Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Black oudh and carnation.

I love the Lab's simpler blends. Give me a scent with just two notes that I happen to love.

This is no exception. Of the Lupers I've tried this one is my favorite.

The Black Oudh in this reminds me of a lighter version of the Motor Oil note in Streets of Detroit.

Combine that with a spicy carnation that's present but not overpowering and you have an awesome combo that smells like a gritty, dark, spicy carnation. :biggrin:

This is mostly dark, dark oudh on me. Chew with your teeth and fangs smoky oudh. Perhaps a bit of the carnation petal in the background, but it's also a deep russet red, and not particularly flashy. The wood is the star here.

Oof. This is straight dark, filthy, animalistic oudh on me. Rub-your-face-in-the-dirt oudh. After about an hour or so it smooths out and calms down a bit, but I was hoping for more carnation; this is still too much for me.

Dark, smoky oudh that smells like it has jasmine in it, and doing unpleasant things to my skin at the moment. I occasionally get whiffs of carnation but then something smoky and oily underneath. Great throw, of course. Yeah, this isn't working for me at all.

Big dark indolic oudh versus carnation. Carnation loses, big time. I'm going to age my decant a bit to see if the carnation bucks up at all, but I'm not hopeful.

So simple but delightful. I like blending this with Vasilissa. Alone I smell like a field of carnations. I don't pick up much of the oudh tho.

So when I got my decant last year, all I smelled was animalic dark skanky oudh with hardly any carnation.

Now it has had time to age and finally I can wear it, the oudh isn't that bad anymore and I can smell carnation underneath! Also it's not skanky anymore, it's still dark and animalic but totally wearable! 😊

Aging seems to do wonders with black oudh on me. Lucky me, only have to wait a year 😅

In the decant: Oudh. 

On my skin:

Wet, it's still all oudh, sharp and woody. As it dries, it becomes more pungent and -- well, let's face it: At this stage, the oudh is both dominant and stinky on me. Half an hour later, and the oudh is still sour and woodsy and strong. 

Aaaand.... this is just not getting any better on me. I'm usually fairly neutral about oudh, but the oudh in this blend is just not agreeing with me. 

Wet: Carnation and oudh. The oudh is stronger than the carnation, and.. is rather stinky to me. (To be fair - oudh and I typically don't like each other.)

Dry: The oudh kicked the carnation to the curb; it's all oudh, all the time.

Not my jam.

Black oudh is fantastic. I'm just not picking up any carnation! I agree with other reviewers that it's similar to Streets of Detroit. Thick, viscous oudh. It's very cool and don't-fuck-with-me.

Edited by tinyvulture

Coming back, my bottle has aged 3 years, just a dribble left. It smells of deep fragrant woody oudh, & fresh, powdery carnations. Yet again, so so simple, but fantastic, nonetheless. I've received many compliments on this one.