Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Black rose, dried apricot, and black fig.

Because I ran a decant circle, I had the chance to sniff (most) of the perfumes and compare them with (most) of the matching hair glosses. (I don't wear most rose notes or hair gloss myself, so my reviews will be more nose-test and less wear-test.)

Huit-the-hair-gloss opens with the black rose in front and a woodsy-green fig note behind. It smells like a rose-toned black Gothic funeral veil. It smells like the shadows in the beautiful but evil queen's formal robe. The secondary notes stay woodsy rather than fruity.

Huit-the-perfume needed time to rest after the mailbox, or maybe after the stress of its creation. On first decant it was a black and severe rose with bitter, woodsy-green fig behind and no juice at all. After the dregs sat for a week in the bottle and breathed, the fruit came to the foreground and Huit overall became more rounded, balanced between sweet, but not too sweet, apricot in the front, and black-rose-green-figwood in the back.

The rose component stays a flat ROSE throughout - kind of a matte rose scent? - but definitely black and straight rose with no fruit or tea.

If you love the notes but the wearing experience isn't what you wanted, you should definitely try layering the two.

Dark rose, apricot and a whiff of fig. This to me is mainly an apricot scented rose. Medium throw and wear length. The rose is not very present. It was more like rosewood if you ask me.

I expected to really like this scent, so I got a 1oz of the HG rather than just a little tester. When I tried my decant of the perfume though, I was not a fan. Hopefully this translates better for me as a gloss.

At first there as a blast of rose, and I love it. Then I get something that smells suspiciously like orange blossom...but then it comes back around to rose. It's that sort of "astringent" rose that tricks my nose into thinking there is citrus involved. I get a bit or tart apricot, but the fig is lost completed. I am sad, as I adore these three notes, but for whatever reason they just don't come together well on me. This isn't bad, mind you. It's still a pleasant rose scent. Just not the glory I was expecting.

Hmmm. I am getting only intense rose and no fig or dried apricot. It is a very strong rose. (Not a complaint!) I will retest an a few months to see if the fruits come out a bit.