Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Deceitfuldescender

Dragon-Smooched Snake Oil

While creating a 4lb mother bottle of Snake Oil, I had a brain fart and accidentally dropped honey accord, extra patchouli, and dragons blood into it. While it is another Horrible Error, I figured that it might be a Horrible Error that some people might enjoy.

So wet and early dry down this was sort of cola like syrupy deliciousness but now is hitting me with some heavy patchouli, but not the dirty hippy kind, with just a hint of dragons blood. A bit of perfumey sweetness that I would bet might be the honey accord over the sugared snake oil.
This is patchouli forward, but it is fresh from the mail and not the long dry down. I will try to update with long drydown results.

This will almost certainly age most gloriously and fans of patchouli that is not overwhelmy or head shopy should definitely try it. I myself am hoping for a bit more dragons blood!

Edit: this is already drying down to a sweet mashup of patch, perfumey dragons blood and sweet snake oil.
Snake oil is backdrop, not dominant, honey does not to all weird, in fact is almost undetectable to me. This has blended superbly into a fascinating and almost enchanting scent even though I *whispers* do not generally enjoy snek oil.

Edit: late dry down, a well rounded almost, nutty idk hos to describe it, full patchouli non dirty, with only the lightest kiss of snake oil and dragons blood.

Eta: tried my second bottle to see if there was any variation but it dried the same way, I may just amp patch (I usually actually normally avoid it in blends bc I cannot stand the dirty hippy variety, so I cannot speak to if that is normal for me.)
As earlier the dry down is a so pleasant mish mash if sweet snake oilyness as a backdrop for delicious chewy patch with only the faintest breath of dragon blood. Edited by Deceitfuldescender

Fresh out of the mailbox! I usually wait at least a day to test, but I couldn't resist smelling the Smooch.

This is Dragon's Milk older sister. A little soft, honeyed sweetness; some rich, burnished patchouli. It's a very smooth scent, and falls into the category I think of as "glowing". I'm so glad I got a chance to try it!

I'm so pleased I managed to snag a bottle of this lovely "mistake"!

As Deceitfuldescender notes, it starts out with a sweet cola-like note. It's sugary, smooth, and delicious although not in a foody way. Snake Oil is in there, but this blend reminds me more of some other of my favorites including Luna Negra and Panther Moon.

It's got decent throw initially and is still going strong and is fairly linear at 3 hours. I honestly don't get that much patchouli, and the honey is the pretty, non-cat pee version. I do detect the dragon's blood, and it is indeed similar to that of Dragon's Milk.

This is possibly my favorite SO blends ever, I think.

Wet: A very patchouli-heavy Snake Oil.

Dry: The dragons blood has come out, and the heaviness from the wet stage has disappeared! Snake Oil and dragons blood, with some sweetness that original SO doesnt possess. The honey, maybe?

Delicious blend, and I cant wait to see how it ages. Its not my favorite SO blend(that goes to Womb Furie), but absolutely worth trying to get your hands on if SO plays well with your skin chemistry.

Edited by donkehpoo

In the bottle: Snake Oil and dragon's blood

Wet: The patch comes out more, it reminds me a bit of Mme Moriarty

Dry: As it dries the honey comes out, and it all melds into a musky warm snekky blanket

I had high hopes for this, and I was not disappointed! If you are a fan of Snake Oil, Dragon's Milk, or Mme Moriarty, then you will probably love this.

I thought this would be a good try and then I would find it a new home. NOPE! :thud: This is sweet play doh/snake oil with soft honey, a punch of patchouli and a warm river of dragon's blood when wet.

Dry: It is a lovely sweet, soft, baby dragon with honey and patchouli breath.

This bottle is lovely..and will be loved in its new home. :wub2:

I wasn't sure this would work on me, since dragon's blood and honey scents tend not to. And fresh Snake Oil doesn't work nicely with my skin.

But. This mix is lovely on my skin. It's a smooth, slightly spicy Snake Oil on me. So glad I got it.

Well hot-diggity-damn, look at that. Finally, a Snake Oil that works on my skin.I never thought this day would come. This is... elegant. This is the dry, smooth, woody patch that aaaaalllmost worked on me in Fake News, with that nice honey note that worked so beautifully in Krampus Lace. The Snake Oil itself is a bunch of not much, the way it usually is, but this is smooth and woody and spicy and sweet with a sophisticated dragon's blood twist and I think I actually like this enough to keep it. What a surprise!

