Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The sign of life, the sigil of eternity. The mathematics that form the structure of the universe, the finality of Omega, yet also the inconceivable, endless space beyond. Immortality and rebirth, the perfect aspiration of Spirit.

Frankincense and black pepper, Himalayan cedar, cognac, and tobacco.

The Leminscate is very woody - hard cold wood chips with black pepper. The wood is harsh. Dry down is pure wood with a light wooden element which maybe the tobacco trying to come out. I don't hate it but I don't love it enough I have a couple of hard wood scents already. Reminds me very much of They Lie Thus Chambered and Cold to the Moon. I dont get the warmth of the tobacco or the cognac I had hoped for, they are elements not the main stage on me.

Dark frankincense, pepper, and cedar. It's a light cedar overlayed with frankincense and pepper, and occasionally I get a whiff of tobacco. Very masculine frankincense. Good throw and wear length.

Pure cedar-frankincense love. The cedar is dry and woody and sweet, and the tobacco gives a round warmth to the back end. I don't get any cognac (which is for the best honestly), but I do get a pungent black pepper sprinkled on top.

It does remind me of the cedar in They Lie Thus Chambered and Cold to the Moon, which was another personal favorite.

Source: Decant Circle

Preconception: In love with Tobacco lately, and on a learning-voyage with Frankincense. Excited but unsure.

Vial: Wood. Slightly lemon.

Skin: Lemony woody. I'm finally figuring out this is frank. Hi, frank! Extra-wood version.

Drydown: Pepper comes across STRONG for me. But pepper + cedar = pencil shavings. Specifically pencil shavings in a plastic container. Because it even has this like, acidic element to it, as well as the feel of static cling. Like the shavings just wont quite come out so you gotta stick a finger in there and get all the dust into the can. And then you're gonna smell like that for the next few hours.

Verdict; Pepper crusted wood.

Yep, pepper and cedar = pencil shavings for me, too. I can definitely get behind a masculine frankincense. The tobacco isn't enough to justify keeping this, or make it sweet enough for my liking.

The Lemniscate is primarily frankincense and cedar on me. If those two notes work for you, this is stunning. I've been testing some fruity scents which really aren't my thing, and in contrast Lemniscate is bracing, clean, unisex. The cedar and frank combine into a single dry, woody thing -- I can't pull them apart. There's a kick of black pepper, a ghost of warm tobacco, maybe the tiniest bit of sweetness in drydown from the cognac. I absolutely love this one.

Wet, this is strongly medicinal; bitter and astringent (almost lemony) sharp wood. I too get pencil shavings. The cognac and tobacco are there but, unlike other blends where they shine (ie Black Rider) it's not quite curbing the blast of cedar, pepper, and frank. It is a well blended oil, since these notes are hard to pick apart, but it's very intense interplay since they're such different flavors.

On the dry down it's almost all a slightly sweet black pepper. The effect on me is something akin to strong black licorice or anise. Unfortunately I'm not a fan of those notes (for me they elicit a foggy, nauseating, like not-quite-BO-but close, claustrophobic sweat smell) so this will have to go right to the swaps. I was mostly curious if BPAL's black pepper would convert me (thinking if anyone could do it..), but no. I think pepper just isn't a note that will work for me, and I suppose I may always associate it with Drakkar Noir.

I will say this is the most interesting BPAL sample I've tried so far, unique in its own way. On the right person it would be memorable.

Edited by supreme-cort

I've been experimenting a bit with cedars, which usually go terrible on me, to see if certain varieties work better.  Himalayan cedar shows some promise.  The Lemniscate is well blended and gentle, leaning slightly towards masculine.  The cedar, tobacco, and frankincense are all present, and all working together as one cohesive scent.  I like black pepper and cognac, but I'm not really getting any here.  ... Ok.... maybe a touch of cognac when I really slather.  

This is a nice, unobtrusive wood/tobacco scent.  Pleasant, but not ringing my bells.  

Coming back to give this one some love. It's one of my favorites. I hoarded samples until I could find a full bottle.

On me, it's frankincense and black pepper up front, with tobacco weighing it down, in turns cognac sweet and lemony cedar wood in a tussle. They're beautifully blended and all take a turn.

I actually thought I hated frankincense - it's usually too dusty and powdery, almost sour on me. But this one opened my mind! I was surprised when I came back to see it in the notes here. The weather just dropped by about 20 degrees last night. Autumn is rolling in, and I found most excited to bring this out again. It's dry and the spices are faint, with a little cedar lemony wood Wearing it to work today. This could go pretty much anywhere.