Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  

One of the Alkyonides, the seven daughters of Alcyoneus.

Blueberry and tangerine for the bright plumage of the kingfisher, limned with frozen flower petals.

I have to say, this is just what I hoped it would be light! Fresh light and frozen come to mind. I don't know why but I thought of Skadi when I smelled it. Sometimes Lunacies are too aquatic or ozone-y for me, so I don't buy them often anymore, but not this one. The fruits are strong and realistic (the blueberry is great not synthetic) wet, though I don't smell tangerine alone, then it morphs into cold frozen, sweet musky petals on me. I like it better first applied, but it's def. a keeper. Edited by violetblue

Oh, my, Anthe is a lovely little thing. It is not what I expected given the description, but I think it’s actually *better* than I expected! First off, I smell a note like mallow. It reminded me of that creamy base from The Hierophant and the Empress, which I adore. Then that blueberry, oh man! It’s not fruity to me, much more like the blueberry musk that I loved in Jinbari Nyûdô Bobo Dokisu. There’s no identifiable tangerine; though I do get a bright top note of zest, I believe I am *thinking* that rather than actually smelling it.

Anthe sticks close to the skin, but I think that’s a good thing; more throw would make it overwhelming and somewhat less special. Lasting power is great on me.

Overall: Love love love!

Wet: Frostbitten fruity flowers. Yes yes yes.

Dry: Cold flowers. The drydown isn't what I would describe as fruity, but it's definitely sweet-smelling.

For someone who's not a huge floral fan, I think this is quite nice! The fruit seems to keep it from going into soapy-flower territory.

Edited by donkehpoo

Blueberries and sugary florals. Oh man, this is not what I expected at all. This smells like blueberries, a hint of citrus, and snowy florals. GUH. So good.

Right as I applied this I got strong blueberries and oranges, smelled like a smoothie.

The orange went away super quickly, leaving blueberries as the star of the show, with the florals in the background making the scent more mature. On me it's not fresh blueberries, someone else described it as a blueberry musk and that's exactly on the nose for me. It's a lovely and unique scent.

Wet: Fruit and frost and dust. Some sort of sweet floral. Very interesting. The frost is somewhat piney to my nose.

Dry: Once this settles the hint of pine totally disappears and this is chilly berry floral goodness. I dig it. I would normally say "I need more!" but I have put myself on a very low buy, so we shall see!

In the bottle

When I open it, there is a cloud of blueberry hanging in the air at around 1m radius from the bottle; thus, this is strong!
Sniffing, I get blueberry and citrus. The blueberry is not real to me, and the scent is sweet.
Image: a crépe wiith blueberries.

Wet
O
n my skin, this is a well-blended, sweet tangerine zest, with just a bit of citrus.
Image: a pine tree with a blueberry cake in front of it. plus wasps.

Dry

This is cold flowers with a bit of citrus.
Image of "White".

After one hour
I have a blueberry cloud around me; warm and sweet.

The blueberry still isnt "real", but I suppose this is hard to create. Luckily it doesnt go "artificial" either. Its just not a real blueberry (blueberries, as real fruit, dont have a smell to me, but the taste the ripe and good ones have, interestingly, is similar to this scent).

Image: night, something powerful and orange or sand-colored nearby

Overall
To me, this is a strong perfume: sweet, fruity, heavy, warm.

In the future, I may want to experiment with layering this one; but on its own, I like it as well.

This is lovely in the bottle and when first applied. I am also reminded of Skadi, but the pine ruined Skadi for me. This is frozen fruit and blossoms and I love it very much at first. Then my dreaded woods amping skin comes into play and something cedary begins to take over. It's not necessarily cedar, my skin turns any and all woods into pencil shavings no matter how slight. I can still sniff the lovely fruits when I hold my wrist close to my nose. The pencil shaving smell does die down a bit eventually, but is still present, alas. This is a beautiful scent ruined by my wonky skin chemistry and I am very sad about it. Perhaps a bit of aging will resolve the problem, because I really do want it to work!

On me, this is a cone rolled from thin blueberry fruit leather, stuffed with a just getting melty creamsicle, sprinkled with delicate white flower petals. I can't identify a particular flower, but there is a subtle pale nectar-y sweetness over the blueberry skins and creamy cold tangerine. Delicious! Great throw initially that mellows into a surprisingly long lasting nommy skin scent. Grin :biggrin: inducing, refreshing, and smoothly sweet.