OMG. This is a patchouli wearin' Snake Oil, who has Womb Furie and Dragon's Milk as godparents! I kind of laughed when I put it on because I imagined Snake Oil sipping a Coke and getting a kiss on each cheek at the same time.

Dragon Smooched Snake Oil is mostly our beloved Snake Oil, amped with knarly patchouli, sweet honey, and drippy, red dragon's blood. I find it less vanilla-y and spicy that regular SO, and way more red and kind of fruity, like dragon's blood can be. It reminds me quite a bit of Mme Moriarty in feel. I also wear and love Mme Moriarty quite a bit, but I'll wear Dragon Smooched SO when I wanna feel a bit sillier and embrace happy accidents.

Count me among those who couldn't resist giving this a try straight out of the mailbox! I questioned myself before, during, and after purchasing it because I didn't get along with regular Snake Oil, so why did I think this would be any different? But it turns out my gut instinct (and FOMO) were right on the money because this is, already, absolutely amazing.

In the bottle: Oh heck yes I made the right choice. I can smell that lovely Snake Oil blend, the way it smells before it turns to tire rubber and cigarettes on me, and the honey and the Dragon's Blood are right up in its business. I think the patch must be hiding in the Snake Oil.

Wet: Ah, there's the patch. Woody patch, subtle enough that my mom mistook it for sandalwood when I forced her to sniff my wrist. The Snake Oil isn't turning on me at all, the honey is rounding off its sharp rough edges into a lacquered smoothness and the dragon's blood is giving it a lovely brightness. I can barely tear my nose away from my wrist. This is a rich garnet color to me.

Dry: I only put on the barest minimum to avoid reeking of perfume during dinner, but at 30 minutes in my skin hasn't eaten it yet, for which I am thankful. The Snake Oil is fighting for dominance, but continues to be held in check by the dragon's blood. My skin finally found the vanilla in the SO base and it's blending beautifully with the honey to add a sweetness that makes it almost like Vanilla Coke. This is good, good, good.

I can't speak to the throw with how little I applied, but I'm definitely gonna be tempted to slather this bad boy. I almost wish I'd grabbed a second bottle, but with how limited it is I'm glad for that bottle to have found its way to one more person who can share in this blessed mistake.

Update: it's been a week and some change and the patchouli is starting to become more prominent in the bottle. Hasn't changed on my skin though, but I do tend to eat patch. It has a pretty average wear length, so I'm REALLY regretting not grabbing that second bottle because I just want to smell like this all the time. This is the first scent I've found myself actively craving when I'm not wearing it.

Update 2: A couple months on, this is one of those blends where a little goes a loooong way. No need to slather, you'll smell this with just a dab! The patchouli continues to settle into the blend, lending it a gentle bite without being super in-your-face.

Update 3: Nearly a year later, the DBR has really started to shine. It's loosened its grip on the Snake Oil and they've become fast friends, though I think the honey hasn't faired so well in the process. It's becoming a more aggressive blend, very dragon-y and a hint musky.

Edited by Juliamon

Holy patchouli, Batman!

For a second, I get a good blast of dragon's blood and then it's all patchouli from there. I honestly don't get much of a Snake Oil vibe from this but on my quest to try all things Snake Oil, this isn't half bad!

I don't think I'd ever rehome this as I'm sure it will get better with age. I also thought the label would literally be the Snake Oil oops sticky note so a picture of that on the legit BPAL label is sort of quirky and cute. I think this will be my prized bottle to hold on to above all else.

Can't wait until this mellows out a little bit on the patchouli - I'm sure it will be one of my top loves! Smells like Dragon's Milk layered over an extra dirty SO.

On the spectrum of SO wearers, I'm the tricky kind; only Womb Furie acts like it should AND has staying power. Even regular SO vanishes within the first half hour. So, every time there's an SO blend (and there are so many!) I have the hope that it will at least rival Womb Furie in how it lasts/reacts to my skin chemistry. This starts out a super chewy, delicious patch/dragon's blood/honey SO and then...Poof. By the hour mark, all that is left is powdery dragon's blood and faint traces of the rest. I was really lucky to get a bottle of this, so I'll keep and age it for a year and then re-asses, but I'll keep looking forward to other blends (and buy another back up of Womb Furie. Look, a woman can never have too much, can she?).

The minute I saw Beth's announcement, I knew I needed eleventybillion bottles of this. Unfortunately, I could only afford two. I'm not complaining, however, as I am one of the lucky ones.

