Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

With the Wand createth He.
With the Cup preserveth He.
With the Dagger destroyeth He.
With the Coin redeemeth He.
– Liber B vel Magi sub Figura I

Clary sage and patchouli for Earth, lavender and yarrow for Air, tobacco and Dracaena cinnabari for Fire, lotus root and myrrh for Water.

Magicians Tools is very men's cologne a whiff of tobacco? Does nothing for me. Masculine but not deep/dark. The clary sage is there up front. I don’t get much patch on the wet. I think it’s like the water element softening the impact of the darker elements. Dry down this morphs a bit and the lavender and yarrow come out, but the integration of these elements while magical make it too masculine cologne-y for me. I could see someone else adoring it.

UGH. I can't overstate my joy at this. It smells magical. It's got all of those pieces, and more. I get lavender and clary sage on wet, but then the patch, tobbaco, and myrrh come out and its just this lovely magical blend. If you're looking for a magical BPAL, this is it.

Source: Decant Circle

Preconception: Sage is relaxing, love it. Patchouli is my Soul Mate. Lavender is my love affair. Tobacco is my sultry alter-ego. Lotus Root is my soul. The other notes are new to me. But generally? I'm super flippin' pumped for this one.

Vial: Herbal, soothing, smells amazing.

Skin: This thing has a robust cast. In order of appearance;

Lavender, Blooming beautiful lavender, strong and proud. Then once I think it's going to be a lavender single note, this dirty edge peaks out and prevents lavender from going smooth and mellow. Instead it gets gritty and bright. Dirty. Patchouli alters the course. Then it gets more melded. Something spicy and strange tingling in. At this point I'm unsure about the blend. It's now cluttered and full. Confusing conflicting notes for me. A bit of chaos for the soul?

Drydown: it eases off the confusion and melds more peacefully into an almost creamy herbal blend. It's natural, dirty / earthy, slightly dusty, but with a solid dark, almost resinous base. I don't get much lotus at all unfortunately.

Verdict; Not a scent for me, but definitely an herbal-lovers dream. Very relaxing yet invigorating as well.

In the decant: This is very herbal, with the lavender and clary sage being the most prominent notes in the vial. I am not sure what yarrow smells like even though I’ve tried a few scents with the note.

Wet: I’m hit with a blast of clary sage and herbal lavender. Beneath these notes, there’s a warmth to the scent from the tobacco and a bit of the dragon’s blood. The scent does have an airy quality to it at the moment and is very relaxing.

Dry: The clary sage and lavender are still going strong, but the tobacco and myrrh are darkening the scent. After a while, I get the patchouli, which adds some earthiness to the scent. I was afraid of the lotus root, as that is often too bubblegum-y sweet on me, but it just adds a light sweetness in the background without turning into bubblegum.

After a while, the patchouli, clary sage, and tobacco become the main players.

Verdict: I originally was going to get a decant of this one because it had lavender listed as a note, but decided not to…. and then zee_zee’s review made me regret that decision! I am really glad that I was able to swap for a decant, since I wasn’t sure how the notes in this would play together. I really like this (especially the early phase of the scent) and think it would be a nice sleep scent, so I will definitely be keeping the decant and using it for that purpose. I am debating a bottle, but if it doesn’t make it into my next order, it’s only because other Magician and Activism scents were calling to me more.

Edited by dementia_divine