Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Speaking truth to kings, beggars, and popes alike, immune to retribution and lordly wrath as he flings wise quips like cream pies and barbed arrows.

A motley tunic, festooned in bells: red currant and lemon peel over sugared patchouli and a bit of buttercream.

A huge "Huzzah" to this Jester!

Opens with a bright citrus-like sugar. Fresh and sweet, like smelling a lemon poppy seed cake.
As it wears the Red Currant supports the brightness of the lemon, keeping me away from the scent memory of a lemon scented cleaner.
The Patch is playful, delightfully tethering it to the ground or it will all float away.

Substantial longevity and mild throw. Now I want to get out my bottle of Cherophobia 2016 and side by side test them.

In the imp: sugary sweetness! Like red currant jam on a buttery scone. Mmm.

Wet: I totally get that lemon poppy cake smell mentioned above! Sugary lemon, tangy currants, and a hint of bitterness to balance it out. It does veer a bit too close to cleaning product for my liking, but I'm hoping it backs off as it dries.

Dry: Patchouli usually vanishes in minutes on me, but it's so entwined with the lemon peel here that it's actually stuck around for a full hour. The red currant is the MIA note instead, and it's a shame because I was rather liking it. It's mostly sugary patchouli and bitter lemon peel now, sitting in buttercream. The lemon is definitely in cleaning product territory now. Sigh. Betrayed by the lemon!

On the one hand, good longevity. On the other, lemon cleaner. Oh, fickle fate, will any of the Fool's scents be right for me?

edit: it's been 6+ hours and the patch is STILL THERE. I don't know whether to chalk it up to the blend or hormones, but I think I'm gonna have to keep this to retest in a couple weeks and see how the patch holds up.

edit 2: it's been a few weeks and nope, the patch didn't hold up this time. The lemon has even gotten worse! I'm glad so many others are liking this, it should be easy to find a new home for my imp.

Edited by Juliamon

This smells like iced lemon cake floating over a fairly mild patchouli. It's kind of an odd combo on paper, but it's working on me, and I like it. There's more icing in the early stages and more patch later on.

Wet: LEMON. Lots of lemon.

Dry: I can understand why people are getting a lemon poppyseed vibe from this. It’s like that... plus patchouli on my skin.
Kind of funky, and not really the biggest fan.

Edited by donkehpoo

Holy moly this is like Lemon Scented Sticky Bat and Silky Bat had a love child and I am in love! Beautiful!

I immediately thought of Silkybat when I saw the description of this, so I had to at least try it!

Wet: Yes, this is like someone pinned Silkybat down and smeared lemon buttercream frosting all over it. It's a bit sexy, a bit fresh. Sweet and tart at the same time.

Dry: Once dry, this turns a bit powdery on me. Powdery lemon, plus the patch from Silkbat. I am not the biggest fan of lemon, so I won't need more of this, however I imagine I will use my little decant-in-bottle occasionally. If you do like lemon, and you like Silkybat, GET THIS.

Ooh, I am loving Fate’s Jester so much! I feel like it could be a Mad Tea Party scent: it has the same sunshiny mood-lifting quality as Alice. Tangy realistic red currant with sugared lemon and just a hint of patchouli as backdrop. It has great throw on me, which is rare, and better than average wear length. After about three hours the patch becomes more prominent. A joyful scent, and definitely a bottle purchase.

In The Bottle: Lemon sugar- hooray! Lemon sugar is amongst my favorite Lab notes- I hope it stays!

Wet On Skin: So far, so good- 98% lemon sugar, with a hint of currant sweetening the pot, but only as a breathy afterthought.

Dry Down: Oh my stars and garters, this is just DIVINE. It's a rich lemon meringue with some sugared patchouli to give it a base on which to stand and it is working SOOOOOO well! If you are a fan of Spirit Board: YES or Happy Baby In A Long Dress, then you MUST procure a bottle of this.

I am *so* glad I have a bottle in time for summer! :wub: :wub: :wub:

Got this in TPP's decant circle. Yay! I was doing sniffies of everything, but this one got plopped on skin RIGHT away.

Imp: I made audible sounds at how beautiful I thought this smelled. It reminded me a LOT of Gobo (fraggle rock) in the imp. Lemon Gobo.

Skin initial: GOBO BUT MORE. Completely entirely a sweet citrus, with an immediate creamyness (push-ups for adults).