Snake Oil is one of my very favorite scents of all time. I love it fresh, aged, and usually as a base in the other related Snake Oil scents. Patchouli is a lifelong love of mine. And then there's Beth's Dragon's Blood, another note I adore, especially in Dragon's Milk. So when this "oops" of Beth's was announced, BE STILL MY BEATING HEART!

Fresh from the mailbox, the Snake Oil was the first thing I smelled, with just a hint of dragon's blood. I've been wearing it every day for five days in a row, and it's getting better and better. The extra patchouli makes the Snake Oil smell like it's supersized, and the dragon's blood and honey give this a Dragon's Milk sweetness, but it's not as sticky-sweet as DM can be on my skin. I'm going to go through my first bottle too fast, but what a way to go.

Beth, thank you so much for sharing this "oops" with us! It really is the scent of my dreams. I love this, and am putting away my second bottle to age because this is going to be Ah-may-zing in the future, given its beauty now.

Edited by Poenari

I got this Saturday and couldn’t wait for it to rest so am reviewing straight from the mailbox Saturday evening and onto my skin.

In bottle, it smells mostly of dragon’s blood. I am okay with this and fully on board.

Wet, the heavier elements of Snake Oil are tinged with some honeyed dragon’s blood. Also okay with this and even more on board. I’m getting excited to see the scent reveal itself over the next few hours.

Dry and into drydown, there’s a sharp note that comes and goes—this happens with fresh bottles of Snake Oil on me, so I am unsurprised—but it is otherwise a sweeter, spicier, more earthy Snake Oil.

I could see this “Oops!” flying off the shelf at, say, Urban Outfitters ;). It’s a little too witchy-enchantress for something like Sephora or Ulta, but it would be a definite best seller among the indie, pro-sumer (professional consumer ;)) crowd.

This is all sorts of yes, and it isn’t even rested. I can’t wait to see what it becomes as it ages.

I am on the fence about this. In the bottle, I get the Snake Oil and maybe a light honey. I get the cola syrup at the beginning. During drydown, the patchouli comes to the top, but isn't in your face. The honey is light, and I don't appear to be amping it, which I'm happy about. I don't feel the dragon's blood is overpowering, and is keeping it earthier (slightly woody, slightly resinous), so it's not as sweet and cloying as regular Snake Oil. I think this will age wonderfully, though.

I don't like plain Snake Oil at all (aged or fresh), but I love most of the Snake Oil blends (why? some sort of magic), and I loooove patchouli and Dragon's Milk, so I snagged two bottles of this heavenly creature.

Dragon-Smooched reminds me of Schwarzer Mond, the original MMe Moriarty, and a bit of Banshee Beat. I feel like they would all hang out and be extremely close, loyal friends who share clothes and take swigs out of the same bottle.

Smooched is like Schwarzer Mond's amazingly dark, plush, resins with that cola-like sweetness, and the patchouli turned waaaay up. Then the drydown has the sensual vanilla of Snake Oil/Mme Moriarty, along with the red dragon's blood going all sultry and red-fruity-ish on my skin.

The patchouli is gorgeous all the way through. It's dark, earthy, slightly spicy patchouli that's so rich and perfect. A lot of patchouli blends lately have felt flat, too dry, or sour to my nose, but this one is bold and beautiful.

It smells like an elegant, sensual, oriental perfume. I would have guessed at red musk, vanilla, patchouli, and a hint of honey if I were smelling this blindly. It is fantastic on my skin.

I was trying to be nice by only buying two bottles of this and leaving some for everyone else, but now I wish I had not cared :P. Smooched has already shot up into my bpal top 10, and I love that the label is a picture of itself. I don't know why I find that so amusing.

Honeyed dragon's milk with extra shot of vanilla and spices. It's a very soft, comforting blend. Good throw and wear length.

Everyone digs different things. I think this is a nice comfy blend, but that's it for me.

This is gonna go down as one of the lab's best scents ever imo. It's one of the most perfect BPAL scent I've come across. It's huge, moody, harmonious, dark, sweet, musky, evokes all kinds of imagery and allure. It smells like a mix of Marianne, Snake Charmer and MME Moriarty (edit: and Schwarzer Mond). Leans a bit feminine at the start but dries down to something legendary. I'll never forgive myself for only ordering one bottle.

Edit the following morning: I also agree with those saying this also has a Schwarzer Mond cola vibe.

If you have a chance to buy a bottle of this, do not hesitate. It's absolutely divine.

