Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
SadariEvenstar

Fuck This Heat

What global warming? Slivers of ice to cool things down, lavender and hops flower to soothe the nerves.

Proceeds benefit getting the goddamn AC fixed in the front parlor at BPAL so Teddy and Claire dont sweat to death and we dont roast people alive at Lunacy.

Literally everything I never knew I needed in a hot weather perfume. Cold, minty ice, herbal lavender that doesn't go to soap, and a gentle hoppiness. I love it and I'm going to need backups.

Lovely lavender.

This herbal and slightly green lavender combined with hops reminds me of Lilith's hair gloss, with cool white mint instead of the powdery white musk. The two would pair well.

On my skin, this blend is a lavender-hops combo at first.

As it dries, the lavender finishes its top-note cavorting and wanders off. The mint mostly takes over.

Dried, this becomes a minty hops blend. The mint is soft white peppermint, like an after-dinner mint without the candy. The hops are herbal and seem to carry their own bit of sweetness and wood.

It starts out minty, and smells kinda single note. After drying down, I didn't really know what to expect with the hops flower. But it ends smelling like a sweet powder on me. With the mint calming down, and lavender making it smell clean, it's like this sweet body powder my grandma used to have in her bathroom. I pretty much associate this with sweet, clean grandma. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I can see this being a really good atmo for bedtime. Or, a clean summery scent for someone who doesn't amp the hops.

Minty lavender with whiffs of something powdery and almost like a violet note to it. It's a very cool, breezy lavender. Medium throw and wear length.

In the bottle: Cool herbal lavender and an unexpected citrus note… bergamot, is that you?

Wet: Yes, there is definitely a citrus component to this… I’m not sure if it is in the ice note or the hops flower (but the internet says that can be citrus-y) , but it ends up being pretty strong on me, along with the lavender. There’s a cool, light mint note coming from the ice, and a bit of bitterness from what I’m guessing is the hops flower.

Dry: I am still getting that citrus vibe from this, but it is not as strong as it was before (at least, not on my wrists -- it’s still very present in the crook of my elbows). This is a soft, cool, herbal scent on my wrists. In the crooks of my elbows, it is very green and citrus-y.

Verdict: If you’re a fan of BPAL’s Anesthesia, then you'll probably like this one, too, although this isn’t nearly as minty. This is a refreshing scent that I think could be used during the day or as a sleep scent. I will happily use up my bottle, but I won’t be needing a back-up.

Wet: Lavender and mint - not as strong a mint as Anesthesia. More lavender dominant but still cool and icy. There's something a bit lemony in there as well. It's nice, soothing, refreshing. A good summer bedtime scent for me, I think. My lips are cool and tingly where I accidentally brushed them across the oil I am sniffing in the crook of my elbow.

Dry: Really fresh and cool and lovely. Soft mint, lemon (or some clean citrus) and lavender. This will be added to my bedtime rotation. Happy to have contributed to the Labbies' AC fund!

Lavender and mint is one of my favorite scent combinations. During the hot, humid summer it's my go-to for feeling refreshed and cool.

In the imp: lavender, mint, and something a little floral/spicy/bitter

wet: sweet mint, a little fresh herbaliness, and a little floral spiciness. This smells like Lush's Dirty springwash.

drying down - minty minty mint mint, but sweet spearmint, not harsh peppermint, and a little bit of green sweet herbal

final: sweet, slightly soapy herbal mint

I'm getting vibes of BPTP's A Fling in the Lagoon bath oil, one of my faves. Wet, I get lavender and lime. As it dries, I get mint and lime with a hint of lavender, maybe a splash of appletini.

In the imp: Lavender, hops, and something cooling.

Short term: Soft mint on top, then lavender and hops under. It's a glorious minty-herbal and I kinda want to lean into it.

Long term: I found the hops to come a bit more to the forefront long term, but the mint and lavender hold their own. It's very cooling and relaxing, and I have a full size bottle sitting in my cart for when I get around to placing my next order (probably when the Weenies come out...). I'd call this very unisex, and while it'd be good for sleep, I think anyone could enjoy it in the summer or hotter weather to take the edge off.

Ngl this smells like literal air conditioning - like air vents when you turn on the AC for the first time after the cold months, plus clean laundry.

Edit: This can be duped with Ode On Melancholy, which I personally prefer.

Edited by monocainesheresy

IN THE IMP: Interesting but not what I expected (then again, not really sure what I DID expect!). I don’t get lavender as the primary note nor, really, much at all. I get something that may be aquatic/ozone, obviously “ice.” I’m not sure I could identify hops as anything other than a beer scent and I don’t get that either.

WET: While I am absolutely not saying this scent is “off,” there is something “off” TO ME about how it smells on me. My nose immediately goes into BK-type scrunch. It’s complex and unrecognizable and sort of sour to me.

DRY: On initial drydown, it’s relatively inoffensive. Sort of cactus or desert scent. Then, on final drydown I recognize what I think I’m smelling even though it’s not listed in the notes – TEA! And while tea is a very popular BPAL note (hello, Dorian) it is an absolute death note on me. I am so sad I never got ANY lavender from this (other people seemed to) since it’s one of my favorite notes and what sold me on ordering it. Ah well.

RESULT: People will love this. I’m not one of them. It’s officially going to the magical bag of items I’ll be putting up for sale in one swell foop after I’ve tried ALL of my incomings. But glad to have contributed in a small way to the Lab's AC!!!

Lovely white musk and lavender. Something here is making me really sleepy here, and normally lavender doesn't do it for me in the sleep department, so I'm thinking it may be the hops.  I love this, and will seek out a bottle asap.  Fresh and relaxing at the same time.

This is really pleasant and calming.  Cool mint and maybe a touch of eucalyptus with the lavender.  Reminds me of a gentler Anesthesia.  Herbal and soft, this would be a nice meditation or sleep blend.  

This does exactly what it says on the tin. I was expecting mint for some reason, so I got confused trying to find it - it’s not there! It’s not supposed to be there!

The lavender is fresh & herbal but not screechy. The hops are true to life: gentle, cream-colored, and sleepy. The “sliver of ice” is silver-toned, menthol-adjacent, and NOT the Lab’s snow note. 

This is a perfume to wear for the reasons stated in the description. It’s an “I just walked out of a spa” smell.

Much like Estamets above me, I thought this had mint or eucalyptus. I was hesitant about buying it for that reason but the lava label (2023 version?) was awesome (plus good cause). 

In the bottle, it’s like a high end spa or in lotion real fancy resorts. I didn’t really get any individual notes, which I love when a BPAL stumps me & blends so seamless, but more a general sense of calm & cool. 

Wet: The lavender is threatening to go dryer sheet, but it’s not done it yet. The little “sliver of ice” is not quite camphor, but not quite not. It’s actually pleasant. That perfect balance. I have high hope for this aging/settling more. I have a notion it’ll be a fantastic sleep scent.