Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Silvertree

Eve (With Sage Fuck Up)

A few months ago, while we were prepping the return of the OLLAs, I butchered a massive bottle of Eve. I was stressed out and distracted, and accidentally replaced the rose component with an in-house sage combo of ours that contains Clary sage and Dalmatian sage. Basically, a whole lotta sage and zero rose. Anyway, it smells amazing, so imma sell it. I even gave it a really classy and poetic name because I'm a classy and poetic guy.

I may be about to commit BPAL heresy--actually, let's go with BPAL blasphemy, for the alliteration--but I may like Eve With Sage Fuck Up even more than OG Eve. Eve, it's not you, it's me--rose is a tough note for me to wear. So minus the rose, plus sage, Eve WSFU has suddenly become a very wearable scent for me.

In the bottle, and wet on my skin, Eve WSFU is soft mossy greenery and a hint of honeyed incense. It's green and warm and glowing, just a tiny bit "perfumey". The sage is fresh and herbal, and doesn't have that bone-dry quality it sometimes gives off. It's a beautifully earthy yet sophisticated blend, and I wish all my fuck-ups were this good.

In The Bottle: That gorgeous incense base that I've come to associate with Eve in all her glory dominates in the Fuck Up version as well. Can't wait to see what happens next!

Wet On Skin: Interestingly, the rose note in standard Eve never really showed itself, which is odd, because rose notes can amp on me and therefore be make-or-break situations. And I mention this because the sage is really subtle in here, in an only slightly elevated way that rose showed itself in the standard formula. What's it's doing is acting as kind of a stage or a base for the rest of the spicy, sultry notes in Eve to stand on. I'm definitely not getting the herby-greeny study Silvertree mentioned, so this might seriously be a skin chemistry thing taken to the next level.

Dry Down: I mean, this is Eve we're talking about. EVE. A scent based on a character personified by Tilda-Fucking-Swinton as an immortal living in North Africa. And having just come back from living for a brief and beautiful time in North Africa, the standard Eve was already close to my heart. This version of Eve, fuck-ups be damned, is fucking GLORIOUS. It's spicy and sweet and the sage plays up the desert aspect just a notch and it's just so. damn. slatherable. I never slather perfumes. But OLLA Eve, in both her guises, *requires* nothing less.

EASILY makes it into my top 10, my top 7and probably my top 5 if I'm pressed to say.
:wub2: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub2:

Edited by VioletChaos

I wish I could express myself as eloquently as the two above posters, but suffice to know that Eve WSFU is as if you were wearing Eve, went to your favorite metaphysical shop or botanica, and got properly smudged. Eve with calming sage billowing around you, permeating your aura. Yes. Good. So glad this f#$k up was shared!

I'm sitting here with original eve on one wrist and WSFU on the other and they are both amazing! The original is more rose/honey/incense, but the sage is amping to incense/herbal/honey. The sage is definitely adding a depth and a richness that isn't present in the more ethereal original.

Time to admit one of my great areas of BPAL blindness: I have never smelled OG Eve, so I'm going in blind here. I know it's one of the great ones, and I love sage with a slightly unhealthy passion, so I'm eager to see where this one goes.

In the imp: Sweet, musky, almost nutty honey, mixed with the scent of good, green, growing things - flowers and herbs and earth. However, I wouldn't call this one of the Lab's "earth" or "dirt" scents; it just gives the impression of slightly dry, dusty summer soil. I also get occasional whiffs of something cinnamon-esque, which upon further research, turns out to be the calamus.

Wet: Holy shit, if this is anything like OG Eve, I need to track down a bottle stat. This is the scent of an enchanted forest - mainly hawthorn and sage, with maybe some other herbs and/or grasses thrown in, but with an elusive, not-quite-floral edge, a tantalizing hint of incense, and some very non-obtrusive honey providing a base. All of my favorite perfumes have something unexpected about them, and this is no exception: I normally wouldn't look for incense or resins in a primarily green scent, but this is just enough to keep me huffing my wrist, trying to catch that thread of incense smoke. This is utterly lovely.

Dry: Pretty linear. The honey and incense/resins take a step back, leaving the hawthorn, sage, and other ineffable greenery prominent, with the saffron and calamus also notable. It's a surprisingly short-lasting scent on me (only 6 or 7 hours), but it makes a hell of an impression. I don't know if I would love this as much without the sage turning everything all green and forest-y, but as it is, this is quickly rocketing to a place among my all-time favorites.

I love OLLA Eve. She is the exotic scent that I wish Morocco smelled like to me and on me. Unfortunately, given that Morocco is GC, I am actually nose blind to it and can't smell it on my own skin. Thus my love for Eve. I don't actually detect rose as a distinct note in Eve, and I usually amp rose. She is a gentle breeze amidst the walkways and alleys in the bazaar, with hints of spices, flowers, and the exotic scents swirling together.

I didn't hesitate to buy two bottles of Eve w/Sage. Upon first sniff, there is unmistakably the scent of Eve, but this time she has more of the dry spices of the desert clinging to her. The sage gives her more of an incense aura, which is even more to my liking! This blend is more long-lasting on my skin, too. I am sorry that Beth goofed up anjug of gorgeous Eve, but so delighted that we can benefit from the mistake. This is absolutely gorgeous!

