Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

To save a trump card, sometimes you must make sacrifices: tolu balsam, leather, labdanum, black pepper, and benzoin.

Original review, 4/18: The Scapegoat is very very similar to Ranger v5 i.e. Ranger minus the berry and sweet pine, with a dash of pepper like v5 has. Even though they don't share listed notes, they end up coming out pretty much the same on my skin. Ranger is one of my favorites, but I am definitely missing the berry/pine in Scapegoat, just like I did in v5. The leather in this one is pretty muted, with the balsam and pepper more in the forefront. It's a nice, wearable scent, but not one I need a bottle of.

Update 2/19: I take it back I take it ALL back. The Scapegoat has aged into magnificence, rich and warm and sophisticated. Now, it actually reminds me more of my beloved Luper, We Believe That Death is Not the End of Man. The pine is lush, rounded, buttered by the leather and resins. The pepper is very well-blended, just giving it all a hint of piquancy. The lack of sweetness tips this into a slightly more masculine territory, which also makes it unexpectedly sexy on a woman ;). I *HAD* to have a bottle!

Edited by starbrow

starting off i get a resiny, slightly sweet scent. i think it's labdanum and tolu balsam. i don't seem to get much of the other notes, but there may be some benzoin in there too. i get a bit of black pepper, but this is mostly smoky and sweet resins. if there is leather, it's very subtle.

Wet: Lots of leather, but the smooth warm worn leather that I LOVE. Reminds me of Unicorn and Ram, Hochelaga. Has that sort of feel. It's a warm snuggly woody leather scent, with rich resins to sweeten it up. Lovely. Unisex.

Dry: This is so lovely and comforting and snuggly. The leather is to die for - soft, well worn, almost sueded. It's warm and rich, slightly woody, slightly sweet from the resins. Really nice. It really does somehow remind me of Unicorn and Ram - I need to do a side by side. I may have to have more of this!

The Scapegoat is primarily a leather blend on me, too. It's really good -- soft cozy brown leather with balsam and resins in support, perfectly gender neutral. If I didn't have a bottle of Prosperous Flowers of the Elegant Twelve Seasons, which shares the leather and labdanum notes, I'd be queuing up for a bottle of Scapegoat. Right now it doesn't last on me as long as Prosperous Flowers, but I suspect age will improve that. I seem to be anosmic to the pepper note, so you may get a more peppery bite.

Another win for the Fool!

Edited by Lucchesa

This one's a warm, snuggly scent without being so heavy that it would overpower in late spring or summer. On my skin,

the worn leather is in the background, solidly comforting. The sweetness of the resins and a hint of the black pepper

take the foreground. giving off a 'your skin but better' vibe that's approachable & inviting. You'll want to let this Fool take

the fall for you, but don't be surprised if you can't stop hugging them afterwards. :hug:

Benzoin, leather, and a whiff of pepper. This is mainly a resinous leather blend. Gender neutral toward masculine. Medium throw and wear length.

Source: TPP Decant Circle

Preconception: More just curious - black pepper leather could be cool.

Imp: Sticky manly leather death (what? I don't..)

Initial skin: Surprisingly sweet! Wood dominant on me. I'm not as familiar with the notes in this scent, so my brain is turning this into #2 pencil.

Drydown: Sadly this sticks with the wood note for me, some reason the pepper add REALLY makes this smell like my old school desk from Elementary. Leftover crayons, books, possibly a newt, grocery-bag-wrapped textbooks, but mostly wood that's been carved into from previous generations.

Verdict: Elementary school desk. Wood heavy, masculine-slanted, medium throw.

If the leather was a bit more, I think it would combat the desk-vibe I can't shake. Hopefully someone else can enjoy this for me.