Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Dark Alice

We Believe that Death is Not the End of Man

Black terebinth, tamil nadu sandalwood, frankincense, black chestnut, and myrrh.

Wet: Smooth myrrh, frankincense and chestnuts. Dry: Something unbelievably pleasant and gorgeous. The pine peeks out for just a minute and then it is fades beautifully with the rest of the notes. I love it! :wub2:

Pine, myrrh, frankincense and a touch of sandalwood. It's a resinous pine blend. Slightly masculine. Great throw, good wear length.

Wet, dark sharp pine and dry frankincense. I really wanted to try this because I love chestnut, but I'm wondering if black chestnut refers to the tree and not to the nut. At any rate, I didn't get any earthy nutty roasted chestnut, certainly no marrons glaces, but this does dry into a really beautiful unisex blend. The pine and frank soften and blend with the myrrh and it's a forest at nighttime, dark but not frightening -- a really lovely evocation of the concept.

Late-breaking news, this is gorgeous. It immediately reminded me of (and I know this is weirdly specific) going to the Disney Store in the mall, which has a specific smooth, polished wood kind of smell, perhaps combined with perfume kiosks? The listed notes may sound masculine, but I'm not getting strongly feminine OR masculine vibes from this cool, slinky wood. There's no scary resins to my nose, just a very creamy darkness that almost reminds me of leather. Black terebinth is the most prominent note I'm getting, with the others supremely blended into an elegant, high-end finish.

For funsies, I put it up against Ranger, which shares the Terebinth pine and leathery backdrop. They are definitely in the same family, but Ranger is the berry-streaked, sharply piney, buckskin-wearing outdoorsy cousin, whereas We Believe is the cool, tall-dark-and-handsome aristocratic cousin who always wears gloves when he (or she) rides and has a wardrobe of impeccably-fitted black frockcoats.

I had to get a bottle of this, without question!

Agree with the other reviewers, pine on top, resins underneath. If only I didn't have such bad scent associations with pine! Still, I think this would make a lovely home scent.

Like the pitch black center of a pine forest at night. Think Black Forest but darker. The darkest woods, nuts, resins, tar. I love it!

i picked this up secondhand because the notes sounded really beautiful and this is indeed a beautiful combination. in the bottle it’s not exactly “piney” but somewhat camphoraceous, i think it’s the frankincense coming through.

freshly applied this is all about the frankincense and sandalwood, in a really warm, golden, resinous way. the pine and chestnut are definitely not prominent at this phase. i’m not fully confident about my chestnut identification abilities but they seem to be blending in with the other notes rather than giving this blend a nutty or foodie vibe. 

the throw is moderate and decreases as the sandalwood and frankincense fade from prominence (around the 2 hour mark for my small test patch). they are still in the background but the pine comes out a little more strongly for me at this point.