Drydown: So, the patch took a while to peak out for me. But once it does, this scent is an entirely different game. The lemon-cream sugar of Gobo is still there, but a warmth starts to swell up from under it. I'm going to say it's a red patchouli (with my limited patch knowledge, this is like Sumatran Red. Nothing like East African Black). It's smooth and warm, not sharp and dirty.

The moment where it switches from Gobo 2.0 to Sugared patch i got a little nervous - but once it passed the new scent was soooo amazing and delicious. Smooth, warm, gently woody/almost amber-esq in vibe, but then also these bright pops of sugary lemon cream. This is probably going to be a bottle buy/trade for me. Love. Love love love.

:wub2:

Edited by Aveya

Sugary lemon, a hint of buttercream and patchouli. The patchouli is the type that you find in Silkybat. So whiff of Silky Bat mixed with the Lemon Sticky Bat scent. BATS FOR EVERYONE. Sugary bats. Medium throw and wear length.

Strong, slightly sugared, lemon scent, with red currant and patchouli not far behind.

I would describe it as mature lemon, the currant and patchouli make the sugared-lemon smell more grown-up without overshadowing the lemon.

I didn't expect to like Fate's Jester as much as I did. I found myself reaching for my tester over and over again. This reminded me of Silky Bat, but better. Its an uplifting scent and not too foody. I would love to have a bottle!

Edited by ziggystardust13

In the bottle

Patchouli, berries, and something vaguely citrusy.

Wet on skin

This is creamier, sweeter, and a tad sharper when it touches my skin. Unlike other patchouli scents, this also isn't super strongly patchouli.

Dry on skin after 30 minutes

The sharpness decreases and the sweetness increases as this mixes with my skin chemistry. It also has AMAZING throw. There's a hint of something lemony in there but this is very much currant, buttercream, and patchouli for me.

Thoughts

This is one of the longest lasting BPAL scents in my collection, along with one of the most sweetly complex. While it has patchouli, it's not patchouli-dominant, it's much deeper than that. I really love it.

In the bottle, I get tons of red currant, lemon, and a bit of red patchouli.

That's also how it is on me, too: strong red currant and lemon, with the red patchouli getting stronger over time. But the red currant is by far the strongest note on my currant-amping skin. I never got much buttercream, sadly, and I was hoping for more of that note.

Fate's Jester is not for me, but it was nice to get to try it. :)

Wet: Red currant and lemon peel stands out the most.

On: This is a lovely fruity and sweet scent over patchouli. It has creamy feel to the scent. Some slight bitterness from the lemon peel. Good throw.

Dry down: Some remaining zest and patchouli. Unfortunately low throw from here.

Next day: So I had some accidentally smeared on my sleeve and when I wore my jumper the next day I could still smell it. This would be lovely in a scent locket! It smells more like what it was when "on"-- beautiful.

Fate’s Jester is a tart sweet juicy sugar bomb! I get loads of lemon and currant all coated in sweet buttercream. The patchouli is surprisingly absent on me.I’m sure it’s the note I was originally interested in... The joyful air of this Jester keeps me smiling, though, despite not getting that Silkybat patch mentioned above. 
The sweet sugary frosting note is what really makes the scent for me. Otherwise, the tartness would probably be overwhelming. 
Huge throw and wear length, which is somewhat of a novelty on my skin. 
Summertime perfection~

The buttercream and lemon are the strongest notes. I don't think I've tried a blend with sugared patchouli before, but if I didn't know this blend had it in here I wouldn't think there was any. The sugar overwhelms the little bit of patchouli I can smell. This reminds me of the Girl Scout lemon cookies! Very sweet and fun.

I don't know how I haven't reviewed this, as it's been one of my comfort scents for the panoramic we're all in.

I tend to oomph current a slight titch, and at the start this is a fruity buttercream schmeared in lemon drops, over a slightly earthy patchouli base. The patch never goes into crazy territory on me, the lemony buttercream keeps this in a twisted merry go round of a scent, perfectly appropriate for the name. I wore this last year and a friend said I smelled "devilishly whimsical", and I've carried that description with me. If you aren't sure on patch, and like sweeter scents, this is a good intro, as it isn't a patch bomb like other scents. 

this is delightful. 

silkybat with creamy sweet lemon and just a tiny touch of red berry. silkybat reads as lemony sweet patchouli to me anyway, but this one leans into the lemon and amplifies the sweetness in a dessert-type way. the patchouli here is lighter than in silkybat, but identical.  starts off more fruity buttercream grounded by patchouli, but the patchouli gradually gains volume on the skin until it takes the forefront. 

delicious from start to finish!