Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Flos campi and lilium convallium, Rose of Sharon and Lily of the Valley: the blossoms of transcendence and spiritual aspiration.

First sniff was pollen heavy floral like orange blossom. Wet down I get intense white flower, I am not a lily/lily of the valley fan but I can imagine this is a white flower fan's dream. The flowers are dusky with almost a medicinal base, so not bright. I could see this being a contemplative scent. It dries down powdery white flowers taking on a department store style classic perfume element as it settles. I can't do white flowers but if I could I'd be all over this.

Wet: Super sweet and heady Lily. Hints of soap and wet cardboard. Charming. It's getting better as it settles on my skin. It's very heady.

Dry: ALL THE LILY. And just a wee touch of soap. Nice soap though. Or maybe not even, maybe I am just thinking of a soap that smelled like lily, yea know? Anyway, I can't remember what Rose of Sharon smells like (I do remember though that it does NOT smell like rose) but I would be hard pressed to pick out any other floral in this anyway. All Lily, all day. It's pretty. And I don't even like Lily! So if you love Lily, you had best try this I think.

Lilyyyyy! This is a slightly soapy lily, very clean, with a touch of rose. But oh, it's like a very clean spiritual lily. Very pretty and ethereal.

I like lily! I really do. but...don't really reach for gorgeous white flower perfumes all that much. this is a beautiful balance between the lily and the labdanum/cistus/rockrose. the lily isn't soapy to me/on me, but there's something about the drydown that does feel very clean (esp compared to the suggestive honey in the magus). this hovered gently in my aura for two hours and then stayed a skin scent for the remainder of the day/into evening. if I wore lily scents more than twice a year, this would easily be a bottle upgrade for me. it's beautiful!

In the bottle

This is almost straight up Lily of the Valley with a hint of something sweeter behind it. Like, when I was a kid and picked Lily of the Valley from my neighbor's garden without permission and smelled it up close? A lot like that.

Wet on skin

Still Lily of the Valley, primarily, but I do get something a wee bit citrus blossomy along with it. It's almost tropical Lily of the Valley, which I suppose is from the Rose of Sharon.

Dry on skin after 30 minutes

This is less heady and in-your-face, a bit more complex, but still very much a Lily of the Valley based scent. I'm not getting any soapiness.

Thoughts

Lily of the Valley was one of the first flowers that I was able to identify as a favorite, and I really love this perfume. It's heady, tropical, sweet, bloomy, and both thick and delicate at the same time. It's something I would wear judiciously, as this has a LOT of throw on my skin.

According to the internet, Ego Flos Campi et Lillium Convallium is Latin for "I am a rose of Sharon and a lily of the valleys". It is from the second chapter of The Song of Solomon and has inspired numerous musical interpretations. It's almost as if Beth is also foreshadowing The Lovers with this.

I love the concept of this, and I adore floral perfumes, so I'm looking forward to trying it. I'm not sure I remember the scent of lilies of the valley by themselves. I don't know what Rose of Sharon smells like.

Fresh bottle from a BPAL retailer.

In the bottle: Realistic flowers, with that faint edge of bitterness that you get from some very fresh cut flowers. It may be the lily of the valley, because it is very familiar, and I don't get any type of rose note that I recognize.

On me, wet: The same. After a minute, I do get a single whiff of rose, but it is gone as quickly as it appeared. It leaves behind a floral note I can't identify.

After 10 minutes: This has become a more blended scent, and I no longer recognize any flower that I know.

At 20 minutes: Something in this is vaguely reminiscent of orange blossom, but I don't know why. It certainly isn't orange blossom. It's quite beautiful. Heavenly, in both senses of the word.

At 40 minutes, it's going a little powdery, but I don't mind. It still retains its own character, too.

At 2 hours: The scent on my wrist is pretty much gone.

Verdict: A beautiful and somewhat different floral perfume.

6 out of 6 stars

Later edited to add: I don't read the other reviews until after I've written mine so that I won't be influenced by them. So when I did, I was intrigued to see that another reviewer also mentioned a similarity to orange blossom, especially because I had wondered if I was imagining things!

Edited by Ghost of a Rose

I honestly thought I would not like The Magician’s Garden. I’ve loved the others in the Magician line, so I went ahead and bought a decant recently. How silly of me!

This is pure magic. 

I am not too familiar with the scent of either flowers, but on my skin they are a rich velvety yet delicate floral. I wouldn’t contest if it said there was vanilla in the notes! No soapy experience here. 

Ethereal is right. 

Transcendence is possible. The Veil (of petals) parts before me and the scent leads me into a blissful state of being. Sensual, yet purifying. 

I am undone. Open. One.