Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Dark Alice

The Emperor’s Throne

He is seated upon the throne whose capitals are the heads of the Himalayan wild ram, since Aries means a Ram. At his feet, couchant, is the Lamb and the Flag, to confirm this attribution on the lower plane; for the ram, by nature, is a wild and courageous animal, lonely in lonely places, whereas when tamed and made to lie down in green pastures, nothing is left but the docile, cowardly, gregarious and succulent beast.

– Aleister Crowley, Book of Thoth

Tobacco leaf, stone-grey ambergris, cistus, benzoin, and Himalayan cedar.

A cedar that actually works on me! HOT DAMN! :joy: The cedar with the grey ambergis and benzoin make this beautiful. I am tempted to get this for myself, however I wonder if my BIL would like it too. This is a very unisex scent. I love it!

I can never pass up the combo of tobacco and ambergris. I love the combo of benzoin and cedar as well.

Wet: Mmmm. Yes. Lots of cedar initially, smoothed by the tobacco and musky ambergris. Rich sweetness from the benzoin. Good, but I can tell it needs some aging to be really glorious.

Dry: I think this needs some age before I make any kind of determination. Currently it just smells faintly like sweet cedar - pleasant, but none of the glorious tobacco and ambergris I know it could be.

The Emperor's Throne is lovely but really quiet on me. The cedar and ambergris are the most prominent notes when wet. Usually tobacco leaf can be kind of screechy on me; here it's subdued, but so are the cedar and ambergris. In drydown they all meld together with the benzoin, and it really smells good if I put my nose right up to my wrist, but I feel like my skin is muting this. I'm going to age the imp a couple of months but if it doesn't develop any more oomph on me, I will let someone else try it.

When I sniff this I think, "tonka?" Then, looking at the notes, I'm trying to puzzle through what's giving me that vibe. I think it's the tobacco, benzoin, and cedar. The tobacco is dry and kind of light brown, sweetened by the benzoin, and the cedar is there providing a woody base (not overtly woody, but a grounding sweetness). This is the like The Cat - dark musk + dry tobacco. I don't get much ambergris, it's kind of in there hanging around with the benzoin, or any costus.