and warms up - I'll revisit it in a few months

Edited by monocainesheresy

To me, both wet and on dry down, this smells exactly like the fancy potpourri that lived on my grandmother's coffee table for many years. It also contained frankincense, clove, and wood, so it makes sense! Not really what i was expecting from The Fiery Mountains, but I can see it being a comforting and warm blend for around winter time.

Clove, ginger, and frankincense. If you love clove, this one is an interesting one with the frankincense and ginger in it. Low throw, good wear length.

Wet: Lots of red ginger, and some well-blended clove. I never pick out birch tar, only an indistinct background at this point.

Dry: A quieter gingery clove blend. A soft frankincense emerges to join them.

If I hunt for it, I can find a little dark smokiness from the birch tar, but it's barely showing. I have a bottle of birch tar and it's intense, but in this blend, it's almost not there.

This settles into a mild, spiced frankincense blend.

IN THE IMP: Wow!!! The gorgeous clove is the prevalent note but it’s not “in your face.” It blends beautifully with the frankincense as a smooth, strong, glorious mix.

WET: The clove amps so much the second it hits my skin that I don’t even need to move for it to float right to my nose, but the harmony of the frankincense is right behind it. Not getting any perceptible ginger. It has a very clean air to it, ever-so-slightly soapy but a soap I would definitely buy in a heartbeat.

DRY: Spicy clean soap. A very delicious scent.

RESULT: Unlike Z_Z found, this scent, on me at least, has an absolutely boatload of throw – as much throw as any scent I’ve tried – and it lasts forever. I would recommend to use VERY sparingly as a little goes a long way … a really GOOD way but a long way!

In the imp - sweet, cozy clove/ginger. The birch tar makes it lean closer to a masculine spice scent than a fall kitchen gourmand. I can already tell this is going to go "Halloween/fall section at Michaels" on me, though.

Wet/freshly applied - clove-heavy masculine spice (birch tar is the best cozy manly skin note, hands down). In my hair, the birch tar and frankincense are stronger and it's less of a clove-fest. So far, my skin is not reacting to the spice notes.

Half-hour in - cozy clove SN (and still no skin reactions to the spice). This is probably great on people who don't amp clove, but I do, so yeah. That said, it's a subdued, cozy clove rather than "Hi, I dumped the entire spice rack on my arm." I suspect this would be really nice on a guy.