To me, this Eve doesn't smell as much as an amp-ed up Morocco. In fact, I get sage, honey, and incense. There's a touch of resins (I can't tell if myrrh or frankincense) but its definitely a sage-honey mix on me. It's like an entirely new animal. And yet, very similar to the OLLA Eve in a sort of desert rose - except you know, without the rose part. So, just desert sage bush? There's a pun in there somewhere. Good throw and wear length.

I bought a full bottle of the sage version since I figured I wouldn't have a problem passing it on if it wasn't my thing, and just the other day, I also received a decant of the original, so it was DEATHMATCHING TIME!

I have to say I agree with Silvertree, particularly since I also have difficulties wearing rose. The one in Eve is fairly restrained, so it's probably not necessarily a death note for similarly challenged folks, but it's there on my skin, if not necessarily in the vial (in vitro, so to say, they are very difficult to tell apart for me). As a result, OG Eve is a bit softer than SFU Eve, but also has an ever-so-slightly soapy tinge on me, which is absent in the sage version.

tl;dr: I'm really glad I have a bottle of Eve WSFU, and I don't think I'll have to hunt down a bottle of OG Eve, though I will keep the decant for when I'm in a rare "softer" mood.

Edited by Diva Urd

Eve w/Sage Fuckup on my period: Eve with enhanced rose and spices.

Eve w/Sage fuckup normal: Smells like Eve put a rose in her hair and decided eat sage rosemary chicken on my skin. Never fails. I am so glad this is going to a new home.

I have Eve (from 2014 release) on one wrist and Eve WSFU on the other.

This was super strong on the sage when it first arrived, so I let it settle for over a week. I get more of the honey from Eve WSFU than I do from Eve. Eve smells like a drier, saffron-infused incense on me. Although I normally see Eve as a magical, sweet resin and incense scent and haven’t really gotten a lot of rose from it in the past, smelling it side by side with the roseless sage version has now made me aware of its presence in the original. The sage version is a lot smoother, and while sage can be a dry note, that is not the case with the two sage notes in this blend.

This is more honeyed sage incense on me, while the original is warmer and more resinous, with the saffron playing a greater role on my skin. By the end of the day, the main note I get from Eve WSFU is honey.

I am super happy to have both, but I have to say I enjoy the original more (which makes sense, as I enjoy rose more than sage).

So Eve does not work on me because I amp the rose and it becomes cloying. Eve WSFU opens up almost as cloying, super sweet and very spicy and just not good for me.

But.

Dry down is different, I was not sure what to expect from the sage but it reads as a subdued earthy balancer to rich not overly sweet incense, spices and a dab of honey. Dry down is quite nice actually, and makes this a keeper I think.

Keep fing up Beth, cause winner winner.

Edited by Deceitfuldescender

I had high hopes since Eve works so well on me, but the sage turned out to be too prominent. I keep getting little wiffs of something very similar to moth balls. Farewell sage Eve~

I was wearing regular Eve earlier (the new release) so I am trying this with that fresh in my memory.

So far it smells the same, but maybe not as strong? (I do think Eve in general needs some aging to come into her full glory).

I have never smelled rose strongly in Eve. I can't say that I am really smelling the sage here either - it just smells like Eve. Which is beautiful. Maybe ever so slightly more herbal?

Once dry, it really just smells like Eve to me. Which is totally fine, I love Eve. So I will keep it as a back up, or perhaps swap it for a regular Eve if someone else happens to love this better. Either way. Not a fail, but not the "new and different Eve" I thought it would be either.

I find this very similar to the other Eve, but a tad more wearable without the rose. The sage is just a 'touch' to me, and all the other lovely notes are there. I am happy, as I accidentally spilled most of one of my Eve's, so this will replace her nicely.

Okay, I'm going through some Great BPALS of Ages Past and pulled this one today.  It has settled down SO nicely! Gorgeous incence herby dark floral on me.  

Today I'm wearing Eve and Eve/wSage side by side.

Fuckups are so lovely!! This still smells like Eve, but a little less sweet, a little more.. not smoky but gritty? That soft fuzziness of sage. Perfect when I'm not in a floral mood but still want that sexy, timeless scent.

I feel like this one is a little stronger smelling, or maybe I just dabbed more on, I'm not sure. Either way, it's still under control and gives me beautiful wafts of fragrance as I move my arms around. I'm sooo glad I managed to get my hand on a bottle because this will see lots of use.

was this a one time thing? cause i love it!!

edit: will replace this post with a review soon 

Edited by murqmaid

In the bottle: Soft sage and incense. When I apply it, the sage gets extremely loud and almost acrid -- to my relief, it calmed down quickly as it dried down. Once the sage chills out, this is incredible -- soft sage-y and mossy greens, light honey, and non-heavy incense. I rarely like incense notes, but I love this. Glad I took a chance on a bottle when this popped up on Etsy.

I don't know Eve from Adam (🥁) but I got a decant of Eve with Sage and I love it.

My experience seems to be similar to others - it leads with sage and settles into sagey honeyed incense. There's more depth to it than those three notes imply, however I'm not able to pick out anything else specifically, which is good - sometimes my skin does ugly things with saffron. This scent stays close to the skin for me, but I can't stop sniffing myself.