Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Golden rose, frankincense, and vanilla bean.

Ooh, creamy frankincense!is my first impression wet. Drying, the rose becomes noticeable. It's difficult to put into words the golden aspect of the rose...not quite amberesque, not quite gilded and while I'm searching my memory banks for a description, the vanilla bean pops out, and the the world turns soft and dreamy. It truly is the bean, not foody at all.
The rose is more forward than it Dix, but it's not the star. Everything melds together and I'm left with a gorgeous, womanly scent, like a flirtatious wink. I am really enjoying the atypical roses used, and am thankful for these in perfume form.

This first goes on with an almost buttery, glorious vanilla and a lot of sour-lemony (but in a good way!) frankincense and sour-rosy rose. I think sour makes it sound like it's gone off, but I can't think of a better word - tart isn't quite right. It quickly dries and becomes a soft, gilded rose-frankincense blend with heavenly non-gourmand vanilla to uplift it. I almost didn't get this because I didn't know what to expect from "golden" roses and thought for sure vanilla bean would be a strong note. It's more like a general warm, sweet vibe it gives everything. This makes me think of a cream-colored white rose - it's similar to the Lab's white rose note, and this blend reminds me a little of Parlement of Foules, but it's more vibrant and less polite - and the vanilla bean plus the dry and gorgeous resins together remind me of old books. The rose note doesn't stand out above the other two; it's very well-blended. But I detect it distinctly.

I got this on a whim, but so far it's my favorite Luper. I highly recommend this one to anyone who likes a very elegant, sophisticated rose scent, or anyone who adores frankincense.

Sept is gorgeous, a rose blend for those who love golden scents.

Sept gives a first impression of creamy, warm, golden frankincense, the height of ancient world elegance. The vanilla bean and pale rose open up, too, but very blended in. The frankincense, with its texture that sometimes reminds me of lightly encrusted gold jewelry, is the star.

The vanilla bean is beany and the rose seems yellow-white, and the three listed notes blur into one another.

This smells like the warmth and rich, gold-suffused light of a late-afternoon summer sun.

Bought an imp decant of this on a whim and I really like it. I don't get much of the vanilla other than a soft creaminess but the frankincense and rose blend together beautifully. So far it has good staying power too and occasionally I'll just get a waft of the rose and it's very elegant, as PrinceofcatS put it.

Edited by goblingrin

I've been living in Texas for many a year, and the yellow rose is a favorite of mine, with a face like the sun and a fragrance like honey bees making love to flowers. This is a fully opened yellow rose, made of warm, creamy vanilla with whiffs of glittering frankincense in the background. None of the notes dominate on my skin, each one rises to the top becoming a delicious, decadent scent. The rose never goes powdery or soapy, but remains rich and flowery. The exquisite vanilla frankincense really is the star here, and mellows into blond-caramel deepness which accents the glowing rose perfectly. I can't wait to wear this in the South Texas heat. It's a perfectly simple blend that truly blossoms and becomes something elegant and intoxicating.

Oh wow. This is fantastic. Applied, the creamy vanilla is supported by a glowing frankincense note and the hint of a gentle amberine rose. Warming up it becomes more frankincense and rose smoothed over by that creamy vanilla. Sillage seems on the lower side but I'm hoping to see the lasting power noted above. Definitely a keeper for me.

I usually like stronger rose scents, but Sept is such a pleasant blend of vanilla, frankincense, and rose, it's really hard not to love.

The creamy combo of vanilla and frankincense is the strongest smell, but the rose is not far behind.

Decent longevity and makes for a great, understated smell.

I guess I'm the odd person out because I get no frankincense from this whatsoever. It must be my skin chemistry. The rose is super duper strong and that's all I get. I have a really sensitive nose and work with essential oils often so I'm familiar with several types of frankincense, I just don't smell any in this blend.

In the decant: Golden rose and vanilla bean, backed by a light frankincense.

Wet: Creamy yellow rose, vanilla bean, and frankincense. The frankincense in this one is still really light.

Dry: This one stays really close to the skin. The yellow rose is the star of the show, accompanied by the light sweetness of the vanilla bean. The frankincense during this stage is even lighter than before. I think it mainly serves to add a bit of warmth to the scent. It isn't long before I'm not able to pick out the frankincense at all.

Verdict: I was curious about this one because of the yellow rose note, which I had not tried before. I think it's nice, but it's not really wowing me.

Sept is beautiful—warm and glowing with a comfort and casualness of a good, close friend. This exquisite blend smells first of frankincense and rose immediately applied and begins to dry into a softly sweetened, creamy rose. I think this is my favorite of the Roses in this year’s release.