In the bottle

I get the same jolt of blueberry that I did from Lilith's Blue Unicorn Moon, minus the bubblegum note and plus something else. This is sweet!

Wet on skin

The blueberry note is still the most dominant, but the tangerine note also comes out and it's a little bit like a delicious popsicle. A grown-up popsicle like you might find at a farmers market. Very fruit-forward but not juvenile or one-trick.

Dry after 30 minutes

This stays fruit-forward on my skin, but gets a nice, icy floral edge to it, which helps this retain that grown-up popsicle appeal. It doesn't smell alcoholic at all, don't get me wrong! But it smells fruity and summery without smelling innocent or juvenile. The blueberry also really meshes well with the tangerine to keep this from being a mostly citrus-based scent.

Thoughts

This has pretty good staying power on me without having enormous throw, which I appreciate. I'm probably going to hunt for another bottle somewhere, because this is something I could absolutely wear to work without smelling like I'm obviously wearing perfume or overpowering anyone's nostrils. If you are curious about this but are a little leery of citrus, this might be a good one for you.

In the imp: Ultra-sweet blueberry, smells like bubblegum.

Wet: Blueberry, and something overwhelming. Sharp and sweet, I think it might be a combination of the tangerine (smells a bit like the sharpness of orange rind?) mixed with the citrus/pine snow note. But not a lot of it, might be the frozen aspect.

Dry: A softer, more natural blueberry, with a distinctly juicier tangerine surrounding it. I get some vague white flowers, and underneath everything just a tinge of pine snow that grounds the sweetness of the other notes.

Preconception : I'm madly in love with blueberries. MADLY. It all traces back to Irrelevant and Disturbing Surreal Crawdad Dreams .... So I'm on an endless hunt. I almost blind-bottled this one but decided to hold off. "Frozen" and "Floral" have me concerned.

Initial Sniff: Crawdad. Oh my blueberry affair.

Initial skin: BLUEBERRY! Briefly. Then Bubblegum? Then SUGAH! Got a cavity.

Drydown: So, I should have known that frozen petals would still smell like floral. The icy-floral thing + tangerine is a bit strange to me. It almost smells like bird feathers and bubblegum. (Why do I know what that smells like) The blueberry is still being blueberry, but there's a cold citrus edge to it that's cutting it into a floral, clean, strange place for my brain. This is a really unique scent.

The longer I sniff it, the more it reminds me of Teleste, the only other Saturn moon I've tried. Which is interesting - there's something about these moons that are really blending together well into a proper set. It has some of the same delicate strength. It comes across "watery" to me, in that the scent smells diluted - not actually diluted just that it doesn't APPEAR full bodied. But yet it has crazy throw for me, and has really rounded edges. Almost like a light halo? How there's the outside rim and you know it has full body, but at the same time it's empty and missing parts. I promise I make sense. Late drydown the blueberry comes back as the more dominant note.

In any case - this is a scent worth trying in my opinion. It has some nods to Lilith's Blue Unicorn Moon - a definite blueberry bubble gum. But then has been adulted pretty hardcore, and made into something sophisticated and complex. I could sniff this forever contemplating how it makes me feel. Therapists should use Black Phoenix scents instead of ink blots.

Verdict: Not what I thought it would be. A contemplation on blueberry bubblegum, bird feathers, and our place in the universe.

Edited by Aveya

This scent is unexpectedly complex on me. In the decant, I get a bright blueberry and a somewhat cold smattering of flowers. On my skin, I get a flash of the tangerine before it disappears. The blueberry, cold note, and florals all seem to blend together, ebb and flow, and I end up with something reminiscent of a very fancy popsicle. You know, those fancy instagram ones with whole blueberries and flowers inside. It's very pretty and sweet, and I like that all the notes blend together so nicely.

When I first tried this, I thought I got more tangerine than blueberry, but a retest a few weeks later had the two notes more balanced. I get both of those at the front of the scent for the first few hours, backed by the frozen petals. But then the frozen note is the dominant part of the scent by the end of the day. The frozen note has a bit of a clean aspect, the bite of chill winter air that gets up your nose, and a smooth aspect to it that I think might be benzoin or some very smooth, light resin. There's no evergreen component to the snow, and it doesn't smell slushy, either.

I think this one is nice and will be holding onto my decant!

Edited by doomsday_disco