I really hope the Lab recorded the formula for this mistake in hopes it can be reproduced in the future. It'd be a shame if such a glorious scent was confined to such a limited offering. And I agree with those who say this is the type of blend that will age like a champion.

Edited by nok

I don't even remember ordering this. I am not kidding, I am pretty sure I sleep shopped....anyway, really glad to have it, so go sleeping me? (But srsly, why didn't you get 4??)

Wet: Yes, that is some very patchy SO!! Though as usual in SO, the patch behaves soooo well on my skin. There's something almost peppery happening here too - DB is sometimes "spicy" on me, so maybe that? SO is always sweet on me, I can't say I am picking up extra honey. It's interesting. Not what I was expecting. Can't say that I love that pepperiness I am getting...

Dry: the weird peppery DB dies down a bit, but it's still there. Other than that, it's patchouli heavy Snake Oil on m. I actually like Snake's Kiss quite a bit better, HOWEVER, I am going to age this and reserve full judgment until then.

So, I love Snake Oil, especially the well-aged variety, and Dragon's Milk is my forever-lover-number-one-jam (I have multiple backup bottles, mmmkay?) so I *knew* that this scent was one I had to have.

And it does NOT disappoint.

I agree with the first reviewer's assessment that this is like Dragon's Milk 's older sibling. It's sexy and tougher and that patchouli makes it more intense. But the honey is there to keep it all in balance and makes it wearable right now (unlike original SO for me) while also offering the promise of just how glorious this is going to become with some well-timed aging.

As I originally proclaimed, I got two bottles, one to age, and one to slather immediately, and I stand by that decision- but I might take a little more care in present-day slather because I KNOW this is going to be *phenomenal* later.

I was kind of hoping this wouldn't be amazing, since we're probably never going to see it again (I asked). Alas. It smells like it was made to belong together. Complex, sexy, and very sophisticated.

For fun, I tested Snake Oil and Dragon's Milk and then a layer of the two. None of them really compare with Dragon-Smooched. None of them are as smooth and well-nuanced. SO and Dragon's Milk smell very 'obvious' by comparison. I was really hoping I could dupe Dragon-Smooched with a blend. i haven't managed it yet. It's an instant charmer, and I really wish it was readily available because I think I'm not the only one charmed by it.

Hopefully its popularity will inspire something similar in the days to come.

Edited by starbrow

Not a horrible error at all. An accidental work of art, maybe? I couldn't wait to try this, as I adore Snake Oil and Dragons Blood and it's like the two were meant for each other. In the bottle, I'm getting mostly dbr and a touch of patchouli, no Snake Oil yet. On, mostly patchouli, which I'm feeling a bit bummed about, but don't worry folks, it does fade. At this stage, it's reminding me of Snake Charmer on steroids, in fact it smells more like a Snake Charmer blend to me rather than Snake Oil. Finally, we're getting equal amounts of Snake Charmer (Snake Oil), DBR, and a touch of patchouli. I love this, and if it's this good right out of the mailbox, it's going to be epic aged. So happy to have a bottle, and hope this 'accident' can be re-created somehow... :bunnyluv:

Dragon-Smooched Snake Oil is fab. Snake Oil, honey, moar patch, and dragon's blood are a good combo. This has only improved since it arrived and I suspect it will age well. Resiny, red, and honeyed—Snake Oil with a strong red lip. This would be a great 'going out' perfume.

Dragon-Smooched Snake Oil is powerful stuff. Wet, I barely smell the Snake Oil at all. I get strong, cloying dragon's blood resin, patch and honey. But the SO starts to assert itself pretty quickly, and as it dries down the DBR backs off somewhat. Fresh SO is super sweet on me already, so this is almost overpoweringly sweet, with terrific throw. The extra patch gives it a more structured feeling. It is ridiculously sexy, and I don't even particularly like dragon's blood.

D-SSO lasts longer than most of the SO blends do on me without simply turning into Snake Oil, though it's not still there the next morning the way plain SO might be. Of course this is likely to age magnificently. If I loved dragon's blood, this would be to die for. As it is, it's still pretty great.

Huh.

This is my first encounter with any Snake Oil scent (it is NEVER in stock when I do my big semi-annual orders) and... I'm underwhelmed. This just smells like honeyed Dragon's Milk, though I will say the DB in this smells more faithful. I literally cannot tell where the Snake Oil is.

Next time the original stuff comes back in stock I'm going to have to jump on it and compare.