This one starts out a bit plasticky and strange but that scent does thankfully tone down after a short time. I feel like in order to make this rose a ‘golden’ one there is some sort of amber(s) in this. Alongside the frankincense it results in a very glowing and bright resinous/sweet smell with a touch of an almost lemony scent to it. The lemony aspect is very mild and compliments the barest hint of the rose’s sour note. Meanwhile the rose is actually not the star of the show in this blend, the frankincense is honestly much stronger than it. I get that distinct sweet-and-sour rose smell on closer wrist sniff but in the throw the rose feels more complimentary to the frankincense and (possible) amber(s). The vanilla bean in this is lovely and complimentary, it's not at all a gourmand vanilla, more a perfumey bean. Medium throw but long wear length.

I would call this a sunny rose. There's something so bright and warm about it. I definitely get a good hit of sweet vanilla, and the frankincense is less "gritty" than I normally find it. I think it might be contributing to the brightness as well. Absolutely fabulous scent, and I think I'll need both the perfume and the HG!

Wet: Oooh that's pretty! I have to agree with Roseus, this is a bright warm rose. Sweet and rich as well. I was worried about the Frank. It's likely to amp up as it dries and ruin this, but right now it's lovely and balanced. The rose is golden, the Frank is golden, it's all very golden and glowing.

Dry: This is actually really gorgeous. Sweet rose and rich vanilla. The Frank doesn't steal the show for once, just adds to the richness, sweetness, and glowing quality that this has. I kind of love it. May need a bottle.

After reading reviews I ordered Sept, it sounded right up my alley. Let me tell you, I am NOT disappointed! It's lovely.

When very first applied and wet for some reason popcorn or butter popped into my head. But it was gone in like 2 seconds. Vanilla and frankincense are the most prominent notes on me for the first couple of minutes, a creamy sweet vanilla that blends so beautifully with the frankincense they are indistinguishable. The rose comes through after drying and the combination is just really pretty.

I love rose but it always always fades on my skin. After an hour it's usually gone. But Sept is still going strong a couple of hours later. The rose has gotten stronger and creamier as time goes by. It ended up being rose dominant for sure.

Sept is gorgeous, a total win. I'm super happy I have a bottle. I would even go so far as to say that on a shelf filled with rose blends like Peacock Queen, Rose Red, The Rose and Harlot, I would choose Sept. It will be perfect for a night out, at home, at work, anytime I want to feel beautiful.

I almost passed this one by, which would have been a BPAL tragedy! I had to make some culls from my initial decant order, and Sept bit the dust. And then the reviews started coming in...and I finally decided to track down a decant and give it a try. Wow, this is gorgeous.

It's pretty simple, really--a beautifully sophisticated "perfumy" rose, with a slight hint of foodiness from the vanilla. I can't make out frankincense, but that's the way rose and frank work on me; they blend seamlessly. I love it.

Frankincense & rose & vanilla, in that order.

Wet, the frank is the one that starts a little sharp on my skin. I haven't been reaching for Sept often, as it takes around 20 min. for the sharpness to diffuse. Once that stage had passed, it's very light on me. Airy & bright, not a lot of throw.

Maybe the frank will mellow with age. For now, it's cheerful, but not especially memorable.

2019 edit: Yes, the frank has mellowed with age. The vanilla is also more prominent. I like Sept a lot more in 2019. A good balance of sweet, floral, & resinous.

2021 edit: 3 years later, Sept is two different scents on my skin vs. in a locket.  On me, the rose/vanilla leads, with a dry frankincense dry-down. In a locket, the dry frankincense has more longevity and throw. 

Edited by Teamama

In the bottle and wet on my skin this smells like sweet rose petals, buttery shortbread cookie crumbs and marshmallow all mixed up together; I think it's the frankincense/ vanilla combo giving me the cookie vibe, had a similar thing happen with Alisz. The cookie smell does die down once dry which I'm happy about, and I end up with a very sweet, warm rose scent with a comforting (non-cookie) frankincense background. I think I prefer the yellow rose to red as red can be a bit dry on me, but yellow seems lighter and more sweet.

I really like this one. Cheerful and it doesn't hit people around you over the head with ROSE. Rose Cross was too dry for me but the frankincense and rose here is a lighter mood. 

starting off i smell rose and a slightly nutty vanilla. after about 5 minutes, the nuttiness is gone and the rose is getting stronger along with the frankincense which adds a warmth in the background. at first i wasn't so sure about this because the rose was a bit strong and somewhat sour, but after the frankincense balances it out, it's just gorgeous!