Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
givesgoodemail

Dragon's Eye - Resurrected

These long-dead scents are back for a limited time in a slightly tweaked form!

A piercing, radiant perfume: dragon's blood resin, lily of the valley, lilac and galbanum.

Dragon's Eye! First!

In the bottle: the dragon's blood and lily are fighting each other -- pretty much an even match so far.

Wet on the skin: the lily wins! Very strong, heavy floral. The dragon's blood is down hard for the count. No sign of the other notes.

Drydown: the dragon's blood opens an eye and reminds me that it is still there.

The florals are surprisingly strong, considering my body's habit of ramping dragon's blood way up. Not my favorite because of the strong lily.

I haven't tried the original, but had my 'eye' on it because of the lilac, so I was very excited to see it included in the resurrection!

Unfortunately the lily of the valley dominates on me, much like on the previous reviewer. It's primarily lily, then some dragon's blood, and then a hint of galbanum. The lilac is nowhere to be found. I mean, at least it's not like most of the other Ars Draconis blends where I get nothing but dragon's blood... but it's still not what I was hoping for.

It's definitely piercing though! If I hadn't already taken my migraine medication for an unrelated reason, I'm sure I would need it now. The lily is THAT aggressive.

I think I have tried the original and wasn't too enthused, but my tastes have changed, so I wanted to give it another go.

Wet: Wow, lots of lilac. I love lilac. The lily begins to come through - lily is never great on me, but rounded out by the lilac and floral DB that's beginning to come through, this isn't terrible and never delves into typical lily "wet cardboard" territory. Still, there's something faintly "off" in this on me.

Dry: This dries down to a lovely soft floral DB and lilac scent - but the undertone of "funky" lily prevents me from really loving it. I imagine if you don't have skin chem that causes lily to go wonky, this would be a stunning, unusual floral scent. Sadly I just can't pull it off, but I will keep my imp for sentimental value!

Imp fresh from the Lab.

In the imp: Strong florals with a mildly sharp green note (the galbanum, no doubt)

On me, wet: Very strong, realistic, florals. I'm swooning. This is exactly the kind of perfume I adore. The green galbanum is there, but stays slightly to the background.

At 5 minutes: The fragrance is the same, but has settled down a bit. I can't tell the difference between lilac and lily of the valley, so I don't know which one I'm smelling. Maybe both. (Hey, I'm from Phoenix, what do I know? All those gorgeous flowers that everyone else in the northern hemisphere have in their gardens don't grow in the desert heat. Maybe that's why I love floral perfumes so much - scents that I missed out on most of my life!)

At 10 minutes: All fresh flowers with their green stems.

At 15 minutes: It's a soap scent, but doesn't smell soapy. I mean, a scent that is commonly used in fine soaps. Softer now, about what you'd expect in a freshly applied perfume. No longer super strong. So beautiful!

At 45 minutes: I feel Ike I've been walking around in a cloud of beauty. Even my clothes smell heavenly. The scent on my wrist has continued to lighten up. It's still all florals in the throw and at first, but if I continue sniffing right up close, there's something else too now. Probably the dragon's blood. Or maybe the drydown of the galbanum. It's difficult to separate it out from the flowers.

At 1 hour: No change. This oil makes me so happy! Like leisurely and meditatively exploring an amazing garden.

At 2 hours: The throw is still very floral, but less so on my wrist. There, notes of incense and resin are now full participants together with the flowers.

At 3 hours: Back to all flowers.

15 hours later, I can still smell it faintly on my wrist, still the same scent.

Verdict: Dragon's Eye stays pretty consistent. The changes I've mentioned are subtle ones. The only significant change is in the strength.

As for my rating, this one's a no-brainer. 6 out of 6 stars.

Edited by Ghost of a Rose

The lab's dragon's blood note tends to work well on me, it's sweetly spicy and resinous. That makes up the base here, definitely noticeable and identifiable. The galbanum is there adding more layers to the resin and a slightly sharper more herbal resinous note. I don't think that I'd like the galbanum note much alone, but as a supporter to the Dragon's blood in the resinous backdrop, it brightens and sharpens the scent in a pleasant way.

Growing fresh and sweet and in full bloom atop the resins are an entire lilac bush and sweet freshly bloomed lily of the valley. This is definitely the scent of the whole plant for both, not just the flower. The greenery blends well with that herbal resinous element of the galbanum, and the two flowers play very nicely together on my skin.

The scent is very true to its notes, and I'm very pleased with it.